Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Steve Whitlock - 08-11-2020 11:40 AM

(08-11-2020 06:59 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Sometimes, yes, Michael. But I am sorry...not this time. It was not Booth's quote.

Hint #1: The correct person has been discussed on this forum. It is not a new name to folks here.
Roger,

Shame on me, the answer is in my own notes. I'll let someone else answer. I knew I had read it fairly recently.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-11-2020 12:16 PM

Thanks, Steve. I thought you might get this one! OK, we shall see if someone can pick the right person.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 08-11-2020 12:26 PM

Fredrick Douglas ?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 08-11-2020 12:43 PM

Ward Hill Lamon?

Best
Rob

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-11-2020 04:05 PM

Kudos, Gene. Indeed it was Frederick Douglass. Later that day he went to the White House, and he had difficulties entering until Abraham Lincoln came upon the scene.

I came across the quote while reading Every Drop of Blood: The Momentous Second Inauguration of Abraham Lincoln by Edward Achorn.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Steve Whitlock - 08-11-2020 05:11 PM

(08-11-2020 04:05 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Kudos, Gene. Indeed it was Frederick Douglass. Later that day he went to the White House, and he had difficulties entering until Abraham Lincoln came upon the scene.

I came across the quote while reading Every Drop of Blood: The Momentous Second Inauguration of Abraham Lincoln by Edward Achorn.
Roger,

Attached is a document for Lincoln's 2nd inauguration I saved while researching our Frederick Douglas conversation in another thread.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 09-27-2020 08:54 AM

Who said the following about Abraham Lincoln?

"He'll never come to much,' fur I'll tell you he wuz the puniest, cryin'est little youngster I ever saw."

RE: Extra Credit Questions - mbgross - 09-27-2020 10:04 AM

(09-27-2020 08:54 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Who said the following about Abraham Lincoln?

"He'll never come to much,' fur I'll tell you he wuz the puniest, cryin'est little youngster I ever saw."

Dennis Hanks?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 09-27-2020 10:47 AM

Good job, Mike!

In an 1886 interview with Jesse W. Weik, Dennis Hanks said:

"They told me the Lincolns had a baby at thur house, and so I jest run all the way down that. I guess I was on hand purty early, fur I rickolect when I held the little feller in my arms his mother said, 'Be keerful with him, Dennis, fur you air the fust boy he's ever seen.' I sort o' swung him back and forth; a little to peart, I reckon, fur with the talkin' and the shakin' he soon begun to cry and then I handed him over to my Aunt Polly who was standin' close by. 'Aunt,' sez I, 'take him; he'll never come to much,' fur I'll tell you he wuz the puniest, cryin'est little youngster I ever saw."

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 09-29-2020 05:24 AM

Which US President wrote that if he didn't live in the US then he'd want to live in France?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Wild Bill - 09-29-2020 05:34 AM

Thomas Jefferson

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 09-29-2020 06:05 AM

Ha! You must be up with the sparrows, Bill. Yes. You got it.

( https://www.monticello.org/site/research-and-collections/every-man-has-two-countries-his-own-and-france-spurious-quotation ) :-

"Although the saying, "Every man has two countries – his own and France," has been attributed to Thomas Jefferson many times, this exact wording has never been found in his writings. It has been suggested that the saying may be a paraphrase of this passage from Jefferson's Autobiography:

[S]o ask the traveled inhabitant of any nation, In what country on earth would you rather live?—certainly in my own. where are all my friends, my relations, and the earliest & sweetest affections and recollections of my life.—Which would be your second choice?—France.

The specific quotation, "Every man has two countries – his own and France," however, has been traced back to Henri de Bornier's play, La Fille de Roland (1875), in which Charlemagne utters the line, "Tout homme a deux pays, le sien et puis la France."

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 09-29-2020 08:17 AM

Great question and info, Mike - I didn't know. Vive la France...

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 09-29-2020 05:45 PM

Thanks, Eva.
I didn't know it either until 3 days ago. Saw it in Collapse of the Third Republic by William Shirer (big book) I've started reading.
Hence my surprise when Bill it got within about 5 minutes.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-02-2020 08:15 AM

No googling, please.

Which person noted the following concerning President Lincoln:

"The President is an idiot..."