Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 05-12-2015 07:31 AM

You both have hit on the right thought, only reverse it. Slave bibles were published with all mention of any type of slavery deleted from the text on the chance that those still enslaved would read those passages.

I ran across this reference while reading about a magnificent bible that the freemen of Baltimore presented to Abraham Lincoln. Now I can't find that source again! Unlike the one that Obama took his oath on, the bible from Baltimore has a blue velvet covering.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 05-12-2015 07:54 AM

That's interesting Laurie. I'd like to find one. I imagine a nice copy would be very expensive now.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 05-14-2015 05:12 AM

Who are the four people depicted in this statue?

[Image: fourpeople10.jpg]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 05-14-2015 06:37 AM

Regarding the statue...

When I saw this statue, I couldn't get a picture of it that I liked. Photographs can't seem to do it justice, although this is good. Up close you could see a sense of determination in the man and women's face. The museum spot lights cast shadows so the photos make the facial features more stern than they really are. It is very impressive when you personally see it.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 05-14-2015 07:01 AM

Isn't that the Lincoln family?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 05-14-2015 07:17 AM

Gene and Bill, indeed you both have seen this statue. Yes, it's the Lincoln family - Nancy Hanks Lincoln, Thomas Lincoln, Sarah Lincoln, and little Abraham Lincoln. It's located inside the Visitor Center at the Abraham Lincoln Birthplace National Historic Site.

Both of you win free front row (!) Justin Bieber concert tickets.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 05-15-2015 09:41 PM

Who wrote in his diary that his purpose was "to do SOMETHING BOLD AND DRAMATIC, FORCEFUL & DYNAMIC, A STATEMENT of my manhood for the world to see"?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rogerm - 05-15-2015 10:36 PM

John Wilkes Booth?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 05-16-2015 07:10 AM

Arthur Bremer. Just learned it from dutifully checking out your wiki-link on another thread, which reads:
"On March 2, 1972, Bremer began his diary with the words: 'It is my personal plan to assassinate by pistol either Richard Nixon or George Wallace. I intend to shoot one or the other while he attends a campaign rally for the Wisconsin Primary,'" and then follows the statement you quoted.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 05-16-2015 10:56 AM

First, let me say that Roger got the point that I was trying to make. That quote sounds so much like Booth that one would immediately suspect that it was written by him. Thanks, Rogerm.

Eva - Thank you for doing the assignment and reading up on Arthur Bremmer. I'm willing to bet that only a few readers on this forum have heard of or remember the attack on Gov. George Wallace. I remember it well because of its closeness to me here in Maryland. I was also in my last month of teaching at the time. I was retiring and getting married. I had a student teacher that I was mentoring, and he called me at almost the moment I walked into my apartment to tell me what had happened. His words were to the effect that "Boy, have we got a great lesson plan!"

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 05-19-2015 08:46 PM

Most probably know this but I'll throw it out here anyway:
What terrorist was wearing a T-shirt with the phrase "Sic Semper Tyrannis" on the front?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - J. Beckert - 05-20-2015 09:39 AM

Timothy McVeigh.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 05-20-2015 10:05 AM

You are correct! I wonder if he wore the shirt intentionally- I suppose he did considering what he did. I also wonder if he knew the connection of the phrase to JWB?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 05-20-2015 10:53 AM

I bet he did!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - DanielC - 05-20-2015 06:30 PM

(05-20-2015 10:05 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  You are correct! I wonder if he wore the shirt intentionally- I suppose he did considering what he did. I also wonder if he knew the connection of the phrase to JWB?

Let's hope the government can expedite Tsarnaev leaving this world as quickly as McVeigh.