Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 07-19-2018 09:39 PM

Wow. Correct. I wish I had a prize to give. All I have is my admiration to all that persisted and especially to you Laurie.

And I know what you mean about the spelling ... I was starting to worry that I may have got the spelling incorrect of Sarah's Johnston and of the Presidents.

I've always thought it odd that Sarah could be said to have had the same name as five presidents.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 07-22-2018 10:15 AM

Who was Thomas Dartmouth Rice? Try not to cheat...

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 07-23-2018 05:55 AM

Can you give a hint?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 07-23-2018 09:03 AM

(07-23-2018 05:55 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Can you give a hint?

His nickname was "Daddy" Rice.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Anita - 07-23-2018 12:22 PM

If I remember correctly (which I often don't these days) he was a white performer who performed in blackface. I am originally from NY and I remember reading about him. I did a minor in Theater.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 07-23-2018 01:23 PM

(07-23-2018 12:22 PM)Anita Wrote:  If I remember correctly (which I often don't these days) he was a white performer who performed in blackface. I am originally from NY and I remember reading about him. I did a minor in Theater.

Your memory is excellent, Anita. Thomas Dartmouth ("Daddy") Rice is considered by many to be the "Father of American Minstrelsy" and was both a performer and playwright. In the 1830s, he introduced a blackface character to the American stage when he created Jim Crow. It was wildly successful, and Rice traveled the country and England adapting the African American vernacular speech to Jim. Ironically, Rice (a New Yorker) and his minstrel character would go on to "contribute" that Jim Crow name to the series of laws in both North and South that spelled segregation for nearly a century. Rice died in 1860 before seeing the end of slavery and the inauguration of Jim Crow laws.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 07-24-2018 08:40 AM

Without using Google, who is this man?

[Image: fidowriter.jpg]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 07-24-2018 09:23 AM

I don't remember their names, but one of the two black gentlemen who served Mr. Lincoln in either Springfield or Washington?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 07-24-2018 10:04 AM

You are on the right track - can you be more specific as to his actual occupation?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 07-24-2018 10:21 AM

The one I'm leaning towards served as Lincoln's "steward" in the White House, and I think his wife worked there also? A steward was probably a jack-of-all-duties for the President?

My other guess would be a similar position in Springfield. I think that man came to D.C. with the Lincolns, but was dismissed shortly thereafter?? Johnson??

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 07-24-2018 11:46 AM

William de Fleurville, Lincoln's Springfield hairdresser.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 07-24-2018 12:49 PM

Wonderful effort, Laurie, but Eva got it. Kudos, Eva. I know from past posts that you like warm weather so you win an especially warm summer in Germany.

For more information on ‘Billy the Barber’ please see this web page:

http://www.mrlincolnandfreedom.org/library/mr-lincolns-contemporaries/william-de-fleurville-1807-1868/

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 07-24-2018 12:57 PM

(07-24-2018 12:49 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Wonderful effort, Laurie, but Eva got it. Kudos, Eva. I know from past posts that you like warm weather so you win an especially warm summer in Germany.

For more information on ‘Billy the Barber’ please see this web page:

http://www.mrlincolnandfreedom.org/library/mr-lincolns-contemporaries/william-de-fleurville-1807-1868/

I am currently kicking myself because I just read about M. de Fleurville several weeks ago when you had posted the sketch of Lincoln apparently receiving treatment of some kind and I guessed he was at the barbers... Fleeting memory is an awful thing.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 07-27-2018 03:08 PM

Thanks to Dr. Blaine Houmes for submitting this trivia question.

When one President's widow gave a gift from her husband's library to a friend, they were keys to a cabin. What was the book's title?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 07-27-2018 05:57 PM

I'm afraid I don't get the question. What do the keys to a cabin have to do with the library gift? Or is that the title? ("Keys to a cabin"?) Or "Uncle Tom's Cabin"?

PS: Is figuring the President not part of the question? If not so (not not part of...) I guess Roosevelt or earlier because cabin reminds of hunting, and I think later Presidents would have had a(nother) villa instead of a cabin.