Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 08-26-2018 04:05 AM

(08-25-2018 07:57 PM)L Verge Wrote:  
(08-25-2018 04:51 PM)Steve Wrote:  The Mifflin County Civil War Soldiers and Sailors Monument in the town of Lewistown in the great state of Pennsylvania.

Excellent reply and a correct one, Steve. The monument was dedicated in 1906 and stands 64-feet high on the town square of Lewistown, PA. We can thank the boyhood friendship between George Frysinger, then editor of the town's Gazette, and Major Robert Hoover, who was then in charge of the Lincoln Memorial Foundation. At that time, the Lincoln Tomb was being remodeled, and Frysinger contacted Hoover with a request for a piece of the Tomb. The town received a 14- by 24-inch block to honor the citizens of Lewistown who were among the very first to heed the call for volunteers issued by President Lincoln.

No one can see, but behind that block is a glass jar containing the names of all of Mifflin County's Civil War veterans, their respective military records, a GAR button and badge, U.S. coinage from the CW years, and an 1895 medal commemorating the centennial of Lewistown.

For more info and photos, go here https://www.lewistownsquare.com/square.html

(08-25-2018 05:15 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Well, Laurie, I didn't think that little, little south of -
Brooklyn latitude 40.650002
Lewistown Pennsylvania latitude: 40.606915
(assuming Steve is correct).

1° latitude is 111.2 km, hence the difference of 0,043087° is 4,8 km = 2 Miles...(without considering if the PA monument possibly is located in the north of Lewistown and the other in the south of Brooklyn...not saying I object the hint...)

Eva - Not sure what I'm apologizing for, but I gave that hint off the top of my head, just visualizing a map of the NY/PA area and specifically the area around Harrisburg, the capital of PA. Unless I'm being quizzed, I am not a GPS person. Sorry if I caused you to miss the question.
No problem, I likely would still have needed more further tires than Steve! Somehow in my brain PA is pretty in the north, even more than Brooklyn, so I was curious to check.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 08-26-2018 04:49 AM

(08-26-2018 04:05 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  
(08-25-2018 04:51 PM)Steve Wrote:  The Mifflin County Civil War Soldiers and Sailors Monument in the town of Lewistown in the great state of Pennsylvania.

Excellent reply and a correct one, Steve. The monument was dedicated in 1906 and stands 64-feet high on the town square of Lewistown, PA. We can thank the boyhood friendship between George Frysinger, then editor of the town's Gazette, and Major Robert Hoover, who was then in charge of the Lincoln Memorial Foundation. At that time, the Lincoln Tomb was being remodeled, and Frysinger contacted Hoover with a request for a piece of the Tomb. The town received a 14- by 24-inch block to honor the citizens of Lewistown who were among the very first to heed the call for volunteers issued by President Lincoln.

No one can see, but behind that block is a glass jar containing the names of all of Mifflin County's Civil War veterans, their respective military records, a GAR button and badge, U.S. coinage from the CW years, and an 1895 medal commemorating the centennial of Lewistown.

(08-25-2018 05:15 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Well, Laurie, I didn't think that little, little south of -

1° latitude is 111.2 km, hence the difference of 0,043087° is 4,8 km = 2 Miles...(without considering if the PA monument possibly is located in the north of Lewistown and the other in the south of Brooklyn...not saying I object the hint...)

Eva - Not sure what I'm apologizing for, but I gave that hint off the top of my head, just visualizing a map of the NY/PA area and specifically the area around Harrisburg, the capital of PA. Unless I'm being quizzed, I am not a GPS person. Sorry if I caused you to miss the question.
No problem, I likely would still have needed more further tires than Steve! Somehow in my brain PA is pretty in the north, even more than Brooklyn, so I was curious to check.

If you do a Google map search 13 East Market Street - Lewistown, Pa
and get directions from Brooklyn NY ... it 'looks' like Lewistown is a little south and 226 miles west.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-26-2018 04:59 AM

Michael, I think I have seen that face before, and I think it was one of the people Abraham Lincoln knew at New Salem --> James Short?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 08-26-2018 05:26 AM

Nope, not him. And not New Salem . But, yes, I'm sure you have seen that face before.
As a hint ... his first name is the same as that of one of our grandchildren.[attachment=2923]

Well, its not that bad a hint. Probably cuts out Bowling Green. And Hannibal Hamlin.

Hint #2 In a crucial way this person was the opposite of John Wilkes Booth.

Hint # 3 (I'm going to bed soon) ... This person's significant action had a parallel with an action by Australia's Ned Kelly.
When he was captured, Kelly was wearing something which related to that action.
(Not many Australians would know about that 'something' )

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-26-2018 09:02 AM

(08-26-2018 05:26 AM)AussieMick Wrote:  Hint #2 In a crucial way this person was the opposite of John Wilkes Booth.

William Lloyd Garrison?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 08-26-2018 12:14 PM

(08-26-2018 04:49 AM)AussieMick Wrote:  
(08-26-2018 04:05 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  

If you do a Google map search 13 East Market Street - Lewistown, Pa
and get directions from Brooklyn NY ... it 'looks' like Lewistown is a little south and 226 miles west.
Well, I went the more scientific way and checked latitude and converted the difference into miles which is 2 as for the center of each place. (And I bet it's less than 226 by longitude, but maybe that on the road...)

(08-25-2018 10:51 PM)AussieMick Wrote:  Who's this ?
Looks like Sigmund Freud...

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 08-26-2018 01:21 PM

"...his first name is the same as that of one of our grandchildren."
Who is "our"? (I assume not yours, or did we learn those names somewhere before?)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-26-2018 01:31 PM

(08-26-2018 01:21 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  "...his first name is the same as that of one of our grandchildren."
Who is "our"? (I assume not yours, or did we learn those names somewhere before?)

Michael, I have the same question as Eva.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 08-26-2018 04:30 PM

'grandson' hint : Sorry ... it was attempted humour ... I did mean my wife and myself.

No, not Sigmund Freud. Nor Garrison.

Hint # 4 : Lincoln's lack of a formal education was a factor in this person's action.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 08-26-2018 06:01 PM

(08-26-2018 04:30 PM)AussieMick Wrote:  'grandson' hint : Sorry ... it was attempted humour ... I did mean my wife and myself.

Hint # 4 : Lincoln's lack of a formal education was a factor in this person's action.

You mentioned Ned Kelly previously on this forum, and I looked up his history at that time. I do remember that he was an outlaw and that he wore a suit of armor at his last battle with the cops. As to how this relates to your current question, I have no idea.

Is this gentleman British, Aussie, German, American, or some other nationality?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 08-26-2018 06:10 PM

(08-26-2018 04:30 PM)AussieMick Wrote:  'grandson' hint : Sorry ... it was attempted humour ... I did mean my wife and myself.

Me thinks you owe us to reveal your grandchildren's first names (not Hannibal nor Bowling, I know...)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 08-26-2018 06:47 PM

more hints ...
(Seriously) his first name is the same as that of a large city in a large State of US

Ned Kelly was wearing (under the armour) something of which he was proud. And those Ulster Irishmen that have one also proudly wear one.
The issue here is ... why did Kelly get his? Find that out and you'll have this person.

(08-26-2018 06:47 PM)AussieMick Wrote:  more hints ...
In response to Eva's reasonable statement about my previous hint (Seriously) his first name is the same as that of a large city in a large State of US

Ned Kelly was wearing (under the armour) something of which he was proud. And those Ulster Irishmen that have one also proudly wear one.
The issue here is ... why did Kelly get his? Find that out and you'll have this person.

Oh, yes ... he's American, Laurie.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 08-26-2018 07:53 PM

I want you to know that I am delaying a shower and washing my hair to try and find this answer! I still don't think I have an answer that matches your hints, but...

1. Ned Kelly was wearing a long, fringed sash under his battle coat of armor. The sash had been given to him when he was ten by the parents of a young boy named ***** Shelton in appreciation for Ned having saved young Shelton from possibly drowning.
2. I followed the lead of the name "Shelton" and found a link to Abraham Lincoln.
3. The Evening Star of October 24 (my birth date), 1907 (but not my birth year!) carried an article about a Joseph Gates Shelton who was a member of the DC Police and was assigned to the White House during Lincoln's administration. He supposedly accompanied the Lincolns' carriage to Ford's Theatre on April 14, 1865, and then assisted in getting the dying President across the street to the Petersen house.
4. This Shelton is buried in D.C.'s Congressional Cemetery.

Am I getting anywhere near the answer you are looking for? Is your grandson named Richard or Joseph? What does Lincoln's lack of a formal education have to do with your man? I'm so confused...

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 08-26-2018 08:01 PM

(08-26-2018 07:53 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I want you to know that I am delaying a shower and washing my hair to try and find this answer! I still don't think I have an answer that matches your hints, but...

1. Ned Kelly was wearing a long, fringed sash under his battle coat of armor. The sash had been given to him when he was ten by the parents of a young boy named ***** Shelton in appreciation for Ned having saved young Shelton from possibly drowning.
2. I followed the lead of the name "Shelton" and found a link to Abraham Lincoln.
3. The Evening Star of October 24 (my birth date), 1907 (but not my birth year!) carried an article about a Joseph Gates Shelton who was a member of the DC Police and was assigned to the White House during Lincoln's administration. He supposedly accompanied the Lincolns' carriage to Ford's Theatre on April 14, 1865, and then assisted in getting the dying President across the street to the Petersen house.
4. This Shelton is buried in D.C.'s Congressional Cemetery.

Am I getting anywhere near the answer you are looking for? Is your grandson named Richard or Joseph? What does Lincoln's lack of a formal education have to do with your man? I'm so confused...

Laurie, You are sooooooooo close. Now having got your point 1 (the sash), remember why (drowning) it was awarded and forget the rest of what you write (Shelton is wrong).

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Anita - 08-26-2018 08:04 PM

The photo is of Austin Gollaher, Lincoln's friend who saved 7 year old Lincoln from drowning. In 1866 Ned Kelly at age 10 rescued his 7 year old friend Richard Shelton from drowning and Richard's dad gave Ned a green sash out of gratitude for his bravery. Ned wore the sash under his amour until he died.

Wow, what a challenge to come up with this!