Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 07-11-2018 07:59 PM

(07-11-2018 07:39 PM)AussieMick Wrote:  
(07-11-2018 06:39 PM)L Verge Wrote:  While Mike Kauffman was doing his extensive research, he used to refer to Six Degrees of Separation and say that he could link things from the Lincoln conspiracy story to lots of other things that we are familiar with in history. I just found another one that you can try and guess:

What popular food seasoning has some link to assassination history? Name the seasoning, and then tell what the link is.

Laurie, I've always associated the surname Rathbone ( as in Henry Rathbone) with Basil ... the film actor of yesteryear who often played Sherlock Holmes.
So I'll say Basil.

That is a good link, but wrong seasoning.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 07-12-2018 04:55 AM

Very wild guess:

1. John Wilkes Booth spent time at Mary Surratt's boardinghouse.

2. Today the boardinghouse is a Chinese restaurant.

3. I'll guess soy sauce as the condiment.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 07-12-2018 06:02 AM

Mustard
Assassination of the President. A discourse on the death of Abraham Lincoln. Delivered at Acton, Mass., April 16th, 1865. By Rev. Geo. W. Colman

Colman's Mustard ... Mustard.

( Actually I think Basil was better ... and as for soy sauce ... well)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 07-12-2018 08:33 AM

Pepper ?
Red Hot Chili Peppers - didn't they perform right next door to Ford's Theater at the 9:30 Club?

https://www.fords.org/blog/post/fifty-years-of-fords-theatre-1968-neighborhood-riots-and-renewal/

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 07-12-2018 12:58 PM

Y'all are pretty creative, but still not correct. Think shellfish or popcorn.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Susan Higginbotham - 07-12-2018 01:34 PM

Old Bay seasoning, which according to Wikipedia was named for the Old Bay Line, employer of John and Isaac Surratt?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 07-12-2018 01:54 PM

(07-12-2018 01:34 PM)Susan Higginbotham Wrote:  Old Bay seasoning, which according to Wikipedia was named for the Old Bay Line, employer of John and Isaac Surratt?

I just knew that you would be the one to get this! A+ -- and now for my usual history lesson. Old Bay seasoning dates to the late-1930s when a Jewish family immigrated to Baltimore and began selling his homemade recipe. He was finally bought out by McCormick. If you are from Southern Maryland or miles around, you just plain grow up with Old Bay, especially during the summer. Shrimp, crabs, deviled eggs, popcorn, even hummus tastes better with that seasoning.

The seasoning's name is taken from the Old Bay Line, which was a steam packet company that ran down the Chesapeake Bay from Baltimore to Norfolk (with side stops in DC and Point Comfort) from its beginnings in 1840 through its final cruise in 1962. Their ships were designated as packet steamers because the company was contracted with the U.S. government to carry U.S. mail, but its ships were also rather luxurious, overnight service for passengers. As Susan mentioned, two of the company's employees after the Civil War were John Surratt, Jr., and his older brother, Isaac. There is a photo of John taken aboard one of the ships.

Old Bay ships were known for fine dining and entertainment, but there are some very interesting historical tidbits connected with some of the ships. One of the fanciest of the fleet was called "The Honeymoon," for obvious reasons. Its real name, however, was the President Warfield, named after the company's president at that time -- who just happened to be the uncle of Bessie Wallis Warfield, the Baltimore divorcee and socialite who disrupted the British monarchy by winning the heart of its future king, who abdicated the throne for "the woman I love."

The President Warfield went on to greater fame, however. It was one of the boats turned over to the U.S. Navy during WWII and was used by the British in the staging of D-Day. In 1947, its name was changed to EXODUS1947, and it became the famed ship that attempted to carry nearly 5000 Jewish refugees from war-torn Europe to Palestine before being turned away by the British Navy.

As a sidebar: For those of you who have read or seen the old movie, A Night To Remember, about the sinking of the Titanic, the author of that classic was Walter Lord, whose grandfather was once president of the Old Bay Line.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 07-12-2018 02:47 PM

(07-12-2018 01:54 PM)L Verge Wrote:  As a sidebar: For those of you who have read or seen the old movie, A Night To Remember, about the sinking of the Titanic, the author of that classic was Walter Lord, whose grandfather was once president of the Old Bay Line.

I read that back in high school, (a few years after the Titanic sunk) a very good book.
David McCullum (Illya Kuryakin of Man From U.N.C.L.E. and Dr. Mallard of NCIS) and Sean Connery and Bond girl Honor Blackman were in the movie.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Susan Higginbotham - 07-12-2018 03:45 PM

First thing I did when we decided to move to Maryland was to buy some Old Bay. Tastes great on my fish filet sandwiches.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 07-12-2018 06:09 PM

Probably too easy - what is this dog's "background"?
[attachment=2884]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 07-13-2018 04:52 AM

Can you give a hint?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 07-13-2018 10:58 AM

Wow, I thought this would be a hole-in-one...
Hint #1: I will reply to yes/no- questions.
Hint #2: Someone's arm is around the dog.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 07-13-2018 12:31 PM

I will modify my question - whose (background) dog is/was this?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 07-13-2018 12:41 PM

Sam Arnolds?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 07-13-2018 06:24 PM

Well done, Gene - here's the entire photo:
https://boothiebarn.com/picture-galleries/samuel-arnold/arnold-and-dash-in-1902/

Here's your prize:
http://www.cornel1801.com/1/y/YELLOW-SUBMARINE/Hey_Bulldog/song.html