Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 01-29-2019 07:07 PM

As a Marylander, I am going to guess Postmaster-General Montgomery Blair? I know he had differences with Stanton that may have affected his judgment of Lincoln also??

If it's not Blair, then I'll guess Simon Cameron earlier in the war.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 01-29-2019 07:28 PM

Nope, Laurie, it's not Blair or Cameron.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 01-29-2019 07:36 PM

I'm not sure that Attorney General Bates favored the EP, so I'll try him next.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 01-29-2019 07:38 PM

It does not look like anyone will be getting this one. Thank you to all who tried!

The answer is Thurlow Weed.

The text of Weed's address is here.

Lincoln's note to Weed is here.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 01-29-2019 08:42 PM

(01-29-2019 07:38 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  It does not look like anyone will be getting this one. Thank you to all who tried!

The answer is Thurlow Weed.

The text of Weed's address is here.

Lincoln's note to Weed is here.

I missed your answer Michael about it never being a Cabinet member. I kept trying to come up with which Cabinet members resigned. My bad.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 02-01-2019 08:50 AM

Let's attempt another "try to answer without research" question.

157 years ago today:

Abraham Lincoln wrote a letter of sympathy to someone. Whom did he write to?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 02-01-2019 10:06 AM

Fanny McCullough ?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Warren - 02-01-2019 02:04 PM

Tad - Did he lose a pet?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 02-01-2019 02:32 PM

Outstanding guesses, gentlemen, but neither one is correct.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 02-01-2019 04:28 PM

Queen Victoria, following the death of Prince Albert.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 02-01-2019 04:44 PM

Excellent, Michael! That is correct.

Here is the text of President Lincoln's letter (which looks like it was essentially written by Secretary Seward):

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

February 1, 1862

Abraham Lincoln,

President of the United States of America.

To Her Majesty ← Victoria,

Queen of the United Kingdom

of Great Britain and Ireland,

&c., &c., &c., Sendeth Greeting!

Great and Good Friend: By a letter from your son, His Royal Highness, the Prince of Wales, which has just been received, I am informed of the overwhelming affliction which has fallen upon Your Majesty, by the untimely death of His Royal Highness the late Prince Consort, Prince Albert, of Saxe Coburg.

The offer of condolence in such cases is a customary ceremony, which has its good uses, though it is conventional, and may sometimes be even insincere. But I would fain have Your Majesty apprehend, on this occasion, that real sympathy can exist, as real truthfulness can be practised, in the intercourse of Nations. The People of the United States are kindred of the People of Great Britain. With all our distinct national interests, objects, and aspirations, we are conscious that our moral strength is largely derived from that relationship, and we think we do not deceive ourselves when we suppose that, by constantly cherishing cordial friendship and sympathy with the other branches of the family to which we belong, we impart to them not less strength than we derive from the same connection. Accidents, however, incidental to all States, and passions, common to all nations, often tend to disturb the harmony so necessary and so proper between the two countries, and to convert them into enemies. It was reserved for Your Majesty in sending your son, the Heir Apparent of the British Throne, on a visit among us, to inaugurate a policy destined to counteract these injurious tendencies, as it has been Your Majesty's manifest endeavor, through a reign already of considerable length and of distinguished success, to cultivate the friendship on our part so earnestly desired. It is for this reason that you are honored on this side of the Atlantic as a friend of the American People. The late Prince Consort was with sufficient evidence regarded as your counsellor in the same friendly relation. The American People, therefore, deplore his death and sympathize in Your Majesty's irreparable bereavement with an unaffected sorrow. This condolence may not be altogether ineffectual, since we are sure it emanates from only virtuous motives and natural affection. I do not dwell upon it, however, because I know that the Divine hand that has wounded, is the only one that can heal: And so, commending Your Majesty and the Prince Royal, the Heir Apparent, and all your afflicted family to the tender mercies of God, I remain Your Good Friend, ABRAHAM LINCOLN.

Washington, 1st. Feby., 1862.

By the President:

WILLIAM H. SEWARD, Secretary of State.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 02-01-2019 06:13 PM

Queen of the UK &c., &c., &c...I love that, almost irony = British humor...
Mary much valued the return letter.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 02-01-2019 08:21 PM

What place is this? (Please take into account that Mr. Google is barred from this one!)
[attachment=3028]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 02-02-2019 02:41 AM

Ive been New York twice and to Macy's once. It reminds me of that ... but I'm guessing Macy's wasnt there then.

Is it somewhere in New York? ( If that isnt asking for too big a hint)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 02-02-2019 05:39 AM

Asking for hints is absolutely appreciated, Mike (my understanding of efforts...) - and you are spot on, it's in NYC! Not Macy's though.