Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 08-19-2018 03:32 PM

Did he have anything to do with the slave insurrections that occurred in Brazil and the Caribbean. I think a fairly good portion of West Africans who were brought to the Americas were Muslims.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-19-2018 03:45 PM

The head of the Ottoman Empire assured Abraham Lincoln of his friendly sympathies and promised to protect Union commerce from Confederate threats in the empire's ports and waters. Does it have anything to do with that?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 08-19-2018 04:04 PM

Brilliant ideas again, but not what I am looking for. Ottoman Empire indeed was the gentleman's "nationality", but that is totally irrelevant to answer the question (maybe another look at the wording or words I used will inspire...)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 08-19-2018 06:28 PM

Okay, I'm taking another wild stab and cheated again. Whether or not the answer is correct, this will serve as my history lesson to the forum for the day.

Our interest in the Middle East really developed under the Lincoln administration when Seward recognized the need for support from the Ottoman Empire and sought a treaty with it via Egypt (which was still a part of the Empire, but pretty much its own country). The treaty of 1862 guaranteed continuous trade between the Empire and the U.S. as well as assuring the protection of U.S. trade vessels from Confederate pirates.

Later, Lincoln rec'd word of a U.S. missionary being harassed in Egypt and wrote a letter of protest to the Wali [governor]. He was assured that further harassment of missionaries would not be tolerated and that perpetrators would be punished. Lincoln's letter served to impress religious Christians in Europe and helped to keep England and France out of our Civil War.

Please tell me that's what you are referring to...

BTW: Is the portrait of Murad II who ruled in the 1400s?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 08-19-2018 07:46 PM

I almost don't dare to say this is not he nor what I am looking for, Laurie, but thank you for such fantastic input - the actual solution is much simpler but I think all these great ideas and thoughts make this a good question.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 08-19-2018 07:58 PM

I'll guess the very mundane ... something to do with his beard?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Anita - 08-19-2018 08:43 PM

Does it have to do with the Suave uniforms inspired by North Africans?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 08-19-2018 10:42 PM

(08-19-2018 07:58 PM)AussieMick Wrote:  I'll guess the very mundane ... something to do with his beard?
Who is "his"?

(08-19-2018 08:43 PM)Anita Wrote:  Does it have to do with the Suave uniforms inspired by North Africans?
Good idea but not correct either

PS: Mundane is good, it concerns an essential "topic" (essential to everyone).

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 08-20-2018 04:42 AM

Hint #1: The gentleman added someTHING to the saga.
Hint #2: Try to determine who "benefited".

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-20-2018 05:44 AM

Is the thing something tangible?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 08-20-2018 05:46 AM

Exactly, Roger.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-20-2018 05:58 AM

Food is essential to everyone. Does it have to do with food?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 08-20-2018 06:43 AM

Very good idea, Roger. Not actually food, but indeed something "edible".

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 08-20-2018 09:02 AM

Hint #3: Try to determine who "ate", and then what (the "what" is part of the goal.)

(08-20-2018 06:43 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Very good idea, Roger. Not actually food, but indeed something "edible".
I should specify (and that should be another hint) - it was considered that at least in those days. By no means you would swallow it nowadays.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 08-20-2018 01:24 PM

No ideas? To summarize and specify further:
- The depicted gentleman "added someTHING" to the world that to swallow in those days was considered beneficial in some way.
- Someone in "our" saga did swallow it.
What was it?