Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 11-17-2015 05:53 AM

This isn't the last portrait that Matthew Wilson did, but maybe it's another one by him? It actually reminds me a little of the work of Bill Nash's son, but still I doubt Nathan Nash is the answer.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 11-17-2015 07:37 AM

These are outstanding ideas, Roger, but, I am sorry to say, not correct.

Hint #: The person who painted this is internationally well-known (and in the US should be 100%).

Hint #2: It was painted in the 20th century.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Jim Page - 11-17-2015 07:43 AM

Hi, Eva--

Dwight D. Eisenhower? I believe Churchill got him interested in recreational painting.

--Jim

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 11-17-2015 09:57 AM

Brilliant, Jim!

Allegedly Eisenhower began work on the Lincoln painting while waiting for news of a Korean armistice. He was a great admirer of Lincoln.

Six of Eisenhower's paintings were later used as Christmas cards to his staff during his administration, this was the the first one.
[attachment=1939]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - ReignetteC - 11-18-2015 12:38 AM

I'll jump in, if I may, with a three-question quiz about another Lincoln portrait.

[Image: zfftLZ.jpg]

This portrait, "Abraham Lincoln," by George P. A. Healy hangs in the State Dining Room of the White House. Robert Todd Lincoln considered it the "best likeness of his father."

1. More that eighty-years ago, a well-known historical society displayed this portrait in its museum. Where?
2. When was the portrait donated to the White House?
3. A well-known columnist wrote that Robert Todd Lincoln considered it the "best likeness of his father." Who was she (hint) and what was the name of her column?

I may not be able to check your answers until late Wednesday. So since I am from NJ and we have lots of diners here, feel free to relax and enjoy a piece of apple pie.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 11-18-2015 06:22 AM

I will guess on the name of the journalist in question #3. I know Ida Tarbell met with Robert Lincoln in the 1890's. So is the woman Ida Tarbell?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - ReignetteC - 11-18-2015 09:54 AM

(11-18-2015 06:22 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  I will guess on the name of the journalist in question #3. I know Ida Tarbell met with Robert Lincoln in the 1890's. So is the woman Ida Tarbell?

Great answer, Roger. But I am looking for the columnist who was a first lady.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 11-18-2015 12:45 PM

Hi Reignette, I thought/think you are looking for a more original and contemporary source as for Robert's words (so my initial guess was Ida Tarbell, too), so this might not be correct as not nearly "o":
http://www.gwu.edu/~erpapers/myday/displaydoc.cfm?_y=1938&_f=md055090
According to this the painting was on display at the Chicago Historical Society.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - ReignetteC - 11-18-2015 02:23 PM

(11-18-2015 12:45 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Hi Reignette, I thought/think you are looking for a more original and contemporary source as for Robert's words (so my initial guess was Ida Tarbell, too), so this might not be correct as not nearly "o":
http://www.gwu.edu/~erpapers/myday/displaydoc.cfm?_y=1938&_f=md055090
According to this the painting was on display at the Chicago Historical Society.

Spot on, Eva! Yes, Ida Tarbell was indeed the primary source but Eleanor Roosevelt referred to Robert Todd's admiration of the painting in her syndicated column, "My Day." Per Rosevelt's column, she saw it on display at the Chicago Historical Society in 1938. Mary Harlan Lincoln died in 1937, I believe; the White House obtained it through the provisions set forth in her Will.

Enjoy a piece of pie at one of New Jersey's famous diners!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 11-18-2015 02:58 PM

(11-18-2015 02:23 PM)ReignetteC Wrote:  Enjoy a piece of pie at one of New Jersey's famous diners!

Eva, there is a huge selection of diners in New Jersey. Go here and click on any county, and you will see lots of choices!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 11-18-2015 03:20 PM

No Stuckey's?
(we don't have on in KY either Undecided)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 11-18-2015 07:24 PM

(11-18-2015 02:23 PM)ReignetteC Wrote:  Enjoy a piece of pie at one of New Jersey's famous diners!
Thanks, Reignette! I love to go to American restaurants!!! And I'd like cheesecake, please (or would that not be classified as a pie?)!

Please, can someone teach me - what exactly is a diner? And what a pie compared to a cake?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 11-19-2015 12:04 AM

Found the answer to my diner question here:
http://www.americandinermuseum.org/history.php
...on the website of the American Diner Museum in - Lincoln, RI.
(Reminds me of this: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=58Nz7y26Tfs ) , and this:
[attachment=1943] )

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Jim Page - 11-19-2015 08:00 AM

Hey, Eva--

For some reason, there are a lot of diners in Pennsylvania. One of the breakfast items they all seem to offer is chipped beef on toast or biscuits, and that's a yummy thing.

Some folks, especially those who know that dish from their military service, have unusual names for it.

I like it and I love diners!

--Jim

RE: Extra Credit Questions - ReignetteC - 11-19-2015 02:46 PM

(11-18-2015 07:24 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  
Thanks, Reignette! I love to go to American restaurants!!! And I'd like cheesecake, please (or would that not be classified as a pie?)!

Please, can someone teach me - what exactly is a diner? And what a pie compared to a cake?

Enjoy your cheesecake, Eva!
Here's some great history about NJ's diners:
http://www.northjersey.com/food-and-dining-news/restaurant-reviews/exhibit-tells-the-story-of-new-jersey-diners-1.1395408