Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 07-13-2015 12:13 PM

Go pretty much to the other side of the world to find this leader.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Anita - 07-13-2015 02:28 PM

Alexander II of Russia?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 07-13-2015 03:20 PM

Excellent, Miss Anita! The Tsar liberated Russia's serfs and Lincoln made the first steps to emancipating slaves in the U.S. He also suffered the same fate as Mr. Lincoln, only years later when he was assassinated by a bomb which blew off both of his feet.

I devised this trivia question after being contacted by the American-Russian Cultural Cooperation Foundation based here in D.C. During the Abraham Lincoln Bicentennial, they were one of the many groups who participated via a book and traveling exhibit that highlighted the friendship that developed between Alexander and Abraham during the crucial years of their leadership.

The Foundation was making an offer I could not resist. They have remainders of the exhibit booklets that are seeking good homes and offered them at a very fair wholesale price. We have limited quantities, but are able to sell them for $8 ppd. The books are rich with photographs, paintings, scenes from old Russia, Lincoln, our Civil War, and more -- many of them in color -- as well as a Russian history lesson that coincides with our Civil War period. Like all countries, Russia had its reasons for good diplomacy with the U.S., but they were very supportive of us during this critical period.

We accept Visa or MasterCard via phone orders at 301-868-1121 or checks and money orders made payable to Surratt House Museum and mailed to 9118 Brandywine Road, Clinton, MD 20735.

Years ago, I decided that, if I ever got bored with the Lincoln assassination topic, I would turn to studying Russian history. After seeing this book, the idea is very tempting...

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Anita - 07-13-2015 04:30 PM

Just purchased the exhibit book. Thanks Laurie.

The history of diplomatic relations with Russia during the Civil War is an interesting topic. Your post reminded me that in the fall of 1863 part of the Russian fleet arrived at the ports of New York and San Francisco. The first group came in September, and the second in October. The arrival of the Atlantic Fleet in New York created quite a stir. "....the 4,000-seat entertainment emporium — an opera house, theater, and meeting and exposition hall, all under one roof — was to host the social event of the 1863 season. The city’s elite had quickly snapped up 2,000 tickets for the “Soirée Russe”: a grand ball for the officers of the Russian fleet at anchor in New York....

This evening of lavish entertainment was the culminating moment in a series of events – a visit by MARY LINCOLN to the Russian frigate Osliaba in New York Harbor on Sept. 16; a Fifth Avenue parade on Oct. 1; and two banquets at Astor House —to celebrate the unexpected arrival of six Russian warships just weeks earlier. The first to arrive in New York Harbor, the Osliaba, had been on patrol in the Mediterranean. On Sept. 24, the Alexander Nevsky, Peresviet, Variag, Vitiaz and Almaz (with composer Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov aboard) all arrived from the Kronstadt naval base near St. Petersburg."
Click here to read the complete article by Rick Beard http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/11/08/the-russians-are-coming/

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 07-21-2015 02:17 PM

Fill in the blanks:

Once when Mary and Tad were in New York Abraham sent this telegram to Mary:

"Tell Tad the ______ and father are very well - especially the ______."

The same word goes in both blanks.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 07-21-2015 02:39 PM

Goats.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 07-21-2015 02:56 PM

Brilliant, Eva! Kudos!

You recently posted that you were away from your books, so I assume you are traveling. You win two goats, and the goats will be sent to wherever you are!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 07-21-2015 03:59 PM

Shucks! I knew the answer to that one. That'll teach me to actually focus on my work while at work...

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Jim Page - 07-21-2015 04:08 PM

Laurie, knowing Eva as well as I do, I'm certain she'll let you have one of her goats.

--Jim

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 07-21-2015 04:14 PM

Thanks, Roger, the goats arrived safely and have already made the argan trees their home like the many herds of native goats.
[attachment=1751]
Sure I share with you, Laurie - let me know which one you like...

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Jim Page - 07-21-2015 04:18 PM

(07-21-2015 04:14 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Thanks, Roger, the goats arrived safely and have already made the argan trees their home like the many herds of native goats.

That photo explains why I would never stand under an argan tree.

--Jim

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 07-21-2015 04:29 PM

Thanks, but I'll pass. I have enough problems with deer eating my bushes.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 07-28-2015 10:11 AM

In what state is this sign located?

[Image: whereisthissignlocated.jpg]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Wild Bill - 07-28-2015 10:19 AM

Pennsylvania

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 07-28-2015 10:43 AM

Kudos, Bill!! That is correct.

The sign is erroneous regarding the naming of the borough. Story here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutledge,_Pennsylvania