Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Steve - 02-09-2019 03:42 PM

(02-09-2019 02:45 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  I agree with Joe and Steve...Birth of a Nation seems like the logical answer. But maybe Laurie asked this because the answer is not the logical one; so I will say Ben-Hur based on the book by Lew Wallace who was on the 1865 military commission that tried the Lincoln conspirators.

Roger, I had the same thought about Laurie misdirecting with the "logical answer" and I was going to guess The Artist as the highest-grossing silent movie after giving the name of Dixon's novel in response to Joe's post. But just before posting I reread Laurie's question and realized it said silent-film era.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 02-09-2019 09:19 PM

(02-09-2019 03:42 PM)Steve Wrote:  
(02-09-2019 02:45 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  I agree with Joe and Steve...Birth of a Nation seems like the logical answer. But maybe Laurie asked this because the answer is not the logical one; so I will say Ben-Hur based on the book by Lew Wallace who was on the 1865 military commission that tried the Lincoln conspirators.

Roger, I had the same thought about Laurie misdirecting with the "logical answer" and I was going to guess The Artist as the highest-grossing silent movie after giving the name of Dixon's novel in response to Joe's post. But just before posting I reread Laurie's question and realized it said silent-film era.

I honestly expected some answers at first that were Charlie Chaplin oriented.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Anita - 02-10-2019 07:20 PM

There will be many celebrations this coming Tuesday Feb.12, 2019, in honor of Lincoln's 210th birthday.

Question: A druggist, Lincoln's birthday celebration and a Lincoln statue -what's the connection and name the druggist.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Steve - 02-11-2019 12:41 AM

Julius Francis, a Buffalo druggist, lobbied Congress to establish Lincoln's birthday as a legal holiday in the U.S. His campaign ultimately failed, although a few states did make Lincoln's birthday a state holiday. Money from Francis' will was eventually used to fund a bronze statue of Lincoln outside the Buffalo Historical Society.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Anita - 02-11-2019 02:50 AM

That was fast Steve. You win a slice of Lincoln's birthday cake preserved from Francis's first Lincoln birthday celebration.

"Beginning in 1865, with the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln, Francis became absorbed in preserving and promoting the martyred President’s memory. He collected much Civil War and Lincoln memorabilia, but determined that there must be a national observance of Lincoln’s birthday, February 12. A bachelor, he declared that this cause was “my wife and my life.” At his own expense, Francis held the first of seven annual observances of Lincoln’s birthday. Each year until his death in 1881, he rented a hall, arranged the speakers, poets, music, essayists, and invited the public to attend free of charge and honor Abraham Lincoln." Read more here.
https://buffalohistorymuseum.com/2015/02/12/buffalos-julius-francis-and-mr-lincoln/

Go here to see the Lincoln statue at the Buffalo History Museum. https://tinyurl.com/y4z9tz8b

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 02-12-2019 08:26 PM

If you receive emails from the ALPLM, you are not allowed to give the answer until others have had the chance to guess.

What other famous person was born on the exact same day as Abraham Lincoln?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 02-12-2019 09:10 PM

Charles Darwin (I know, because a good friend is as enamored with Darwin as I am Lincoln).

Best
Rob

P.S. Laurie, the first draft of Foster is done. I'm letting it sit before going back to edit it.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 02-13-2019 10:06 AM

A+ Rob - and great about the Foster article.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 02-16-2019 02:45 PM

This music was played during Lincoln's term in office. What is the name of the song?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 02-16-2019 11:32 PM

Is it considered a Schottische?

Best
Rob

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 02-17-2019 05:51 AM

I am not sure, Rob, as I am not knowledgeable on polkas. All I can say is that this particular polka was first played during Lincoln's Presidency.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Steve - 02-17-2019 06:51 AM

The Mary Todd Lincoln Polka

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 02-17-2019 06:52 AM

Mexican?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 02-17-2019 09:13 AM

I'm with Steve - it's the Mary Lincoln Polka

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 02-17-2019 09:49 AM

Kudos to Steve and Gene as it is indeed the Mary Todd Lincoln Polka. It was first played on February 5, 1862. I do not believe I had ever heard of it until Gene made a post here.

For information about the polka, the link Gene had originally posted is working:

https://www.pouloslaw.com/Podcasts_and_Music/Entries/2013/6/30_Mary_Todd_Lincoln_Polka.html