Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 10-12-2020 03:17 PM

Edwin Stanton?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-12-2020 03:24 PM

Nope, not Stanton, Michael. Congratulations to Rob! Indeed it was Horace Greeley!! The quote came from a speech given by Greeley. I do not have a specific date for the speech. Good thinking, Rob!

My source for the quote: Lincoln as I Knew Him: Gossip, Tributes, and Revelations from His Best Friends and Worst Enemies edited by Harold Holzer, p. 111.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 10-13-2020 05:39 AM

Which US President joined the army when he ceased being President?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-13-2020 07:07 AM

I know John Tyler was very anti-Lincoln, but I do not recall ever reading that he joined the Confederate army. Still, I'll guess John Tyler.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rogerm - 10-13-2020 08:05 AM

Did Dwight Eisenhower re-join the Army after his presidency, so that he could still be classified as a general?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 10-13-2020 04:44 PM

Sorry, RogerN, not John Tyler ... but well done Rogerm!!! I admit that I took a punt on Eisenhower being the only one. .... so I don't know about Tyler.

My hint would have been that Eisenhower painted another President ..... I think you can guess which one. Or you know and don't need to guess.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-15-2020 07:20 AM

No googling, please.

What is the name of the person who noted the following about President Lincoln?

"The figure, the look, the gait are distinctly impress'd upon me yet; the unusual and uncouth height, the dress of complete black, the stovepipe hat push'd back on the head, the dark-brown complexion, the seam'd and wrinkled yet canny-looking face, the black, bushy head of hair, the disproportionately long neck, and the hands held behind as he stood observing the people."

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 10-15-2020 03:41 PM

I know this sounds suspect, but when I first read this I thought of "When Lilacs Last in Dooryard Bloom'd" because of the "'d" in the statement, so I'm going to say Walt Whitman (sorry, Mike).

Best
Rob

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-15-2020 05:30 PM

You nailed it on the first try, Rob. Excellent!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 01-05-2021 01:16 PM

No googling please.

Sarah Bush Johnston Lincoln, Abraham Lincoln's stepmother, spent time in a jail.

Why?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 01-05-2021 03:32 PM

Wasn't her first husband the jailer and the local jail was also their home.

It's no wonder that she told Herndon that Abraham never gave her any trouble growing up. All the kids were probably scared half to death what she'd do to them if they caused her any grief.

Which reminds me, my dad grew up on a farm in Oklahoma during the depression. He said his brothers and sisters always obeyed their mom. They'd seen her ring a chicken's neck and chop off it's head.
He has six brothers and sisters. Who among the neighbors was gonna notice one fewer kid? Smile

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 01-05-2021 04:29 PM

Good memory, Gene! Daniel Johnston married Sarah Bush on March 13, 1806. On November 14, 1814, Johnston received an appointment of jailer of Hardin County, KY. The jail was constructed of stone, and the living quarters for the jailer's family were on the first floor of the building; prisoners were kept in the dungeon below. This was not a pleasant place for Sarah and the couple's children to live. For a year and a half the family dwelt in the jail.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 01-05-2021 07:34 PM

To what was Lincoln referring when he said it not only made people in Louisiana richer, but also improved the quality of life of New Yorkers?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rogerm - 01-05-2021 10:56 PM

Was he referring to trade along the Mississippi River?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 01-06-2021 12:51 AM

No, Roger. But you're thinking along the correct theme.