Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-30-2019 05:25 AM

In 1868 the Mississippi Central Railroad was ordered to take one of its engines out of service. What caused this order to happen?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 08-30-2019 05:43 AM

Trying to approach...was it 1.) a positive reason (they found some historic value or similar to preserve the engine)? 2.) a negative reason (CW explosives found or similar)?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-30-2019 05:51 AM

Eva, you are on the right track with a "negative reason" and CW thinking, but it's not what your guess is.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 08-30-2019 08:09 AM

Was it in some way dangerous to continue runn3the engine? (Some kind of damage/manipulation?)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-30-2019 08:44 AM

Eva, that is not it.

Hint #1: It has something to do with a person who has been frequently discussed on this forum.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 08-30-2019 09:08 AM

Did the engine "bear" some bad memory? Was it connected to a persona non grata?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-30-2019 09:31 AM

(08-30-2019 09:08 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Was it connected to a persona non grata?

Good thinking, Eva. Kudos! You are very close, and I cannot think of any more clues. The name of the engine was "W Booth," and the railroad was ordered to take it out of service. But then it was discovered that the railroad had purchased the engine prior to the Civil War, and that it was named for a sheriff in Mississippi who had that particular name. In other words, it had nothing to do with John Wilkes Booth. When this information was discovered, the order to take the engine out of service was lifted.

SOURCE: E. Lawrence Abel's article in the Surratt Courier.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 08-30-2019 09:40 AM

In a era a “deadhead” refers to devotees of the rock band The Grateful Dead. In the Civil War era what did the term mean?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Anita - 08-30-2019 03:56 PM

A dead soldier?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 08-30-2019 07:27 PM

(08-30-2019 09:31 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(08-30-2019 09:08 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Was it connected to a persona non grata?

Good thinking, Eva. Kudos! You are very close, and I cannot think of any more clues. The name of the engine was "W Booth," and the railroad was ordered to take it out of service. But then it was discovered that the railroad had purchased the engine prior to the Civil War, and that it was named for a sheriff in Mississippi who had that particular name. In other words, it had nothing to do with John Wilkes Booth. When this information was discovered, the order to take the engine out of service was lifted.

SOURCE: E. Lawrence Abel's article in the Surratt Courier.
My thinking actually was Jefferson Davis...Well, considering what an engine is worth it's weird that they did not simply re-name it (into A. Lincoln e. g.), that's at least what they do here.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 08-30-2019 08:30 PM

Bill,

I know the term "deadline" was a line that no soldier in a prison camp could cross without getting shot, so I'm going to guess it had a similar meaning to deadhead, although I'm not sure what that would entail.

Best
Rob

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 08-30-2019 09:25 PM

'Deadhead'. I know about deadheading roses (removing the old flowers).

Its not nice to consider but maybe in the Civil War there were instances where mortally wounded soldiers were mercifully killed by a bullet to the head?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 08-31-2019 10:27 AM

Great guesses all but still none correct.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Steve - 08-31-2019 10:42 AM

A soldier getting out of their duties by faking an illness or by causing their own injury(ies).

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Anita - 08-31-2019 12:08 PM

A soldier who goes AWOL?