Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 10-23-2012 07:21 PM

Why isn't the U.S. Grant Association spearheading a preservation movement?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 10-24-2012 08:38 AM

Laurie: I wonder if that is something they would be involved in? I guess it would be a good place to start.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 10-25-2012 12:27 AM

Dr. Loomis stops at a gas station for fuel. He is on the trail of a killer. He steps inside the gas station garage and finds a worker that has been killed. As he walks into the office of the gas station he finds another dead body. On the wall of the office where a pay phone is hanging, there are framed pictures of Abraham Lincoln all over the wall. Trivia question: What movie am I describing a scene from?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-25-2012 08:56 AM

I am quite sure this is probably wrong, but I'll say Psycho.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 10-25-2012 09:01 AM

Roger, good morning! Who is that gentleman in your avatar? He looks familiar to me.

Psycho is a good guess but is incorrect.

Everytime I see the movie I'm always puzzed by the placement of the Lincoln pictures on the wall. Obviously, it was intentional. Perhaps the Director or Producer were Lincoln fans. Another guess?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 10-25-2012 09:14 AM

Halloween?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-25-2012 09:17 AM

Bill, the avatar comes from Samuel Seymour's appearance on I've Got a Secret in 1956. He was the last surviving person who was present at Ford's on April 14, 1865.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 10-25-2012 09:32 AM

Roger, I didn't recall the fellow's name- but that's who I thought it was!
Gene: Actually, the answer is Halloween 4 -but it's a great guess and close enough!

Your prize is a free fill-up at that gas station-which I think was supposed to be somewhere in Illinois. If you find it-watch out for Michael Myers. After all, its only six more days till Halloween. Smile

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 10-25-2012 06:05 PM

To the Lincoln Discussion Board members, in particular, who were/are teachers-I know you'll relate to my personal sadness at reading that my elementary school in Detroit is abandoned and scheduled to be torn down. The story is here:

http://abesblogcabin.org/chandler-elementary-school-building-in-detroit-to-be-torn-down

Make sure you click on the link provided on the posting to see photographs of the school-both exterior and interior. Sad

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-25-2012 06:12 PM

Very sad, Bill.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 10-25-2012 06:14 PM

I'm almost in tears. To see the great places-the landmarks in the city-go down the way it has is so heartbreaking. And, of course, Chandler School was my very first school-so it means so much to me personally.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 10-25-2012 07:00 PM

Chandler was the type of structure that my daughter (now 39) used to admire when she was in elementary school and high school. Her elementary and high schools were typical sprawling monsters of the 1950-75 style. When we would drive through Washington, however, most of the schools looked like Chandler, and Jen decided that they looked like what schools should look like!

What is even sadder to me was to see that your school was obviously shut down with bulletin boards intact, books still in classrooms, and student papers -- all of which are now just garbage to be bulldozed into a pile of rubble and trucked to a dump some place.

My high school was built in 1942 and demolished about 1972. I remember going to it and gathering some bricks when it was torn down. They now line some of my flower beds.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - BettyO - 10-26-2012 06:59 AM

I'm so very, very sorry, Bill!

What a beautiful old school -- reminds me of MY elementary school, Robert Fulton -- ah - the WONDERFUL memories of my childhood there!

What is equally sad is what has been done to this wonderful old school, Chandler! I can't believe that they are going to tear it down with the books and papers strewn all over -- NEVER, NEVER throw away a book! I always get a sad feeling when I see books discarded. If noone wants them here, there are third world countries in which English could be taught and the children instructed - or in poorer areas of the US as well these books could and would be appreciated and useful. Very sad indeed.

Fortunately, my old elementary school (circa 1917) was saved and turned into artists' studios - and yes, I've been back and been inside - oh the memories!! One thing that struck me was how SMALL everything looked now.... as opposed to when I was 5-12 years old! The same fur trees are still there that I used to play under at recess! You can see them in left side of the photo here....

[Image: fultonhillstudios.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Robert Fulton Elementary School, Richmond, VA

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 10-26-2012 04:35 PM

Betty: your old school is very cool looking. How wonderful that it was spared. I feel like a part of my childhood is being lost forever. Thanks for sharing your school's story!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 10-26-2012 08:31 PM

(10-26-2012 06:59 AM)BettyO Wrote:  I'm so very, very sorry, Bill!

What a beautiful old school -- reminds me of MY elementary school, Robert Fulton -- ah - the WONDERFUL memories of my childhood there!

What is equally sad is what has been done to this wonderful old school, Chandler! I can't believe that they are going to tear it down with the books and papers strewn all over -- NEVER, NEVER throw away a book! I always get a sad feeling when I see books discarded. If noone wants them here, there are third world countries in which English could be taught and the children instructed - or in poorer areas of the US as well these books could and would be appreciated and useful. Very sad indeed.

Fortunately, my old elementary school (circa 1917) was saved and turned into artists' studios - and yes, I've been back and been inside - oh the memories!! One thing that struck me was how SMALL everything looked now.... as opposed to when I was 5-12 years old! The same fur trees are still there that I used to play under at recess! You can see them in left side of the photo here....

[Image: fultonhillstudios.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Robert Fulton Elementary School, Richmond, VA

Betty,

On occasion I go back to my old neighborhood and parish on the far southwest side of Chicago and I, too, see things as being small. As a child I saw them as gigantic--through the eyes of a child. I then have to dig out old photos to remember and be comforted as to how it looked in the past!!

Joe