Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 09-09-2012 06:20 AM

Roger: you got me on this one. I've never seen it before-and frankly don't care for it as a work of art. But, hey, I'm no artist. Smile

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 09-09-2012 09:13 AM

Hint #1: Mary is the figure who is standing.

Hint #2: Mary visited the state where this is located in the years after the assassination.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 09-09-2012 04:39 PM

I cannot think of any more clues for this one. This sculpture is located in Phillips, Wisconsin, at Fred Smith's Wisconsin Concrete Park.

The folks at the park say it was patterned after the statue of Abraham and Mary in Racine, Wisconsin.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 09-09-2012 05:33 PM

(09-09-2012 04:39 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  I cannot think of any more clues for this one. This sculpture is located in Phillips, Wisconsin, at Fred Smith's Wisconsin Concrete Park.

The folks at the park say it was patterned after the statue of Abraham and Mary in Racine, Wisconsin.

Too bad this piece of art wasn't around in Phiilips on July 26-27, 1894!! Why?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 09-09-2012 06:04 PM

Joe,

Fire?

Roger

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 09-09-2012 06:35 PM

(09-09-2012 06:04 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Joe,

Fire?

Roger

Yes, The Great Phillips Fire, although not as big as the Peshtigo fire which, since it occurred the same time as the Chicago fire, didn't get the same publicity. The Phillips fire could have destroyed this monstrosity if it was there at that time --worse than Barnard's!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 09-10-2012 09:01 AM

Robert Lincoln sent Lucy Hale gifts. One of these gifts was a book. Robert and his Harvard classmate, F.P. Anderson., gave a book to Lucy Hale and a Miss Colby.

What was the name of the book?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 09-10-2012 09:20 AM

How To Pick The Right Booth and Other Restaurant Tips?

No?

How about the Complete Works of William Shakespeare?

Best
Rob

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 09-10-2012 09:51 AM

Rob, I'd love to say you're on the right track, but I am afraid that I cannot find it in my heart to say that.

Hint #1: My source for this question is an article written by our very own Dr. Blaine Houmes.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 09-10-2012 01:05 PM

OK, Roger, I found it.

The Battle of Bunker Hill or The Temple of Liberty: An Historic Poem in Four Cantos.

I still think she would have been better off with the restaurant book. Big Grin

Best
Rob

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 09-10-2012 01:44 PM

You are correct, Rob. Kudos!! I really thought I'd have to give more clues on this one.

Like Bill, you also win free photographs of Nancy Hanks and Ann Rutledge.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 09-10-2012 01:48 PM

I had them, Roger, but I sold them to a guy on e-bay using the pseudonym of Finis Bates. I'll be happy, however, to take them back.

Best
Rob

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Laurie Verge - 09-11-2012 12:17 PM

We all know that Mrs. Lincoln and the boys did not leave the White House for over a month after Mr. Lincoln's death. Where did Andrew Johnson set up office while waiting to get into the residence?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - BettyO - 09-11-2012 12:27 PM

The Kirkwood House?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - J. Beckert - 09-11-2012 01:57 PM

The War Dept.?