Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 08-05-2019 07:33 AM

Judge Davis?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-05-2019 07:42 AM

Logical guesses, Steve and Gene, but incorrect.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - mbgross - 08-05-2019 08:30 AM

N. Edwards?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-05-2019 08:45 AM

Nope, Mike, it was not Ninian Edwards.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 08-05-2019 12:01 PM

Searching through the archives of the forum, I would have to say it was Gibson W. Harris, who was a student in the Lincoln-Herndon Law Office.

Best
Rob

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-05-2019 12:24 PM

You receive an A+ from this retired teacher, Rob. Kudos!

The answer is indeed on the forum in this post.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 08-05-2019 12:28 PM

An A+? I've heard of such grades, but never had the privilege.

After finding the answer, I did some more research and discovered that Harris was actually born in Edwards County, Illinois, which, coincidentally, so was I.

Best
Rob

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 08-08-2019 07:29 PM

Several days ago, I posted about a new book "Writing History With Lightning" which examines how cinema has portrayed American history since its advent. The title made me wonder where it came from. I have not found the definitive answer, but I am secure in asking you: Who supposedly said it and created a stir in America? And, at what event was it supposedly uttered? Don't cheat!

When we get the answer I am looking for, I will give you a bit of history as to where it may have originated.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 08-08-2019 07:50 PM

Given that I'm as obsessed with him as I am with Lincoln, I know the answer is Woodrow Wilson, who is alleged to have said it after screening "Birth of a Nation." I say allegedly, because there are some historians who don't believe he said it.

Best
Rob

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 08-08-2019 08:24 PM

Ben Franklin while taking notes and flying his kite at the same time?

Which reminds me of a George Jones song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE5pM1HXxlI

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 08-08-2019 08:30 PM

(08-08-2019 07:50 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  Given that I'm as obsessed with him as I am with Lincoln, I know the answer is Woodrow Wilson, who is alleged to have said it after screening "Birth of a Nation." I say allegedly, because there are some historians who don't believe he said it.

Best
Rob
Wow - another A+, Rob! I think Wilson was sort of tricked into that White House screening by his college associate, Thomas Dixon, who wrote The Clansman novel on which the movie was based, and also by D.W. Griffith who was looking for some good publicity. He got it, but at Wilson's expense perhaps during a period where the NAACP was rising to power, lynchings were increasing, and Wilson was known to have tendencies towards white supremacy.

The little bit that I found digging deeper is that the "lightning" phrase appears several places decades before the 1915 incident. Samuel Taylor Coleridge (remember The Rime of the Ancient Mariner from 10th grade English?) used something quite similar in critiquing the acting of the famed British actor of the early 1800s, Edmund Kean -- "To see Kean act is like reading Shakespeare by flashes of lightning." Another critic, Frances Jeffrey (who died in 1850) praised Thomas Carlyle's The French Revolution as, "...like reading history by flashes of lightning."

And that is the sum total of my research on this.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-16-2019 04:55 AM

Ekwanok Country Club was about 2 miles from Hildene in Manchester, Vermont. Robert Lincoln, who loved golf, was president of Ekwanok. One afternoon in 1923 Robert closed the golf course for the rest of the day.

Why did Robert close the course?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rogerm - 08-16-2019 07:52 AM

Had he suffered a mild stroke.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-16-2019 07:54 AM

Good try, Roger, but that is incorrect.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 08-16-2019 02:21 PM

I don't know the answer (it's too early for the stock market crash) but doesn't that course have a par 5 that measures almost 600 yards? I'm not sure John Daly could reach that in less than three.

Best
Rob