Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 01-29-2019 12:58 PM

Older than 50.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 01-29-2019 01:55 PM

Joshua Speed?

Best
Rob

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 01-29-2019 02:47 PM

That is certainly a sensible guess, Rob, but it was not Joshua Speed.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 01-29-2019 03:15 PM

Hint#2: Despite the specific policy differences, this man supported Lincoln for re-election in 1864.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 01-29-2019 03:18 PM

Frederick Douglass?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 01-29-2019 03:32 PM

I am sorry, Eva, but it was not Douglass.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 01-29-2019 03:33 PM

Salmon Chase?

Best
Rob

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 01-29-2019 03:43 PM

Nope, Rob, it was not Chase.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 01-29-2019 03:49 PM

Hint #3: The man was retiring from his position, and at that time he gave a valedictory. The words that concerned/upset Lincoln were within the valedictory.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 01-29-2019 04:16 PM

Orville Browning ?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 01-29-2019 04:18 PM

Nope, Gene, it was not Browning.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 01-29-2019 04:22 PM

Hint #4:

After receiving Lincoln's note which expressed uneasiness at what was said in the valedictory, the man responded as follows:

"I retired from an apprehension that I was doing more harm than good. I could not remain without remonstrance against a Spirit by which you are persecuted, and which I know will end our Union and Government. It is impossible, just now, to resist Fanaticism---a Fanaticism which divides the North and deprives you of the support essential, vital in-deed, to the Life of the Republic. Its constant cry is: `Give! Give!' and the more you give the more it demands.

``They accuse me of `opposing the Administration.' I answered that falsehood yesterday, and sent Mr. Nicolay a Paper. I have labored to shield the Administration from their persecution.

``There is crazy `method' in Greeley's Abolitionism. He has the Presidency on his Brain. He ran `Maine Law' into the ground expecting to make himself Governor. His Ambition is mere lunacy, but, unfortunately, I fear he possesses the power to ruin our Country. If I could be heard by the same, and the same number, of readers, I should hope to open their eyes.

``This State was ours, in November, by 25,000 majority, with Morgan, and 50,000 with Dix, but he, and his like, would have an Abolition issue for Govnr, that they might have a Legislature in favor of Greeley or Field, for U.S. Senator.

``I may not be able to do much good, but all I am belongs to my Country, and to yourself, as its President.''

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 01-29-2019 05:15 PM

William Fessenden ?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 01-29-2019 06:23 PM

Nope, Michael, not Fessenden. The correct answer was never a Cabinet member.

Hint #5: This man's support for Lincoln declined after the issuance of the Emancipation Proclamation. He was upset to the point that he considered voting for the Democrat in the 1864 Presidential election, but in the end, he backed off that position.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 01-29-2019 06:57 PM

Hint #6:

Here is the paragraph in the man's valedictory address that I feel was concerning to the President:

"But we have fallen upon evil times. Our country is in immediate and imminent danger. I differ widely with my party about the best means of crushing the rebellion. That difference is radical and irreconcilable. I can neither impress others with my views, nor surrender my own solemn convictions. The alternative of living in strife with those whom I have esteemed, or withdrawing, is presented. I have not hesitated in choosing the path of peace as the path of duty. If those who differ with me are right, and the country is carried safely through its present struggle, all will be well, and "nobody hurt."