Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 08-14-2016 05:53 PM

Glad you like, Roger. I forgot - it is not mentioned in most books and bios, but in August 1861, on her way to Niagara Falls, Mary had payed a call on Frances Seward in Auburn, and W. Seward had accompanied her and her sons from Albany to his home.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 08-23-2016 02:14 PM

What former Civil War officer invented a beverage still in use today?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 08-23-2016 03:14 PM

What 19th-century American city has been described thusly?

It wasn’t so much a melting pot as a gumbo pot: Each group blended with the others while retaining some of its own flavor. Racial mixing was not only rampant but exuberant.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 08-23-2016 03:36 PM

New Orleans?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 08-23-2016 04:04 PM

(08-23-2016 03:14 PM)L Verge Wrote:  What 19th-century American city has been described thusly?

It wasn’t so much a melting pot as a gumbo pot: Each group blended with the others while retaining some of its own flavor. Racial mixing was not only rampant but exuberant.
NYC was/is called melting pot.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 08-23-2016 05:03 PM

A+ Gene! Have you read Empire of Sin by Gary Krist? That's the book that I quoted from.

Eva - The U.S. in general has been termed the world's "melting pot," and NYC is certainly the premier example of that. I thought that Krist was spot on, however, in showing how the various races and ethnic groups retained their own "personalities" while developing New Orleans.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 08-23-2016 05:41 PM

(08-23-2016 05:03 PM)L Verge Wrote:  A+ Gene! Have you read Empire of Sin by Gary Krist? That's the book that I quoted from.

Haven't read it. The mention of Gumbo made me think Cajun food, Louisiana and New Orleans.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 08-23-2016 07:45 PM

The mention of gumbo makes Joe Beckert salivate. He's quite the gumbo gourmet (or is the proper word gourmand?). To my English/French tongue, good gumbo is a tad too spicy. I think Yankee Joe prefers it when flames shoot out of his mouth.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 08-23-2016 10:26 PM

No guesses on my question? It's not that difficult!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-24-2016 04:44 AM

(08-23-2016 02:14 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  What former Civil War officer invented a beverage still in use today?

(08-23-2016 10:26 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  No guesses on my question? It's not that difficult!

Bill, Eva guessed John S. Pemberton and Coca Cola yesterday, but I cannot find her reply right now. But if Pemberton is correct, then Eva gets the credit, not me.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 08-24-2016 05:17 AM

Eva is correct. I did not see her guess. He was a confederate officer.
There was a union officer that also invented a beverage that we still drink today. Any idea?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-24-2016 05:30 AM

Gail Borden and condensed milk?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 08-24-2016 07:00 AM

Great guess. That's not the one I'm looking for.
Clue: the veteran in question was from Detroit.

I don't think Borden served in the Civil War.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 08-24-2016 08:50 AM

(I was hoping no one had seen my Pemberton reply as I wanted to give others the chance on a great question. I had written on herbal drugs in biology, thus felt in advantage. BTW, Coke originally was made from kola nuts and coca leaves.)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 08-24-2016 08:53 AM

Eva: I never saw your reply but you are spot on! Any guess on the other Civil War veteran that invented a beverage still used today?