Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 09-26-2017 04:12 PM

Hint #1: The photo was taken by R. Gerald McMurtry.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Steve - 09-26-2017 05:10 PM

Abraham's younger brother, Thomas Lincoln Jr.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 09-27-2017 04:57 AM

Excellent, Steve. Little Tommy's gravesite was discovered in 1933 by workers in the Works Progress Administration. A temporary marker was placed on the site. Little Tommy's grave is located on private land. Dennis Hanks said that Tommy "did not live 3 days." Augustus H. Chapman, a Lincoln family relative by marriage, said Tommy "died when only 3 days old."

Several years ago a gentleman named Otis Wayne Miller sent me this photo:

[Image: Otis1.JPG]
Otis Wayne Miller, age 4, pictured with Little Tommy's original gravestone in 1958.

The stone has the initials T.L. carved into it, and it is felt these initials were carved by Tommy's father, Thomas Lincoln.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Anita - 10-03-2017 02:26 PM

Lincoln often felt awkward and uncomfortable around women, especially those of higher social status, but there was a woman he met after he moved to Springfield. She made him feel at ease. He enjoyed her company and wrote to her. They remained friends into his White House years. Who was she?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-03-2017 03:12 PM

Anna Caesaria Rodney?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Anita - 10-03-2017 04:58 PM

A good possibility Roger but you'll need to try again. Lincoln met this woman before he met Mary Todd.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Susan Higginbotham - 10-03-2017 07:58 PM

Mrs. Orville Browning?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Anita - 10-04-2017 03:38 PM

Yes Susan, it is indeed Mrs. Eliza Caldwell Browning. Go here to read how they met and details of their friendship over the years.
http://www.mrlincolnandfriends.org/the-women/eliza-browning/
Here's a tidbit. " In April 1838 Mr. Lincoln had written Mrs. Browning a long, saucy letter about his relationship with Mary Owens."

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-04-2017 06:23 PM

This photograph shows a bearded man with a top hat who is sitting and looking out on a river. The caption of the photo claimed that the man was Abraham Lincoln. However, the man in the photo is not Lincoln.

In what state was this photograph taken?

[Image: fakelincoln.jpg]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - mbgross - 10-04-2017 10:25 PM

Off the top of my head, I am thinking that President Lincoln only visited VA, MD,PA. I'll say VA.

(10-04-2017 06:23 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  This photograph shows a bearded man with a top hat who is sitting and looking out on a river. The caption of the photo claimed that the man was Abraham Lincoln. However, the man in the photo is not Lincoln.

In what state was this photograph taken?

[Image: fakelincoln.jpg]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 10-05-2017 04:35 AM

Pennsylvania?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-05-2017 04:48 AM

I am sorry, Mike and Eva, but it's not Virginia or Pennsylvania.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Wild Bill - 10-05-2017 07:22 AM

New York

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rogerm - 10-05-2017 08:01 AM

West Virginia

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 10-05-2017 08:14 AM

Maryland? (Despite I'd guess France...)