Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 08-04-2018 06:11 AM

Paul Angle ?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 08-04-2018 06:23 AM

Eugenio Biagini ?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-04-2018 06:43 AM

I think Gene might be right --> Paul Angle.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 08-04-2018 08:25 AM

Excellent guesses, everyone, but, I am sorry, none of these gentlemen.

Hint #3: The two probably most popular of his books that regularly make it into the German charts (again and again) are not the ones we would discuss here, but another of his books we would.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-04-2018 08:54 AM

(08-04-2018 12:11 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  And yes - no politician but someone used to do presentations and writing.

(08-04-2018 04:51 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Hint #1: To put it clearly - he was an author and "speaker".

(08-04-2018 08:25 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  but another of his books we would.

Must be Dale Carnegie then. I have a copy of Lincoln the Unknown. The cover is green. I like the book.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 08-04-2018 11:17 AM

Kudos, Roger, that is correct - Dale Carnegie despite his popular guidebooks also wrote a book on Abraham Lincoln. It is quite fascinating how he found and approached the topic:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_the_Unknown#CITEREFLincoln_the_Unknown_by_Dale_Carnegie1932

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 08-04-2018 06:38 PM

Great question, Eva. ( How many times have I seen that photo on the cover of How to Win Friends and Influence People in bookshops ... and newspaper adverts, though not so much now).

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 08-04-2018 11:50 PM

Thanks, Mick - that one and the one entitled here "Don't worry - live!" made him popular here, and there's at least one Lincoln - "anecdote" in one of them (forgot which).

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-07-2018 05:04 AM

Please try to get this one without googling, looking in books, etc.

Sarah Bush Johnston Lincoln, Abraham Lincoln's stepmother, spent time in a jail.

Why?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 08-07-2018 05:34 AM

Her previous husband was the jailkeeper !!!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-07-2018 06:32 AM

Very good Mick! Sarah's first husband, Daniel Johnston, was appointed jailer in Hardin County, Kentucky. Living quarters for the jailer and his family were provided in one corner of the stone jail. Sarah cooked for the inmates and kept the jail clean.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 08-19-2018 02:19 PM

I am not going to ask who the gentleman is (was) (but you are, of course, welcome to figure) but what he "added" to "our" (Lincoln & Co.) saga?! 
[attachment=2918]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-19-2018 02:50 PM

Does it have anything to do with the King of Siam?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 08-19-2018 03:06 PM

Wild guess - and yes, I cheated, but I thought of Muslim when I saw the portrait - does it have anything to do with this man and his resistance to French savagery during colonization in Algeria ?

The Muslim Warrior Admired by Abraham Lincoln and Napoleon Bonaparte

Emir Abd Elkader is probably unknown to most people in the west. He was a Muslim scholar, warrior and leader who earned the respect and praise of high figures of his time (1807-1883) such as Abraham Lincoln, the Pope, Napoleon Bonaparte III, Victor Hugo and Lord Londonderry. In 1846 Timothy Davis, John Thompson and Chester Sage were so impressed by his fight against French colonial power that they named their new settlement after him. The town of Elkader still bears the name of the emir and is located in Clayton County, Iowa.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 08-19-2018 03:13 PM

Excellent ideas, Roger and Laurie, but nope. Laurie is correct as he was some kind of Muslim warrior, but this is unimportant as for the "what" I am looking for. (He lived earlier than both the men you mentioned btw.)