Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 04-08-2023 04:41 AM

When he was a lawyer in the courtroom?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 04-08-2023 05:28 AM

No, sorry, Roger. Not the answer I'm after.

There's a partial connection to one of my earlier questions.

Googling is fine.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 04-08-2023 06:57 AM

How about in this image?

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Abraham_Lincoln_by_Von_Schneidau,_1854.jpg

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 04-08-2023 07:31 AM

Yes ! You win the chockies, Roger. Eat them quick before the Use By Date.

After one of the debates with Douglas ...

"On Sunday, 11 July, Lincoln joined two friends for dinner, Isaac N. Arnold and George Schneider, after
which the three strolled down Lake Street, passing a daguerreotype studio owned by Schneider's Swedish
friend, Polycarpus von Schneidau....

The picture shows a different Lincoln from earlier photographs. "There is a look of craftiness in the half-closed eyes and the slightly twisted lips, as though the campaigner has just scored a clever point. This is the intellectual Lincoln,
his features alert and intense and his mind sharpened by the clash with Douglas" (Rinhart)

[attachment=3421]

( I think the observer was using a degree of imagination in the description)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 04-09-2023 05:34 AM

No googling please.

Abraham Lincoln and family arrived in Washington in late 1847 after Abraham had earlier been elected to the House of Representatives. The family took a room at Mrs. Sprigg's boardinghouse. What building today rests on the site of Mrs. Sprigg's boardinghouse?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 04-09-2023 08:31 AM

A Chinese restaurant ... or maybe I'm mixing that up with ... no I'll go with that.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Anita - 04-09-2023 12:15 PM

I just searched my photos from a trip to DC years ago. I remember looking for the location of Mrs. Sprigg's boardinghouse when we went to the Library of Congress. Is it either part of the LOC or a public building next to it?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 04-09-2023 12:58 PM

Michael, you probably were thinking of Mary Surratt's boardinghouse. Anita, you are correct. Kudos! My source says the Jefferson Building of the Library of Congress.

[Image: DuffGreenRow_det.jpg]
Mrs. Sprigg's boardinghouse (second from left)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 04-09-2023 08:13 PM

Yes, Roger. I was indeed thinking of Mary Surratt's.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 04-10-2023 08:07 PM

What is depicted in this sketch?

[Image: whatisdepictedhere.jpg]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 04-11-2023 07:10 AM

The gentleman in the center of the crowd appears to be holding a book, perhaps a bible.
Could be for a funeral or a wedding.
I'll guess Nancy Hanks funeral.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 04-11-2023 08:45 AM

Brilliant, Gene! On October 5, 1818, Nancy Hanks Lincoln passed away at the age of 34. In later years, Abraham would recall helping to carve pegs for his mother's coffin. Thomas Lincoln hauled the coffin, which was made of green pine, on a sled to the top of a thickly wooded hill and buried Nancy without a formal funeral service. Several months later, the Reverend David Elkins preached a funeral sermon above Nancy's grave.

Source of image: page 60 of The Every-Day Life of Abraham Lincoln by Francis Fisher Browne.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - David Lockmiller - 04-11-2023 11:24 AM

(04-11-2023 08:45 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Brilliant, Gene! On October 5, 1818, Nancy Hanks Lincoln passed away at the age of 34. In later years, Abraham would recall helping to carve pegs for his mother's coffin. Thomas Lincoln hauled the coffin, which was made of green pine, on a sled to the top of a thickly wooded hill and buried Nancy without a formal funeral service. Several months later, the Reverend David Elkins preached a funeral sermon above Nancy's grave.

Source of image: page 60 of The Every-Day Life of Abraham Lincoln by Francis Fisher Browne.

Abraham Lincoln would have been nine and a half years old at the time.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 04-11-2023 12:23 PM

I may not be brilliant, but I found an excellent, but slightly different web site where I remembered seeing that sketch - https://rogerjnorton.com/Lincoln81.html

Big Grin

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 04-19-2023 05:54 AM

No googling please.

This little boy is holding something. What is it?

[Image: Otis1.JPG]