Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 08-31-2012 04:07 PM

(08-31-2012 02:36 PM)Gene C Wrote:  Joe, can you tell us more about "Build Your Own Lincoln Home"?

Go to Illinois State Preservation Agency web site and, on the left, click on BUILD YOUR OWN and look for Abraham Lincoln Home. Hope this helps. They have a number of Lincoln and other sites that can be done by printing the items on cardstock and following the directions. They are a challenge and it is important to take your time.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-31-2012 04:18 PM

Gene, it took me awhile to understand what you were initially asking about. Now I get it. In her biography of Mary Lincoln, author Dr. Jean Baker writes (regarding unpaid bills), "Meanwhile Mary Lincoln was looking for her own ways to pay off the overexpenditure and to prevent her husband from using any of his salary. First, she initiated a sale of secondhand White House furniture, though the broken rosewood and walnut antiques brought little cash. Typically she had overestimated the value of used presidential goods. Then she ordered the gardener to sell manure from the stables at ten cents a wagonload, though this inflated price led to more jokes than sales."

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Laurie Verge - 08-31-2012 04:48 PM

Sounds like good Yankee ingenuity to me (even though MTL was born in the South). More power to her!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 08-31-2012 08:40 PM

Joe: that count is actually too high but great try. Anyone else want a stab at it?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 09-01-2012 05:38 AM

Bill, I have tried. I did find that the first floor window dimensions (including sill and head trim) for the windows in the Lincoln Home is 6 feet 6 ½ inches. However, I have drawn a blank on the total window numbers. I checked Dr. Temple's book and didn't see the answer there. I also figured this is the type of thing that might be in Dale Carnegie's book, but I couldn't find it there, either. This question is aging me!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 09-01-2012 07:20 AM

Good morning everyone! I had never heard before that a person's stature in the community was partly esteemed by the number of windows in his residence. We learn something everyday! According to author Adam Gopnik, in his excellent book Angels and Ages: A Short Book About Darwin, Lincoln, and Modern Life, this was so. He then gives the number of windows in the Lincoln Springfield residence at...drum roll please- 17. No further comments about it given. The author was making the point, I believe, that Lincoln had achieved social and economic status in his community.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 09-01-2012 08:58 AM

Who is this?

[Image: animalwithfourlegs.jpg]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 09-01-2012 09:08 AM

(09-01-2012 08:58 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Who is this?

[Image: animalwithfourlegs.jpg]

One of Carl Sandburg's goats?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 09-01-2012 09:09 AM

A goat belonging to one of the Lincoln children?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 09-01-2012 09:10 AM

Joe is correct, but for full credit, what is the goat's name?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 09-01-2012 09:10 AM

(09-01-2012 07:20 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Good morning everyone! I had never heard before that a person's stature in the community was partly esteemed by the number of windows in his residence. We learn something everyday! According to author Adam Gopnik, in his excellent book Angels and Ages: A Short Book About Darwin, Lincoln, and Modern Life, this was so. He then gives the number of windows in the Lincoln Springfield residence at...drum roll please- 17. No further comments about it given. The author was making the point, I believe, that Lincoln had achieved social and economic status in his community.

Bill,

He is only counting the windows in the front part of the house (9 in front and 4 each on the sides). He is not counting the ones in the rear part of the house.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 09-01-2012 09:13 AM

Jennifer II, who broke the World Toggenburg record for milk production when she produced 5,750 pounds of milk in one year.

Best
Rob

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 09-01-2012 09:15 AM

Joe and Rob, you gentlemen win. Kudos.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 09-01-2012 09:19 AM

Joe: interesting...i would have thought the count would have been for all the windows.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 09-01-2012 09:20 AM

(09-01-2012 09:19 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Joe: interesting...i would have thought the count would have been for all the windows.

Me, too.