Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 07-13-2018 07:23 PM

(07-13-2018 06:24 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Well done, Gene - here's the entire photo:
https://boothiebarn.com/picture-galleries/samuel-arnold/arnold-and-dash-in-1902/

Here's your prize:
http://www.cornel1801.com/1/y/YELLOW-SUBMARINE/Hey_Bulldog/song.html

With the full photo, I can now see what was confusing to me. I could make out the dog's face, but what is now obviously Arnold's coat I was seeing as a huge ruff of fur that made the grainy image look almost like the dog was wearing a barrister's long and wavy wig!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 07-16-2018 05:38 AM

What is depicted in this sketch?

[Image: whatcouldthisbee.jpg]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 07-16-2018 09:02 AM

Dr. Stone treating Lincoln?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 07-16-2018 09:40 AM

Good thinking, Eva, but what is depicted is not Dr. Stone treating Lincoln. (yes, Lincoln is the man seated)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 07-16-2018 10:00 AM

Pre-White House years OR during White House years?

Wild stab -- a visit to the dentist? visit to the podiatrist?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 07-16-2018 10:46 AM

It's a scene from the White House years. Laurie, neither scenario you guessed is correct.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 07-16-2018 10:47 AM

I'll guess it a scene of Lincoln on the River Queen

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 07-16-2018 12:27 PM

I am sorry, Gene, but that's not correct.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 07-16-2018 03:56 PM

Hint #1: Lincoln was not at the White House when the depicted scene occurred.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 07-16-2018 04:02 PM

Soldier's Home?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 07-16-2018 04:51 PM

Nope, he was not at the Soldiers' Home.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 07-16-2018 05:53 PM

I was going to write treatment by a dentist (and having part of a bone ripped out) , but I see that Laurie has already tried that.

I'll go with being "treated" for depression/melancholy.... the fact that he has a beard in the picture? (He only grew that from 1860, as far as I know) Well, I guess that could be artistic licence.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 07-16-2018 05:56 PM

I am sorry, Michael, but that is not correct.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 07-16-2018 06:27 PM

Was he treated for headache? Or after the Gettysburg address for small fox?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 07-16-2018 07:13 PM

Another wild stab -- is the man a barber instead of a doctor? Did El Presidente go to a downtown barber instead of having one come to the White House?

In cheating to try and find an answer, I ran across this little tidbit of interest:

Another contemporary recalled a prescription given Mr. Lincoln after the Quincy debate with Senator Stephen A. Douglas in October 1858. “I tell you, I’m might nigh petered out; I reckon I’ll have to quit and give up the race,” Mr. Lincoln said. George P. Floyd recalled that his wife suggested a “rum sweat” to which Mr. Lincoln projected “Why, I never drank a drop of liquor in my life.” She explained that it was “an external treatment so Mr. Lincoln agreed to submit: “Well, if you think it will do me any good, just crack your whip and go ahead. Any port in a storm, and, I tell you, I am mighty near overboard.”

As Floyd described it: “The treatment was administered as directed by my wife. A pan of New England rum was placed under a cane-seated chair. The patient was stripped, seated in the chair, and covered all over with blankets. Then the rum was set afire. The fumes or vapor of the rum caused profuse perspiration, after which the patient was put to bed, covered with woolen blankets, and given a decoction of hot ginger tea. The sweating continued.” The treatment apparently worked. The next morning, Mr. Lincoln proclaimed: “Why, I am feeling like a two-year-old. I can jump a five-rail fence right now, I swanny! I’ve heard folks drinking liquor, and rubbing their bodies with the bottle for ailments, but I never yet heard of driving the stuff through the pores of the hide to get a man full. If Mrs. Floyd would only join us in this campaign and prescribe for me, I think we could beat out Judge Douglas slick and clean.” 22 Several years later, Floyd visited the White House and was told by the President: “I believe your wife saved my life when I was at Quincy in 1858. Yes, and I have taken that ‘rum sweat’ that she prescribed for me many times, and I have prescribed it for some of my friends. It has always been a dead shot.” 23

It reminded me of one of my mother's cures when I came down sick with a fever. She would pile blankets on me, make me drink a shot glass of brandy and then follow it with a glass of hot lemonade. It usually worked quickly -- and no, she did not turn me into an alcoholic. Today, Child Services would probably charge her with contributing to the delinquency of a minor or child abuse...