Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - STS Lincolnite - 05-04-2015 10:36 PM

(05-04-2015 12:16 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  During Abraham Lincoln's Springfield funeral the downtown businesses were decorated with emblems of mourning. According to one eyewitness, one business had the most elegant decoration in the entire city. The name of this business has been mentioned on the forum in at least one other thread. What business was this?

Matheny and Company?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 05-05-2015 04:52 AM

Good try, Scott. But that is not it.

Hint #1: Previous mention of this store is associated with a certain event.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 05-05-2015 05:48 AM

I am sure it's wrong - Chatterton's jewelry store?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 05-05-2015 07:56 AM

Kudos, Eva! It was indeed Chatterton's. This is where Mary's wedding ring was purchased in 1842.

You win a gift certificate good for any single item of your choice from Chatterton's jewelry shop.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 05-05-2015 08:09 AM

Thanks, what a luxury prize!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 05-09-2015 05:37 AM

As far as I know there is only one statue of Abraham Lincoln with a pig. Where is this statue located?

[Image: lincolnandpig.jpg]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 05-09-2015 09:55 AM

(05-09-2015 05:37 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  As far as I know there is only one statue of Abraham Lincoln with a pig. Where is this statue located?

[Image: lincolnandpig.jpg]

Taylorville, IL.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnToddFan - 05-09-2015 10:01 AM

I don't know where it's located but it's charming...I love it!Tongue

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 05-09-2015 10:12 AM

I agree, Toia. Joe, you are the winner! Kudos.

The story of the statue is here:

http://www.abrahamlincolnonline.org/lincoln/news/taylorville.htm

Joe, you win very best wishes for a wonderful Ohio spring and summer.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 05-09-2015 10:26 AM

More info about the statue. Taylorville is about 20 miles southeast of Springfield, IL
http://www.abrahamlincolnonline.org/lincoln/art/taylorville.htm

This web site has an interesting links page regarding Lincoln Statues (among other things)
http://www.abrahamlincolnonline.org/lincoln/art/sculpt.htm

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 05-10-2015 08:48 PM

What was a "Slave's Bible?"

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 05-11-2015 02:08 PM

Can we have a hint?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 05-11-2015 09:11 PM

It's tough to give a hint without giving away the answer, but here goes: Edited version.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 05-11-2015 10:22 PM

Ok, does it have to do with such as the following passages?

"However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you.  You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land.  You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance.  You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way." (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

"If you buy a Hebrew slave, he is to serve for only six years.  Set him free in the seventh year, and he will owe you nothing for his freedom.  If he was single when he became your slave and then married afterward, only he will go free in the seventh year.  But if he was married before he became a slave, then his wife will be freed with him.  If his master gave him a wife while he was a slave, and they had sons or daughters, then the man will be free in the seventh year, but his wife and children will still belong to his master.  But the slave may plainly declare, 'I love my master, my wife, and my children.  I would rather not go free.'  If he does this, his master must present him before God.  Then his master must take him to the door and publicly pierce his ear with an awl.  After that, the slave will belong to his master forever." (Exodus 21:2-6 NLT)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 05-11-2015 10:31 PM

I was thinking of the following - Ephesians 6:5-9, (mainly verse 9)

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ. 6 Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart. 7 Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not people, 8 because you know that the Lord will reward each one for whatever good they do, whether they are slave or free.

9. And masters, treat your slaves in the same way. Do not threaten them, since you know that he who is both their Master and yours is in heaven, and there is no favoritism with him.