Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Susan Higginbotham - 07-16-2018 10:07 PM

I'm going to second Eva's guess and think that this was at Gettysburg.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 07-17-2018 05:01 AM

Thanks to Laurie for her creativity and fascinating story, but kudos to Eva and Susan for being correct in their replies. The sketch comes from the November 1988 edition of American History Illustrated. The article is titled "A Few Appropriate Remarks," and the author is Harold Holzer. The artist is Keith Rocco. Lincoln did not feel well on the train from Gettysburg back to Washington. He had a wet towel spread across his forehead and kept it there for much of the ride back. Most sources say he was coming down with varioloid, a mild form of smallpox.

Eva and Susan, you both win free tickets to the Lincoln Train Museum in Gettysburg. At the museum you will have a "simulated train ride that features a passenger train car that mildly rocks as you watch a film about Lincoln's trip to Gettysburg to give the Gettysburg Address."

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 07-17-2018 05:47 AM

The following names all have the same type of connection with the Presidency
Laura
Mary
Eliza
Claudia
Barbara
What is the name of another lady, mentioned at various times on this forum but not recently, who could be said to connect them all? In what way?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 07-17-2018 03:38 PM

(07-17-2018 05:47 AM)AussieMick Wrote:  The following names all have the same type of connection with the Presidency
Laura
Mary
Eliza
Claudia
Barbara
What is the name of another lady, mentioned at various times on this forum but not recently, who could be said to connect them all? In what way?

Michael, can you give a hint? (I think the list of names you cited were all First Ladies' names.)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 07-17-2018 05:28 PM

Almost there ... Yes, Roger ... Well done ... you're correct with the First Ladies first names. Each lady has something else (in some cases shared) which points to the lady I'm thinking about.

She is?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 07-18-2018 06:54 PM

Ok, (not giving up .... yet) ...

Lets focus on just these
Laura
Barbara

They share something which my mystery lady had at some time.

Mary also of course had something, but different, which she shared with the mystery lady.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 07-19-2018 08:49 AM

A disease? Or - I seem to recall they were engaged in fighting illiteracy?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 07-19-2018 05:26 PM

Sorry, Eva ... but I can see where you're coming from. And you've given me an idea for another clue which you certainly deserve.
What they shared is intangible.

Oh, and we all have one. Some are unusual, some not.

( I hope I'm not going to confuse you by saying that some people change their's once or even several times during their life. Those above named ladies changed their's once. And indeed that's the crux of my question about the mystery lady.)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 07-19-2018 07:19 PM

(07-19-2018 05:26 PM)AussieMick Wrote:  Sorry, Eva ... but I can see where you're coming from. And you've given me an idea for another clue which you certainly deserve.
What they shared is intangible.

Oh, and we all have one. Some are unusual, some not.

( I hope I'm not going to confuse you by saying that some people change their's once or even several times during their life. Those above named ladies changed their's once. And indeed that's the crux of my question about the mystery lady.)

Nicknames OR last names??? But I have no idea who the mystery lady would be. Someone who enjoyed getting married multiple times? Or someone who preached on the sanctity of marriage?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 07-19-2018 07:45 PM

Getting there, Laurie. Nothing to do with sanctity. But yes its to do with marriage and last names. And of course the Lincoln name is involved.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 07-19-2018 07:52 PM

(07-19-2018 07:45 PM)AussieMick Wrote:  Getting there, Laurie. Nothing to do with sanctity. But yes its to do with marriage and last names. And of course the Lincoln name is involved.

Elizabeth Taylor's third (?) husband was a Todd. Is that the link?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 07-19-2018 08:00 PM

No, Laurie . Try going back to Barbara and Laura as First Ladies . And then Mary.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Susan Higginbotham - 07-19-2018 08:41 PM

I'm going to guess Dolley Madison, with her first married name of Todd, as the mystery lady.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 07-19-2018 08:46 PM

Sorry , Susan. But at least you had a try. ( Hey ... I see, Todd ... hmm ... my connection is less obscure and I hope you'll all kick yourselves ... rather than kicking me). Its the First Ladies married names which connect to the mystery woman.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 07-19-2018 09:19 PM

(07-19-2018 08:46 PM)AussieMick Wrote:  Sorry , Susan. But at least you had a try. ( Hey ... I see, Todd ... hmm ... my connection is less obscure and I hope you'll all kick yourselves ... rather than kicking me). Its the First Ladies married names which connect to the mystery woman.

In the order that you listed them, the married names of those ladies would be Bush, Lincoln, Johnson, Johnson, and Bush. THEREFORE, I will go with Sarah Bush Johnston (correct spelling of first husband's name) Lincoln??