Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 05-03-2016 07:28 PM

Lincoln once wrote that a particular place was a "wild region, with many bears and other wild animals still in the woods." What region was he writing about?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 05-03-2016 08:31 PM

Indiana?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 05-03-2016 08:34 PM

Laurie-yes! It was made a State two hundred years ago this year.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 05-04-2016 06:06 AM

Perry respectively Spencer County. I thought this referred to Indiana, too:
http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems-and-poets/poems/detail/45901

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 05-04-2016 07:24 AM

Long, long ago, when I first read about the "The Bear Hunt," I saw where Lincoln sent it to a man named Andrew Johnston in the 1840s. For some reason I missed the "t" in Johnston, and thought he was sending it to Andrew Johnson (who later became his second VP). It took a few years before I realized these were two different men.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 05-20-2016 07:38 AM

I know this is very easy for Forum members: who did Lincoln call his angel of the battlefield?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 05-20-2016 07:49 AM

This isn't who you are referring to, but it's interesting

http://goldenanchorsharon.blogspot.com/2011/03/richard-rowland-kirkland-angel-of.html

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 05-20-2016 08:03 AM

That is a great article Gene- and fits the narrative of angelic work.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 05-20-2016 09:01 AM

A nurse?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 05-20-2016 12:22 PM

Clara Barton

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 05-21-2016 08:26 AM

Gene: you are correct, of course. She became the founder of the Red Cross in America. Met with both Lincoln and Robert Todd Lincoln in later years. Also was active in women's rights meeting with Susan B. Anthony and others.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 05-21-2016 08:49 AM

Miss Barton also had a very difficult time getting funding for her Red Cross project until she used a little-known piece of battlefield information on a U.S. Senator. She visited Senator Conger asking for his help in securing government support. At first, he was not receptive to the idea until he discovered that Clara may well have saved his brother, Everton Conger (of the 16th NY Cavalry troop that tracked down and apprehended Booth and Herold).

Everton had been very badly injured in one of the battles. I don't remember all the gory details, but I think he was shot through his hips and lower torso. He was brought to a field hospital where Barton nursed him back to health. The Senator made the connection and helped to grease the wheels to get support for the American Red Cross. Many years ago, the Garrett Farm Patrol expert, Steve Miller, wrote an article on this for the Surratt Courier.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 05-21-2016 12:12 PM

Laurie: very cool additional information- love the assassination story tie-in.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 06-30-2016 08:45 AM

During his New Salem years Abraham Lincoln was reported to have said that "Jane had a better countenance than Susan."

Who were Jane and Susan?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 06-30-2016 10:31 AM

Mules ?