Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 10-07-2012 12:54 PM

I have no idea really. Wild guess: JOHN HANCOCK...

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-07-2012 01:13 PM

Great guess, Bill, but it's not him.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-08-2012 05:02 AM

Hint #1: A postage stamp in honor of this man was issued in 1955.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 10-08-2012 07:55 AM

Ok, I'll take another stab at it-Patrick Henry?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-08-2012 08:45 AM

You got it, Bill. Mary visited her uncle in Columbia, Missouri, in the summer of 1840. She wrote a letter to her friend, Merce Levering, and included the following:

"If you conclude to settle in Missouri, I will do so too, [there] is one being here, who cannot brook the mention of my return, an agreeable lawyer & grandson of Patrick Henry—what an honor! Shall never survive it—I wish you could see him, the most perfect original I had ever met, my beaux have always been hard bargains at any rate, Uncle and others think, he surpasses his noble ancestor in talents, yet Merce I love him not, & my hand will never be given when my heart is not—"

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 10-08-2012 10:01 AM

(10-04-2012 08:17 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Good guess Roger, but Garfield died after Willie passed away.

And Garfield died in New Jersey where he was sent, thinking the sea air would do him some good.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-08-2012 10:20 AM

I have taken some wild guesses on some of these questions, but that is my all-time worst!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 10-08-2012 10:51 AM

I did not know that! This Forum has so much information!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 10-09-2012 04:26 PM

We all know that John Ford made Henry Fonda into Young Abe Lincoln. However, in another movie that Fonda starred in, his character had an encounter with someone else from Lincoln's life. Who was the person and what was the name of the movie.

Best
Rob

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 10-09-2012 06:10 PM

Well, let's see...its not his role as Col. Thursday in Ft. Apache-that was fictional. It also wasn't his role as Frank James I don't imagine. Good one Rob. Gotta think on it some more.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-10-2012 10:31 AM

John Wilkes Booth in The Farmer Takes a Wife.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 10-10-2012 12:29 PM

That's got to be it! Is Roger correct Rob?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 10-10-2012 05:30 PM

Roger is indeed correct, although the book that the movie was based on doesn't mention any meeting with Booth. I found this in the new biography written about Fonda. Good job, Roger.

Unfortunately, our prize budget is still spent, so you get the thanks of a grateful public.

Best
Rob

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-11-2012 08:43 AM

One day the youthful Abraham Lincoln was walking into the woods. He was carrying an axe. In a playful mood, a girl tried to surprise him from behind by jumping on his back. Abraham was startled and swung backwards, and the axe accidentally cut the girl quite badly. Abraham tore his shirt off and used it to stem the flow of blood.

What was the girl's name?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 10-11-2012 08:52 AM

Was she a vampire? Smile