Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 03-26-2016 08:35 AM

Thanks for posting, Blaine. Very interesting!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 03-26-2016 03:24 PM

Roger is absolutely correct that Old Douglas was a camel. Here's his full story: http://www.vagazette.com/entertainment/va-vg-ruegsegger-0717-douglas-20130717-story.html

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 03-26-2016 05:23 PM

Very cool question, Laurie, I long ago read about camels being used by the Confederates, but not about "Douglas" or any furry fellow in particular. The link doesn't work for me (found the gravestone via Google) and being a lover of the species just have to add he was a dromedary (which is the African one-bumped camel. The Asian Bactrian camel has two bumps.)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 03-26-2016 10:52 PM

Here's a good site for a brief synopsis of how Douglas the Camel came to be part of American history:

http://www.weirdca.com/location.php?location=36

I first ran into the story years ago while trying to prove or disprove a story that the Surratts' eldest son, Isaac Douglas Surratt, left home on Inauguration Day in 1860 and headed west to become a Pony Express rider. I eventually determined that he did leave home on that day and did head west, but most likely under the employ of Benjamin Ficklin, who had originally conceived of a service such as the Pony Express but ended up running his own express company. Isaac appears to have dropped off in Texas and joined a Confederate cavalry unit there where he participated in the Trans-Mississippi portion of the Civil War and was one of those who went into Matamoros, Mexico.

It was while reading about the Pony Express that I ran across the story of The Camel Corps and Jefferson Davis's dealings with it while serving under President Buchanan. Benjamin Ficklin proved to be an interesting sidelight also. One of the First Families of Virginia, graduate of VMI even after being expelled for firing a howitzer at one of the buildings, creator (in thought) of the Pony Express, one-time owner of the decaying Monticello, arrested on Pennsylvania Avenue the day after Lincoln's assassination and detained for several months until it was proven that he was supposed to meet with Lincoln to discuss plans.

Sad ending to his story (just like Old Douglas) when he choked on a bone while dining at the Willard Hotel. He lingered while various attempts to dislodge the bone failed. The final attempt caused the bone to puncture an artery, and Ficklin bled to death.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 03-27-2016 05:34 AM

(03-26-2016 05:23 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Very cool question, Laurie, I long ago read about camels being used by the Confederates, but not about "Douglas" or any furry fellow in particular. The link doesn't work for me (found the gravestone via Google) and being a lover of the species just have to add he was a dromedary (which is the African one-bumped camel. The Asian Bactrian camel has two bumps.)

Eva, I searched for another link that has the same article Laurie mentioned and found one. Please try this.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 03-27-2016 06:57 AM

Thanks, Roger, but it's not possible to open this either ("file cannot be opened").

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 03-27-2016 01:45 PM

Thanks for finding that SCV newsletter, Roger. It contained some very interesting history articles besides the story of Old Douglas. I had not heard of the horrible train wreck that occurred while so many prisoners were being transported from Point Lookout in Maryland to Elmira, New York. I also learned some new details about the Irish housekeeper and confidante of Mrs. Davis and enjoyed the story on Town Line, New York, which seceded from the Union during the Civil War and never rejoined for 85 years -- after Harry Truman suggested that they do so.

I also appreciated this quote from a soldier who survived:

We didn't lose our limbs fightin so
a few rich folks could keep their
slaves. We fought because we
were invaded...by the enemy

This is displayed beside a group picture of about 7-8 old veterans - three of whom are missing a leg. It reminds us that slavery may have been at the root of the war, but there were other poisonous branches of our government and society at the time that contributed to the war. There are many times that I look around now and question what might come next.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - David Lockmiller - 03-29-2016 12:14 PM

(03-25-2016 03:41 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  David, Gideon Welles writes about this in his diary here.

Shelby Foote adds the following first-hand quote account that is not in the Welles' diary book: He thought it might also inspire Meade, and he had Halleck pass the word to him that Vicksburg had surrenedered; "Now if General Meade can complete his work so gloriously prosecuted thus far . . . the rebellion will be over."

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 04-04-2016 09:32 AM

Who was Grant's best man at his wedding?
And who was the best man related to?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Anita - 04-04-2016 11:09 AM

James Longstreet was best man. He was related to Julia Dent, I think a third or fourth cousin.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 04-04-2016 11:16 AM

Anita:
Quite correct you are very sharp!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rogerm - 04-04-2016 11:23 AM

Who was Grant's number one admirer and eventual biographer?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 04-04-2016 01:08 PM

Could it be Horace Porter?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 04-04-2016 01:59 PM

If not Porter maybe Ely Parker?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 04-04-2016 02:12 PM

Charles Dana

https://archive.org/stream/lifeulyssessgra01danagoog#page/n10/mode/2up