Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 02-23-2016 08:37 AM

The train car used to go to Gettysburg?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 02-23-2016 09:03 AM

Outstanding, Gene! Here is an article I came across:

[Image: gettysburgcar.jpg]

It's part of "Lincoln's Gettysburg Address Excerpts from newspapers and other sources Illuminating aspects of this most well-known Presidential speech References to Lincoln's Coach Car From the files of the Lincoln Financial Foundation Collection"

https://ia800308.us.archive.org/30/items/linco00linc/linco00linc.pdf

In reading all the articles I must admit there is doubt/debate over whether or not this is the actual car. Thus, my question may be flawed.

Nevertheless, Gene you win one free night in the Lincoln bedroom in the David Wills House in Gettysburg.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/98/2d/ea/982dea5857694cda6a9ea1ec80012f18.jpg

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 03-12-2016 07:58 AM

This is the bedstead on which a man or woman died. The person who died has been mentioned previously on the forum. Who is it?

[Image: bed1000.jpg]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 03-12-2016 09:25 AM

Was the photo taken in the death room?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 03-12-2016 10:17 AM

(03-12-2016 09:25 AM)L Verge Wrote:  Was the photo taken in the death room?

Yes. But I do not know how many years after the death the photo was taken.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 03-12-2016 12:11 PM

Big room, low ceiling, low but wide door, few windows, hard wood floor (eliminates a basement?)....Looks like a rope bed
Does not look like log cabin walls.
Is the building still standing?

That's not an old picture of Samuel Mudd's house is it?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 03-12-2016 12:35 PM

Looks like a very modest home (due to the very low ceiling) - so two names come into my mind: Herndon or Thomas Lincoln!?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 03-12-2016 12:48 PM

My first thought was Stonewall Jackson's death scene near Guinea Station in Virginia, but the room appears too big (though plebian), and I think his death bed was more like an officer's cot.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 03-12-2016 01:45 PM

(03-12-2016 12:48 PM)L Verge Wrote:  My first thought was Stonewall Jackson's death scene near Guinea Station in Virginia, but the room appears too big (though plebian), and I think his death bed was more like an officer's cot.
The room and bed look big, but could have been the only for a large family - to me the ceiling looks awfully low...reminds me of the very old farmhouses here, so I'm thinking of Herndon's modest farm.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 03-12-2016 03:55 PM

Good thinking Gene and Laurie, but Eva's guess of Thomas Lincoln is correct! Kudos, Eva.

Eva, your prize is simply an extension of the trip you've already won for next July. After visiting the sites in Wisconsin and South Dakota you will be taken to Charleston, Illinois, to see the sites in that area!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 03-12-2016 08:42 PM

I scrolled through the whole McClure's article and saw the tombstone for Thomas Lincoln for the first time. It was obviously erected after 1865, but it is very impressive. Do we know who arranged for it to be placed on the grave? Also, what is the denomination of the Shiloh Church shown in the photo? Around here, I would guess it to be Methodist.

Sorry if the answers are in the surrounding text of this article. I looked at pictures, but did not read the entire piece.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 03-12-2016 09:02 PM

Presbyterian

http://www.genealogytrails.com/ill/coles/shilohcem/cem_shiloh.html

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 03-12-2016 09:13 PM

Thanks, Gene. All my questions answered on the one link.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 03-13-2016 05:13 AM

(03-12-2016 03:55 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Good thinking Gene and Laurie, but Eva's guess of Thomas Lincoln is correct! Kudos, Eva.

Eva, your prize is simply an extension of the trip you've already won for next July. After visiting the sites in Wisconsin and South Dakota you will be taken to Charleston, Illinois, to see the sites in that area!
That is a truly magnificent prize, thank you, Roger!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 03-14-2016 05:50 PM

What Congressman collapsed on the floor of the House and died two days later? Lincoln helped to plan his funeral and served as an honorary pallbearer.