Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 02-21-2015 09:52 AM

When speaking about Lincoln who said this?

"God send us such men again! We are confused by a war of interests, a clash of classes, a competition of powers, an effort at conquest and restraint, and the great forces which war and toil among us can be guided and reconciled only by some man who is truly a man of the people, as Lincoln was...He must not be too hot or intense, must be large and genial and salted with humor, but as certain and definite as the veriest tool of precision in his penetration and in his exposition of all that he sees and knows; a man who speaks as fearlessly as he looks upon the affairs about him, and who never withholds himself from any use or declines the challenge of any call of duty; a man of universal sympathy and universal use, whom few men can approach in power, but to whom all men can feel akin and with whom all men can dare to be familiar."

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 02-21-2015 10:33 AM

(02-21-2015 09:52 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  When speaking about Lincoln who said this?

"God send us such men again! We are confused by a war of interests, a clash of classes, a competition of powers, an effort at conquest and restraint, and the great forces which war and toil among us can be guided and reconciled only by some man who is truly a man of the people, as Lincoln was...He must not be too hot or intense, must be large and genial and salted with humor, but as certain and definite as the veriest tool of precision in his penetration and in his exposition of all that he sees and knows; a man who speaks as fearlessly as he looks upon the affairs about him, and who never withholds himself from any use or declines the challenge of any call of duty; a man of universal sympathy and universal use, whom few men can approach in power, but to whom all men can feel akin and with whom all men can dare to be familiar."

The eloquence of the quote leads me to think it might have been Winston Churchill.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 02-21-2015 10:39 AM

Joe, that is a terrific guess, but it's not Winston Churchill.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - STS Lincolnite - 02-21-2015 11:06 AM

I have seen this before somewhere. I think it was Woodrow Wilson.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 02-21-2015 11:40 AM

Good job, Scott. It was indeed Wilson. This was part of Wilson's address in Chicago on February 12, 1909, commemorating the centennial of Lincoln's birth. At the time Wilson was president of Princeton University.

My source for Wilson's centennial tribute was the November 24, 1941, edition of Lincoln Lore (thanks again to Reignette!)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 02-28-2015 06:45 AM

Herb's latest post made me think of this question -

Who thought that movements to give women the right to vote should be treated "with some neglect" because those who availed themselves with the privilege would "behave so inconsequent a manner as to reduce the whole matter to an absurdity"?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 02-28-2015 10:51 AM

Hint #1: It was a lady's opinion.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rogerm - 02-28-2015 12:06 PM

Was it Clara Barton's opinion?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 02-28-2015 12:52 PM

Good guess, Roger, but I'm sorry this wasn't Clara Barton's statement.

Hint #2: The lady who said this was married to a politician.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - PaigeBooth - 02-28-2015 01:59 PM

Hi Eva,

I am thinking, could it be Josphine Dodge?? I believe she was head of the National Association Opposed to Women's Suffrage.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 02-28-2015 03:24 PM

Hi Paige,
This is an outstanding guess - and probably she made statements similar to the one I posted above. I am sorry though the very lady I quoted is not Josphine Dodge.

Hint #3: The lady is well-known on this forum.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 02-28-2015 03:28 PM

Hi Eva. I am going to guess Mary Lincoln.

Regarding Mary Lincoln's feelings Jean Baker writes, "Female abolitionists and suffragists gained no respect from her; she believed them unwomanly creatures. She had no interest in obtaining the vote, intending instead to influence her husband."

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 02-28-2015 03:37 PM

Kudos, Roger - it was Mary Lincoln who said this! (Mary's husband didn't share her opinion. In a letter (dated June 13, 1836) he wrote to the editor of the Sangamo Journal: "I go for admitting all whites to the right of suffrage who pay taxes or bear arms - by no means excluding females.")

Roger, you win a prize Mary did favor - Mary's legend-ary white almond cake:
[attachment=1492]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 02-28-2015 03:54 PM

Thanks, Eva! Looks delicious!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 02-28-2015 04:27 PM

23. Union Soldiers taking a break 1863.
http://boredomtherapy.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/colorized-old-photos-23.jpg

Who is the soldier front right scratching the dog?