Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-10-2020 06:52 AM

I am sorry, Bill, but it's not Sumner.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - David Lockmiller - 10-10-2020 08:25 AM

Who wrote in a letter the following words, to whom, from where, and when?

I can’t write any more today. I may see you before long — I don’t know — & so I won’t waste time by telling you what you must know as well as I do.

I believe Lincoln is well understood by the people. . . .

Bancroft’s address was a disgraceful exhibition of ignorance and prejudice. His effeminate nature shrinks instinctively from the contact of a great reality like Lincoln's character.

I consider Lincoln Republicanism incarnate — with all its faults and all its virtues. And in spite of some rudenesses, Republicanism is the sole hope of a sick world, so Lincoln with all his foibles, is the greatest character since Christ.

[End of letter]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-10-2020 08:56 AM

David, please let us finish one trivia question before beginning another. Thanks.

Hint #1: This person has been mentioned many times on this forum beginning in 2012.

Hint #2: The quote I used was reported by his sister.

Hint #3: I could probably have logically put my trivia question in another trivia thread.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Susan Higginbotham - 10-10-2020 09:19 AM

John Wilkes Booth?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-10-2020 09:37 AM

Kudos, Susan. Yes, these words were reported by John Wilkes Booth's sister, Asia.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - David Lockmiller - 10-10-2020 10:30 AM

(10-10-2020 08:56 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  David, please let us finish one trivia question before beginning another. Thanks.

I apologize, Roger. In the past, I have not participated very much in this thread. I will not make the same mistake again.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 10-10-2020 10:45 AM

I knew it was a Southerner, but I thought Booth would have been too easy. Well-played, Roger!

Best
Rob

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-10-2020 10:52 AM

(10-10-2020 10:45 AM)Rob Wick Wrote:  I knew it was a Southerner, but I thought Booth would have been too easy. Well-played, Roger!

Best
Rob

Thanks, Rob. Indeed I did not think it would last as long as it did.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-10-2020 01:51 PM

David, regarding your question...this was obviously written by a person who greatly admired Lincoln, so I shall guess Grant.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - David Lockmiller - 10-10-2020 03:18 PM

(10-10-2020 01:51 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  David, regarding your question...this was obviously written by a person who greatly admired Lincoln, so I shall guess Grant.

Grant is not the correct answer, Roger.

Hints 1 & 2: The letter was written in Paris, France (not Illinois) in September, 1866.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Susan Higginbotham - 10-10-2020 04:09 PM

John Hay?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - David Lockmiller - 10-10-2020 05:40 PM

(10-10-2020 04:09 PM)Susan Higginbotham Wrote:  John Hay?

Susan, John Hay is the correct answer.

John Hay to William H. Herndon.
Paris, September 5. 1866.

The letter reads in the beginning:

My Dear Mr. Herndon

I am so constantly busy that I have had no quiet day in which I write you what you desired in your letter several months ago. I have been Chargč d'Affaires nearly all summer, my day filled with official business and my night with social engagements equally imperative. Even now, I write because I am ashamed to wait any longer and have a few minutes disposable. I will answer your questions as you put them without any attempt at arrangement.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-11-2020 05:14 PM

No googling, please.

What is the name of the person who noted the following about President Lincoln?

"He was not a born king of men but a child of the common people, who made himself a great persuader, therefore a leader, by dint of firm resolve, patient effort, and dogged perseverance. He slowly won his way to eminence and fame by doing the work that lay next to him – doing it with all his growing might – doing it as well as he could, and learning by his failure, when failure was encountered, how to do it better."

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 10-12-2020 04:30 AM

I'll try Walt Whitman (must be him one of these questions and the words do , I think, sound like him .... )

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-12-2020 04:51 AM

Good guess, Michael, but it's not Whitman.

Hint #1: This man was well-known in the business he was in. If I mentioned the business, I think folks would get the answer right away.