Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Laurie Verge - 10-12-2012 04:27 PM

What excellent information. I have often wondered if some of the Simms family were the progenitors of the Simms family that worked one of our farms in Prince George's County during the 1950s.

As for a burial ground, is there a possibility that it might have been on the Henry Lowe Mudd farm down the road - or even a slave section in Old St. Peter's Cemetery? From what we were told when locating Spangler's grave to mark it years ago, that old cemetery had a lot of damage done to it in the 1950s or so when they hired a man with a bush hog to clear out the overgrowth -- he cleared out gravestones also. Since many slaves' graves were marked only with wooden crosses or boards, they may have been part of the debris.

I love the chicken and biscuits. We served ours with chicken gravy over them. Wonder if Lettie made any gravy for the visitors???

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rsmyth - 10-12-2012 06:57 PM

Thanks for he great info Bob!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-19-2012 01:59 PM

In his youth Abraham Lincoln wanted to get better acquainted with a girl.

However, she declined his company because of "his awkwardness and large feet."

What was the girl's name?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 10-19-2012 04:12 PM

(10-19-2012 01:59 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  In his youth Abraham Lincoln wanted to get better acquainted with a girl.

Sara Rickard had a lot to say about AL, but I don't recall the comment about his feet. Was it she?

(10-19-2012 04:12 PM)Joe Di Cola Wrote:  [quote='RJNorton' pid='6547' dateline='1350669558']
In his youth Abraham Lincoln wanted to get better acquainted with a girl.

Sara Rickard had a lot to say about AL, but I don't recall the comment about his feet. Was it she?

Can I change my answer? It was Elizabth Wood who, instead, ended up marrying a fellow named John Romine. I should have known to check Louis Warren first instead of Carl Sandburg!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-19-2012 04:33 PM

Yes, Joe. Very good! It's sure hard to stump you. It does seem, going by Warren's book, that young Abe had plenty of crushes on the girls.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 10-19-2012 09:27 PM

(10-19-2012 04:33 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Yes, Joe. Very good! It's sure hard to stump you. It does seem, going by Warren's book, that young Abe had plenty of crushes on the girls.

I don't have all of this in my head--enough of it so that some day my head might explode. However, the Jesuits taught me that, if you can't recall or recognize the "answer", remember which book and (if possible) the page where the information can be found. They were right!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-20-2012 05:52 AM

Joe, as you may have noticed there was no prize for this. Yesterday I received a message from a girl name Kate. Based on her email address Kate is 15 years old. She wanted me to send her the photo of David Herold's dog. I had previously promised this to Gene for a correct reply on another question. I do not know how Kate arrived on the site but probably through Google. She did not realize I did not really have the picture. So I am taking a temporary break from prizes. Hope you will understand.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 10-20-2012 10:29 AM

(10-20-2012 05:52 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Joe, as you may have noticed there was no prize for this. Yesterday I received a message from a girl name Kate. Based on her email address Kate is 15 years old. She wanted me to send her the photo of David Herold's dog. I had previously promised this to Gene for a correct reply on another question. I do not know how Kate arrived on the site but probably through Google. She did not realize I did not really have the picture. So I am taking a temporary break from prizes. Hope you will understand.

Roger,

Remember Bill Bendix in "The Life of Riley"? His expression whenever something like this happened was: "What a revoltin' development!"

RE: Extra Credit Questions - JMadonna - 10-20-2012 11:27 AM

You know what they say about men with large feet...

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 10-21-2012 11:23 AM

I just bought my 4 year old grandson a big box of Lincoln Logs. The tradition continues- I remember playing with my Lincoln Logs as a boy with my Marx Civil War Soldiers (which included plastic figures of Lincoln and Davis). So here's the trivia question: Who invented Lincoln Logs?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 10-21-2012 11:55 AM

Frank Lloyd Wright's son, John Lloyd Wright (and I didn't have to look it up....I went on a FLW kick after visiting Fallingwater a few years back).

Best
Rob

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 10-21-2012 12:10 PM

Rob: Welcome back! You're absolutely correct! I wish I could tell you that your prize is a 1959 unopened box of Blue and the Gray playset (by the Marx Toy Company) but I can't. I saw a used one about a month or so ago on Ebay with a starting bid of $2,500.00. I still have my original Marx soldiers but the box is long gone.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 10-21-2012 12:13 PM

Bill,

Not really "back" but just visiting. I used to have a round box of Lincoln Logs as a kid, but I have no idea whatever happened to them.

Best
Rob

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 10-21-2012 01:43 PM

(10-21-2012 12:13 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  Bill,

Not really "back" but just visiting. I used to have a round box of Lincoln Logs as a kid, but I have no idea whatever happened to them.

Best
Rob

All right, Rob,

Pick up that pencil and get back to work!

Joe

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 10-21-2012 01:58 PM

Sure thing, Joe, but can I read today's New York Times first? Smile

Best
Rob