Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 04-06-2018 06:51 AM

India?
Didn't Booth spend some time there?
Big Grin

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 04-06-2018 07:16 AM

I guess India, too.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 04-06-2018 07:27 AM

Good try, Joe, but kudos, Gene and Eva! This picture was taken of a wall in the dining room of a B&B in a small village in Cochin, India. And yes, Gene, one of the "Booth escaped" theories has him ending up in India.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 04-06-2018 07:37 AM

This book which I HIGHLY recommend has a chapter on India's take and "use" of Lincoln as well as how he was/is perceived in many other countries on all continents:
http://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium/thread-1412.html?highlight=Global
It contains a lot of fascinating information that I guarantee will be new to even those who think they've read it all.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 04-21-2018 06:12 PM

Here is a quote:

"I seem to recollect having heard as a boy that I was born in the
_______________________."

This is a two part question. Who said this, and what goes in the blank?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 04-21-2018 07:24 PM

(04-21-2018 06:12 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Here is a quote:

"I seem to recollect having heard as a boy that I was born in the
_______________________."

This is a two part question. Who said this, and what goes in the blank?

It was Robert Lincoln. And the blank is 'the Globe Tavern'.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 04-22-2018 04:47 AM

Excellent, Michael! In chapter one of Jason Emerson's bio on Robert it says:

"Interestingly, Robert himself was not certain where he was born. I seem to recollect having heard as a boy that I was born in the Globe Tavern,” Robert wrote to a friend in 1886, “but I have also in later years seen such a newspaper statement and therefore was inclined to think otherwise. It is probably true for what it is worth."

RE: The Study of Lincoln... - LincolnMan - 05-31-2018 06:29 AM

I continue to be saddened by the lack of knowledge, especially among young people, concerning Lincoln specifically- and American history overall. Our schools are failing us. Even more saddening is the fact that people believe the sound bites they are reading on the Internet. I am on FaceBook. Much of what I read there is bias or inaccurate. We are in trouble.

RE: The Study of Lincoln... - davg2000 - 05-31-2018 09:08 AM

I think that an understanding and appreciation of Lincoln can be achieved only with the perspective of maturity. Neither of those two goals of education can exist for a person who lacks the ability to view Lincoln first as a person of his times, and then, of our times. For some of us he “lives” because we can place him in the context of our lives. (We can wonder “what would Lincoln do in this situation?” and imagine a plausible answer.) If many teenagers have an incomplete knowledge of history it is because they can’t see its relevance to them and because they’ve suffered through poor teaching. Our schools do bear some responsibility for this. But mere knowledge isn’t understanding or appreciation—those come only with time. I think the luckier ones of us grow into Lincoln.

RE: The Study of Lincoln... - LincolnMan - 06-01-2018 08:35 AM

Well stated. I would like to think that growing into Lincoln happens because somewhere along the way-like in school- a seed has bern planted in a young person’s mind about him. More and more I am not seeing that the seed was planted.

RE: The Study of Lincoln... - davg2000 - 06-01-2018 09:42 AM

(06-01-2018 08:35 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Well stated. I would like to think that growing into Lincoln happens because somewhere along the way-like in school- a seed has bern planted in a young person’s mind about him. More and more I am not seeing that the seed was planted.

I live in central Illinois, where everyone knows Lincoln. But at ALPLM I see kids from all over. Often they are students who show up on a school trip well taught, focused, and using the trip to help complete an assignment. That's one extreme. The other is that there are plenty of kids who are ignorant of some basic Lincoln facts. I'm often asked, "Why did Booth shoot Lincoln?" (An intelligent question.) And I also see teenagers who stare at the figure of Booth going into Lincoln's theater box and have no clue what his name is.

RE: The Study of Lincoln... - LincolnMan - 06-12-2018 06:39 PM

I’m heartened to hear that some of our young people are learning about Lincoln. I work in Detroit. The experience is quite different. The collective memory of what Lincoln did has been lost. The study of that history is gone.

RE: The Study of Lincoln... - L Verge - 06-12-2018 08:19 PM

If current educational trends continue, there will likely be many more historical figures that no one (child or adult) will know about...

RE: The Study of Lincoln... - DannyW - 06-13-2018 11:13 PM

(12-16-2017 04:09 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  To all those interested in the study of Lincoln:

Be prepared for a wonderful adventure for his story is such.
Learn the basics: his birth, growing-up years, lawyer days, the presidency.
Read multiple sources and don’t necessarily trust any one source.
Be keen to the time and place in history that the source material was written. History is not static. New things are learned. Authors have their particular slants. Be ever mindful.
Be ready for frustration. Their are contradictions, errors, and dead-ends in the study of Lincoln.
Hold what you think you know about Lincoln as tentative.
Learn to love him. Discover who he was. Cut through the dross and get to know him.
Be humble. You will have your opinion but the opinions of others are valid and need to be respected.
Consider yourself a detective. You have your flashlight seeking out the story.
You will eventually gain some confidence in the knowledge you’ve gained.
In the end, if you have done the job well, you will consider Lincoln a friend. He will be part of your family. He will be part of you.
In the study of Lincoln, beware. It will become a passion.
People will ask you why; why Lincoln?
Your answer will be unique to you.
There are those who love him, or hate him, or care less about him.
You must be about to deal with these truths.
In the study of Lincoln there is no end.
If you are new to the adventure I wish you well- and welcome you aboard. We are your fellow travelers. For those of us that have been on the Lincoln road for awhile- I offer you continued encouragement. And I thank you all for your encouragement to me.
Onward we go in the study of Lincoln...

Wow that was great for a way to approach the study of Lincoln. Good for thought. Thanks so much!!!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 06-18-2018 06:03 AM

Name all of these people, left to right:

[Image: people99.jpg]