Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 09-01-2019 07:44 PM

(09-01-2019 07:39 PM)AussieMick Wrote:  Oh. Could you at least have paused for breath, Eva?
(Seriously, well done!!!)
One of my favorites (as for Lincoln's dealing with people and issues...)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 09-01-2019 08:26 PM

This was a great question, and your answers gave me a new link for articles that I might be able to quote for the Surratt newsletter. Thanks, Anita. BTW: That stew recipe is very similar to the one passed down in our family, but some of the veggies would not be added - parsnips, especially. I miss my mother's big pots of stew on chilly nights, but now that I am a single cook, forget the effort!

Let's try this piece of trivia: In the antebellum South, what was the difference between an "overseer" and an "overlooker?"

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 09-02-2019 05:02 AM

No idea, but I'll take a guess based on the words. The overseer directed all the slaves during their workday, and the overlooker was hired to make sure the overseer was doing his job. In other words, the overlooker reported to the plantation owner on his observations of the overseer.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 09-02-2019 11:52 AM

(09-02-2019 05:02 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  No idea, but I'll take a guess based on the words. The overseer directed all the slaves during their workday, and the overlooker was hired to make sure the overseer was doing his job. In other words, the overlooker reported to the plantation owner on his observations of the overseer.

Roger - You are 99% accurate, but according to the writings of Frederick Law Olmsted as he traveled the South in the 1850s, there was one distinguishing feature between the two. I found this confirmed in one other source, the WPA Slave Narratives. What was that one feature?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Steve - 09-02-2019 12:02 PM

An "overlooker" was a slave.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 09-02-2019 06:19 PM

(09-02-2019 12:02 PM)Steve Wrote:  An "overlooker" was a slave.

A+ to both Steve and Roger!

Many writers on slavery in the U.S. fail to mention that there was a caste system among the "peculiar institution" itself. Some masters trusted their field workers to move up in the ranks to positions of minor leadership, just as house servants were held in higher rank than fieldhands.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Anita - 09-03-2019 02:13 PM

(09-01-2019 08:26 PM)L Verge Wrote:  This was a great question, and your answers gave me a new link for articles that I might be able to quote for the Surratt newsletter. Thanks, Anita. BTW: That stew recipe is very similar to the one passed down in our family, but some of the veggies would not be added - parsnips, especially. I miss my mother's big pots of stew on chilly nights, but now that I am a single cook, forget the effort!

Let's try this piece of trivia: In the antebellum South, what was the difference between an "overseer" and an "overlooker?"

Laurie, do you know why vinegar was added to the stew at the end ?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 09-07-2019 07:19 PM

This is a two-parter. Both have to be answered to be correct.

[Image: 1YNxL14.jpg?1]

1. What does this photo represent?
2. What collection does the photo come from?

Best
Rob

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 09-07-2019 08:25 PM

Looks like ruins of a church (like those in WWII, but this is older I guess).

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 09-07-2019 08:55 PM

It is older.

Best
Rob

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Steve - 09-07-2019 10:53 PM

The photos look like a civil war stereograph.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 09-08-2019 09:22 AM

The fire in Richmond - 1865 ?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 09-08-2019 10:22 AM

Both would be my guesses as well, but it has nothing to do with the Civil War.

Best
Rob

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 09-08-2019 10:47 AM

Is it connected in some way to Abraham Lincoln?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 09-08-2019 10:58 AM

Tangentially, Roger. It has nothing to do with Lincoln himself, but overall there is still a connection.

Best
Rob

Another small clue. This photo is representative of an event. In other words, this photo isn't the event in its entirety.

Best
Rob