Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Anita - 06-28-2023 06:12 PM

(06-28-2023 12:22 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Brilliant, Anita! Yes, it was a snowball.

"There were two arrests made by the Syracuse police that morning. In the first one, a boy was charged with throwing a snowball at Lincoln. The second arrest was quite unique. "A cross eyed rag-picker was also arrested for squinting at the President, it being supposed that the vulgar creature was ‘making mouths' at Abraham." How times have changed! Is it possible to get arrested in this day and age for squinting at someone? It seems that a poor homeless man was arrested for looking strangely at Lincoln! One wonders what price he paid for his devious deed."

https://buffaloah.com/h/fagant/linc.html

Lucky guess based on location and time of year.
Poor ragpicker. I wonder if Lincoln knew about this for surely he wouldn't have approved!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 07-04-2023 06:07 AM

No googling please.

The following is a story told about Abraham Lincoln. As Lincoln was walking to work one day he was approached by an agitated animal. Lincoln put his face to the animal's face and said what is below. What kind of animal was it?

"Now there isn't any good reason why you should want to harm me; and there isn't any good reason why I should want to harm you. The world is big enough for both of us to live in. If you behave yourself as you ought to, and if I behave myself like I ought to, we will live in peace and harmony like good neighbors."

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 07-04-2023 06:21 AM

Like most of the others , I'm sure, Ive read this somewhere but cannot recall the animal. I'll guess a skunk

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 07-04-2023 07:03 AM

Cow ?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 07-04-2023 08:15 AM

Nope, not a skunk or cow.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - David Lockmiller - 07-04-2023 10:21 AM

Goat?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 07-04-2023 11:02 AM

I'll be a little wilder and say a wolf.

Best
Rob

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 07-04-2023 11:11 AM

Horse ?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 07-04-2023 11:56 AM

Kudos, David! It was a goat. According to the story the neighborhood boys were riling up the goat and trying to get the goat to butt people as they walked by. Abraham Lincoln walked by and got hold of the goat's horns and told the goat what I stated in the question. The story is on p. 313 in volume II of Sandburg's "The Prairie Years."

RE: Extra Credit Questions - David Lockmiller - 07-04-2023 12:36 PM

(07-04-2023 11:56 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Kudos, David! It was a goat. According to the story the neighborhood boys were riling up the goat and trying to get the goat to butt people as they walked by. Abraham Lincoln walked by and got hold of the goat's horns and told the goat what I stated in the question. The story is on p. 313 in volume II of Sandburg's "The Prairie Years."

I remember "the story of the neighborhood boys riling up the goat" and standing by to see the fun, but I did not read the "story on p. 313 in volume II of Sandburg's "The Prairie Years." I do not remember where I read it, but I remember Lincoln stooping down and looking the goat "eye to eye" and explaining his position to the goat. It must have been one of the boys who told the story to a biographer many years later.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 07-04-2023 09:35 PM

Who said that he was one of Abraham Lincoln's uncles even though he and everyone else knew that he was not a blood relative ?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 07-05-2023 05:09 AM

Ward Hill Lamon?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 07-05-2023 06:36 AM

Sorry, Roger. Not Mr Lamon.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Wild Bill - 07-05-2023 06:53 AM

Dennis Hanks

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 07-05-2023 07:50 AM

No, Bill, not Dennis Hanks. But getting warmer.

It may assist if I write

The man said that he was Thomas Lincoln's brother

(i.e Abraham's uncle) ... even though he and everyone else knew that he was not a blood relative.