Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 11-20-2017 05:43 AM

OK, I can do Navy. Roger Staubach and Jimmy Carter. Right now I am blank on the others.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rogerm - 11-20-2017 10:02 AM

In my earlier entry about Stanford University graduates, President Herbert Hoover and Superbowl Quarterback John Elway; I forgot to mention a second Stanford graduate who also later played in the Superbowl: the Oakland Raiders Jim Plunkett.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - JMadonna - 11-20-2017 04:08 PM

Surprised that no one has figured out Michigan since the QB is still playing and the President was an All-American. Although he was lampooned mercilessly for falling while skiing.

University of Miami was the tough one. You may have known Rothlesberger but the distinguished Benjamin Harrison made it almost impossible to guess.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 11-20-2017 05:17 PM

(11-20-2017 04:08 PM)JMadonna Wrote:  Surprised that no one has figured out Michigan since the QB is still playing and the President was an All-American. Although he was lampooned mercilessly for falling while skiing.

University of Miami was the tough one. You may have known Rothlesberger but the distinguished Benjamin Harrison made it almost impossible to guess.

Michigan has to be Gerald Ford, but who is the QB that's still playing?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - JMadonna - 11-20-2017 06:06 PM

(11-20-2017 05:17 PM)L Verge Wrote:  
(11-20-2017 04:08 PM)JMadonna Wrote:  Surprised that no one has figured out Michigan since the QB is still playing and the President was an All-American. Although he was lampooned mercilessly for falling while skiing.

Michigan has to be Gerald Ford, but who is the QB that's still playing?

A guy named Tom Brady

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 11-26-2017 09:41 AM

During Abraham Lincoln's inaugural train journey the train passed a cemetery where the remains of a previous president were buried. The train slowed as the former president's surviving family members were visiting the grave site at the moment the train passed by. Lincoln stood on the car's rear platform, uncovered his head, and bowed in respect as the train passed the cemetery.

1. Where did this happen?

2. Who was the former president?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 11-26-2017 11:02 AM

Van Buren somewhere in NY?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 11-26-2017 11:24 AM

Good try, Eva, but it was not Van Buren (and not in NY).

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 11-26-2017 12:00 PM

(11-26-2017 11:24 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Good try, Eva, but it was not Van Buren (and not in NY).

William Henry Harrison

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 11-26-2017 12:56 PM

Yes, Joe! Very good. Now where did this incident take place?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 11-26-2017 01:30 PM

(11-26-2017 12:56 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Yes, Joe! Very good. Now where did this incident take place?

North Bend, Ohio. Oddly, W.H. Harrison was born in Virginia. His grandson, Benjamin was one of 7 President born in OH, but he was buried in Indianapolis, Indiana!

(11-26-2017 01:30 PM)Joe Di Cola Wrote:  
(11-26-2017 12:56 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Yes, Joe! Very good. Now where did this incident take place?

North Bend, Ohio. Oddly, W.H. Harrison was born in Virginia. His grandson, Benjamin was one of 7 President born in OH, but he was buried in Indianapolis, Indiana!

Also, if one travels to see the gravesite, Grant's birthplace is not that far away.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 11-26-2017 01:34 PM

(11-26-2017 01:30 PM)Joe Di Cola Wrote:  

Since William Henry Harrison served for such a short period, I have never known much about him (and have been too lazy to do research). He's buried on his estate in North Bend, Ohio. Does anyone know what caused him to give up his home state of Virginia and establish his family in Ohio?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 11-26-2017 01:48 PM

Laurie, I do not know, but kudos to Joe for getting the entire question correct. This is just one of a multitude of historical facts in Scott Trostel's The Lincoln Inaugural Train.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Steve - 11-26-2017 03:54 PM

Harrison had served in several government/military posts in what had been the Northwest territory since the 1790's. By the time the War of 1812 ended, he had been in the area for nearly two decades. I assume that influenced his decision to move to Ohio.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 11-26-2017 07:34 PM

(11-26-2017 03:54 PM)Steve Wrote:  Harrison had served in several government/military posts in what had been the Northwest territory since the 1790's. By the time the War of 1812 ended, he had been in the area for nearly two decades. I assume that influenced his decision to move to Ohio.

Thanks, Steve. I knew he had served in that area during the Indian wars earlier in the 1800s, Tecumseh and all that, but that's about all I knew about him. I did do a quick Wiki peek this afternoon and found that he married a lady from that area. Marriage always seems to have an effect on where one ends up...

However, I did know that Harrison had grown up on the wonderful Berkeley Plantation in Virginia. There would have to have been a very strong reason for me to want to leave that beautiful place.