Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - wpbinzel - 04-16-2020 10:46 AM

(04-16-2020 08:21 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Roger, yes, it appears so, but the latitude of Minnesota is (43° 34'N) to 49° 23'N; vs Maine latitude: (43° 4'N to) 47° 28'N. (Equator is zero, hence the more ° the farther north)

It's the Angle Inlet of northern Minnesota at 49 degrees 23 minutes north that makes it north of any point in Maine!
The eastern half of North America tilts to the south. Consequently, the entire state of Maine is below the 48th parallel, while roughly the northern third of Washington is above the 48th parallel and extends to the border with Canada at the 49th parallel. The Angle Inlet of MN extends above the 49th parallel making it the most northern point in the continental US.

(BTW, with the exception of MN, the 49th parallel became the agreed upon boundary by virtue of the Convention of 1818 between the US and Britain. The reason the 49th was used instead of the nice round number of the 50th was that would have put all of Lake Superior in the US, and possibly limiting British access to it for the transport of furs and materials east and west.)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rogerm - 04-16-2020 10:52 AM

All I can say, Eva, is "Das ist schwer zu glauben." (That is hard to believe.) But, I will take a closer look at the map to verify it.

I apologize for my response to Eva, having written it before reading wpbinzel's explanation of the situation.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 05-12-2020 05:17 PM

Which very famous person (now deceased) , in Springfield Illinois, asked for the location of the Lincoln home?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Susan Higginbotham - 05-12-2020 09:00 PM

Lincoln, when he jokingly asked where Mr. Lincoln lived after his house was remodeled?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 05-12-2020 09:52 PM

Well done, Susan ! I was hoping that people would struggle to think outside the square ... but realized that there'd be a few that are more than capable of doing that.
I didnt think anybody would get it that quickly though.

Yes, Lincoln was apparently being sarcastic/joking when he asked a neighbour for the Lincoln Home "Do you know where Lincoln lives? He used to live here." after Mary had paid for major renovations.

( it pays to re-read posts ... I suppose that Abraham Lincoln would have disputed that Mary 'had paid' .... let's say the Lincoln family paid for the major renovations.)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 05-13-2020 05:52 AM

Here's a sketch of the Lincoln home prior to the renovation. The sketch is from Wayne Temple's By Square and Compass: Saga of the Lincoln Home, p. 33. The drawing was made by Xavier C. Meyer.

[Image: lincolnonestory.jpg]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-10-2020 01:38 PM

Please, no googling.

Who said the following regarding Abraham Lincoln's Second Inauguration?

"I felt then that there was murder in the air, and I kept close to his carriage on the way to the Capitol, for I felt that I might see him fall that day."

RE: Extra Credit Questions - mbgross - 08-10-2020 02:06 PM

Walt Whitman?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-10-2020 02:46 PM

Nope, not him, Mike.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 08-10-2020 03:33 PM

Ward Hill Lamon?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Steve Whitlock - 08-10-2020 05:32 PM

I think I may have recently read Secretary Stanton saying something like that, following some information he had come by from the Confederacy.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Susan Higginbotham - 08-10-2020 07:19 PM

Benjamin French?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-11-2020 04:40 AM

Gene, Steve, and Susan...it was not any of the folks you mentioned.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 08-11-2020 06:54 AM

John Wilkes Booth? ... yes, I know could be a silly guess. but you never know. they sometimes work.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-11-2020 06:59 AM

Sometimes, yes, Michael. But I am sorry...not this time. It was not Booth's quote.

Hint #1: The correct person has been discussed on this forum. It is not a new name to folks here.