Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 01-12-2022 06:50 PM

A religious preacher?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 01-12-2022 07:15 PM

Theodore Parker?

Best
Rob

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 01-13-2022 05:43 AM

Michael and Rob --> you both are now getting very warm.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 01-13-2022 03:18 PM

Hint #2: He was a candidate for President in 1844.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 01-13-2022 04:26 PM

Hint #2.5: He was killed several months before the Presidential election in 1844.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 01-13-2022 04:50 PM

Joseph Smith?

Best
Rob

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 01-14-2022 05:53 AM

Excellent, Rob. Indeed it was Joseph Smith, the Mormon leader. As far as I know, there is no evidence Smith and Abraham Lincoln ever met. It is known, however, that Lincoln did some reading about the Mormons while President. On November 18, 1861, the following books were borrowed from the Library of Congress and sent to the White House at Lincoln's request: John Williams Gunnison's Mormons, or Latter Day Saints, John Hyde's Mormonism:Its Leaders and Designs, and Joseph Smith, Jr.'s The Book of Mormon; An Account Taken by the Hand of Mormon from the Plates of Nephi.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 02-23-2022 06:55 PM

Please, no googling. Thanks.

A person memorialized Edward Baker in a poem after Colonel Baker was killed in action at the Battle of Ball's Bluff.

The first line of the poem:

"There was no patriot like Baker"

What is the name of the person who wrote the poem?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 02-23-2022 08:00 PM

Walt Whitman would be too easy, so I'll get that out of the way early on.

Best
Rob

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Susan Higginbotham - 02-23-2022 08:04 PM

Willie Lincoln.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 02-24-2022 05:52 AM

Right on Susan! I did not know about Willie's poem until hearing about it during the History Channel's series on Lincoln. For the words, please see Dr. Samuel Wheeler's page here:

http://lincolnstudies.blogspot.com/2007/10/lines-on-death-of-col-edward-d-baker.html

Also, note the first comment below the poem on that page. Any opinions?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - David Lockmiller - 02-24-2022 06:54 AM

(02-24-2022 05:52 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Right on Susan! I did not know about Willie's poem until hearing about it during the History Channel's series on Lincoln. For the words, please see Dr. Samuel Wheeler's page here:

http://lincolnstudies.blogspot.com/2007/10/lines-on-death-of-col-edward-d-baker.html

Also, note the first comment below the poem on that page. Any opinions?

I believe William W. Lincoln wrote the entire poem.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 03-29-2022 11:41 AM

No googling, use of books, etc., please.

During President-elect Abraham Lincoln's Inaugural train ride the tracks passed by a cemetery where a previous President was buried. The train slowed, and Lincoln stood on the rear platform. With his hat off, the President-elect bowed out of respect.

What was the name of this deceased President?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Anita - 03-29-2022 03:34 PM

I'm trying to remember the inaugural train route which I think went through Ohio- if so it could be Pres. Harrison. I also think it went through Massachusetts so it could be John Adams.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 03-29-2022 05:22 PM

Kudos, Anita!! Yes, Abraham Lincoln's inaugural train passed the grave of William Henry Harrison on February 12, 1861. Members of Harrison's surviving family were at the gravesite as the train slowly passed the town of North Bend, Ohio.