Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 03-23-2015 03:14 PM

Kudos, Anita - that is correct!!! I cannot think of a prize matching the question, so you win my best wishes for a wonderful day in CA!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 03-25-2015 05:44 PM

Where is this, respectively what happened here?
[attachment=1529]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 03-26-2015 04:57 AM

Could it be from Gettysburg?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 03-26-2015 05:12 AM

(03-26-2015 04:57 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Could it be from Gettysburg?
Kudos, Roger - this is the Soldiers' National Monument, which markes the spot where A. Lincoln delivered his Gettysburg Address.
[attachment=1531]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - STS Lincolnite - 03-27-2015 09:53 PM

(03-26-2015 05:12 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  
(03-26-2015 04:57 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Could it be from Gettysburg?
Kudos, Roger - this is the Soldiers' National Monument, which markes the spot where A. Lincoln delivered his Gettysburg Address.

Actually, the Soldier's National Monument does not mark the spot of the platform where Lincoln delivered his address. That was erroneously reported by someone long ago and it has been perpetuated for many years in many forms of media. Adding to the confusion is the Kentucky Memorial erected in 1975 which states: "Kentucky honors her son, Abraham Lincoln, who delivered his immortal address at the site now marked by the soldiers' monument."

A correspondent for the Cincinnati Daily Commercial reporting in November 1863 described the dividing lines between the state grave plots as follows: "the radii of a common center, where a flag pole is now raised, but where it is proposed to erect a national monument". As can be seen with a visit today, the Soldier's and Sailors Monument is in fact placed at the common center of radii of the state graves as per the plan reported by this correspondent in 1863.

This account has been critical to getting a more accurate assessment of the true location of the platform. Several photographs and drawings of the event show the mentioned flagpole along with the Evergreen Cemetery gatehouse and a couple of other landmarks. Using these landmarks compared with the visible speaker's platform and Everett's "relief tent", modern photo analysis (in 1980s and 1990s) has placed the probable location of the speaker's platform in Evergreen Cemetery just beyond the fence that currently marks the division with the National Cemetery (the fence was not present in 1863). The Evergreen Cemetery location also fits better with contemporary eyewitness accounts that describe the location having a spectacular and commanding view of that area of the battlefield. The NPS has in fact erected a historical marker not far from the Soldier's and Sailor's Monument that agrees with the assessment that the platform was most likely located just inside Evergreen Cemetery. I know there is at least one group currently using 21st century technology in an attempt to even better define the area of the probable location of the speaker's platform.

As you might have guessed, I have done some preliminary study on this subject. In November, I am giving a talk on the "few appropriate remarks" that Lincoln so eloquently delivered at Gettysburg in 1863.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - mbgross - 03-27-2015 10:05 PM

(07-22-2012 05:14 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Today I am starting a new section in the Trivia category. I hope it catches on...we'll see. Teachers often ask their students extra credit questions on tests, in homework, or even over a weekend...."your answer must be in by Monday at 8:00 A.M." type of situation.

In other words the questions here might not involve the detail of what Joe may ask in his Stump the Yankee column or what I have been asking in the Trivial Trivia category.

Anybody can ask a question here.

I will start out with:

Name the city and circumstances where Abraham Lincoln first met Edwin Stanton.

Cincinnati in a court case.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 03-28-2015 05:23 AM

You are correct, Mike. They first met in Cincinnati. It was an 1855 case involving McCormick vs. Manny.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 04-08-2015 06:33 AM

Very sad story - Lincoln's dog, Fido, was killed by a drunk in 1866. Fido was trying to be friendly, but the man apparently misunderstood his intentions. What was the name of the intoxicated man who killed poor Fido?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 04-08-2015 07:00 AM

That's a good question Roger, I never caught his name.
I should have known better, Mom warned me about going up to strangers (especially drunks with knives)

In my defense I must say I was curious about him (he had an unusual smell about him) and I was somewhat protective and concerned for the safety of all the children in the neighborhood.

Fido

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 04-08-2015 10:18 AM

D**n - I read the name just recently but cannot remember, and my Abe&Fido book is 4900 miles away.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 04-08-2015 12:33 PM

Close enough, Eva! This book is very new, and most folks probably do not have it. It's the only book I have ever seen which has the man's name. The name is Charles Planck. He was 24 at the time of Fido's killing and, according to the author, already had the reputation of a loser in Springfield.

You have won the right to be the judge in a bench trial for Charles Planck and do anything with him you'd like.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 04-09-2015 08:51 PM

The author's description of Fido's assassination and sad ending filled my eyes with tears. Poor doggie.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnToddFan - 04-09-2015 11:19 PM

(04-08-2015 06:33 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Very sad story - Lincoln's dog, Fido, was killed by a drunk in 1866. Fido was trying to be friendly, but the man apparently misunderstood his intentions. What was the name of the intoxicated man who killed poor Fido?

I didn't remember the creep's name either. But I can give you very vivid details of what I would have liked to have done to him for hurting that poor dog!!Angry

It's so upsetting.Sad

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 04-16-2015 09:35 AM

(03-12-2015 10:08 AM)Gene C Wrote:  I've got it now. A slight correction to my previous post....

Did this occur in a hotel that has since been torn down located in a more western state than New Jersey?
Like maybe the Leavenworth Planter's Hotel in Leavenworth Kansas?

I found this interesting article about something that happened at the hotel
http://www.nps.gov/subjects/ugrr/ntf_member/ntf_member_details.htm?SPFID=36584

Here is another photo --second row, far right. Click on it for an enlarged view.
http://www.leavenworthcounty.org/gallery_historic.asp

Leavenworth,Kanasa was a dangerous place at this time. (Note the last two paragraphs)
http://www.legendsofkansas.com/leavenworthbordertroubles3.html

Thank you to Laurie for sending this information:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

In commemoration of the 150th anniversary of the end of the Civil War and the death of President Abraham Lincoln, the Leavenworth County Historical Society at the Carroll Mansion Museum, 1128 Fifth Ave., will host an all day Civil War encampment on the museum grounds, Saturday, April 18, 2015, from 10am to 4pm. Civil War artifacts will be on display as well as the Civil War design quilts of Mrs. Jerry Brown. The original beehive steps from the Planters Hotel, from which Lincoln spoke during his 1859 visit to Leavenworth, are available to view on the museum grounds.

At 10:30 am, Natalie Rotkoff, museum volunteer, will hold an in-door presentation titled, “Leavenworth and the Civil War” to explore life in the Leavenworth area in the pre and post Civil War period. On exhibit will be Civil War era portraits from the Everhard Glass Plate Negative Collection and a few artifacts held by the museum.

At 1pm, the First City String Band will provide Civil War era music on the museum grounds.

Mrs. Rotkoff’s presentation and viewing of the Civil War encampment with exhibit tables is free and open to the public until 4pm. Admission is charged for tours of the museum throughout the day. For more information, contact the museum, 682-7759 or e-mail: <mailto:leavenworthhistory@kc.twcbc.com> leavenworthhistory@kc.twcbc.com

Beverly Lynch

Museum Coordinator

The Carroll Mansion Museum

Home of the Leavenworth County Historical Society

1128 Fifth Ave

Leavenworth KS 66048

913-682-7759

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 05-04-2015 12:16 PM

During Abraham Lincoln's Springfield funeral the downtown businesses were decorated with emblems of mourning. According to one eyewitness, one business had the most elegant decoration in the entire city. The name of this business has been mentioned on the forum in at least one other thread. What business was this?