Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - mbgross - 01-15-2024 09:26 AM

Appomattox surrender site?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 01-15-2024 09:26 AM

The room appears to be draped in black for mourning

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 01-15-2024 09:56 AM

The Edwards' home when Mary died? But it rather looks like a home draped to mourn Abraham Lincoln himself...

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 01-15-2024 11:19 AM

Good thinking, Gene and Eva! It is indeed the black-draped parlor in the Lincoln home at the time of the Springfield funeral.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 01-17-2024 04:39 PM

Scott asked me to post this photo in the trivia category. Scott will pose the question when he logs on and sees I have posted the photo.

[Image: scotttrivia.JPG]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - STS Lincolnite - 01-17-2024 06:11 PM

(01-17-2024 04:39 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Scott asked me to post this photo in the trivia category. Scott will pose the question when he logs on and sees I have posted the photo.

[Image: scotttrivia.JPG]

This is a location that is associated with Mr. Lincoln. Your mission, should you choose to accept, is to answer a couple of questions. How is this site related to Mr. Lincoln? and Where is the location? Good luck! (please try not to use google reverse image search - though I'm not sure how well it would work anyway)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - mbgross - 01-17-2024 07:03 PM

I'll make two wrong attempts. Farmington, the home of the Speed clan or Ashland, the home of Henry Clay. Both are in KY.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - STS Lincolnite - 01-18-2024 09:36 AM

Both very reasonable attempts, but alas neither are correct. I will see if a couple more people make attempts and then if needed, I will give a clue or two.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 01-18-2024 10:57 AM

My eyes think I may be seeing water in the background (far right in photo). Can you tell us if the building in question is on a river or body of water?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Dennis Urban - 01-18-2024 12:55 PM

My uneducated, seat of the pants, no googling guess is the home of Herndon, from which he wrote his bio of AL?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - STS Lincolnite - 01-18-2024 01:07 PM

(01-18-2024 10:57 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  My eyes think I may be seeing water in the background (far right in photo). Can you tell us if the building in question is on a river or body of water?

Roger, the site does not sit on a river or on a body of water and no water actually appears in this photo.

But as a first clue, there is a creek about two miles away with a name that most on this site would recognize.

(01-18-2024 12:55 PM)Dennis Urban Wrote:  My uneducated, seat of the pants, no googling guess is the home of Herndon, from which he wrote his bio of AL?

Dennis, your guess is incorrect. Mr. Herndon has not relationship to his site. I do however very much appreciate your creative attempt!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 01-18-2024 07:09 PM

Is the site in Illinois? It looks northern to me...Is it related to Abraham Lincoln in person? Has he been there? Or someone he was close to? Finally - it is not related to his assassination, is it?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - STS Lincolnite - 01-21-2024 01:21 PM

(01-18-2024 07:09 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Is the site in Illinois? It looks northern to me...Is it related to Abraham Lincoln in person? Has he been there? Or someone he was close to? Finally - it is not related to his assassination, is it?

Eva, the site is NOT in Illinois.

In answer to your questions and to give a couple of more clues:

The site is not related to his assassination.
Lincoln has visited this site. The visit is documented by primary source material.
The visit occurred between 1860 and 1865.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 01-21-2024 03:32 PM

Was it related to Lincoln's trip when he gave the Cooper Union speech?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - STS Lincolnite - 01-21-2024 04:11 PM

(01-21-2024 03:32 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Was it related to Lincoln's trip when he gave the Cooper Union speech?

A good attempt, Roger, but this is not related to Lincoln's trip to deliver his Cooper Union Address.