Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - STS Lincolnite - 01-08-2015 03:02 PM

My guess would be the man indicated by the red arrow.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 01-08-2015 04:33 PM

I have no idea, could only sort some out (Scott's guess looks good to me), but it's a fascinating photo - I've never seen it!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 01-08-2015 04:51 PM

Excellent, Scott, that's him! And also kudos to Eva for agreeing with Scott.

You both win one coupon for a free dish of hasty pudding. Enjoy!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 01-17-2015 06:42 AM

These two men have a connection to Abraham Lincoln. What are their names, and what is the connection?

[Image: twomenstanding.jpg]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 01-17-2015 11:37 AM

I have zero clue. Being a trivia and guessing-game addict I try to approach. The photo looks post-1865 to me, maybe 1880s. Hmmm. Two brothers? Maybe they built something that has to do with Lincoln?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rogerm - 01-17-2015 12:56 PM

Did these two men play some roll in the attempt to steal Abraham Lincoln's body from his grave?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 01-17-2015 02:44 PM

Eva and Roger, you both made excellent guesses but not correct.

Hint #1: Roger's guess was closer to the right answer.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 01-17-2015 05:38 PM

Since they appear to be laborers, I'm going to expand on Rogerm's guess that they had something to do with constructing the Lincoln tomb in the years after his burial?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 01-17-2015 07:52 PM

Looks like Jib Jab to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVYSQPR3He4

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 01-17-2015 09:09 PM

(01-17-2015 07:52 PM)Gene C Wrote:  Looks like Jib Jab to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVYSQPR3He4

OMG - they do look like the Jib Jab pair. And, the video is great! "Abe" can sure move those long legs.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 01-18-2015 04:17 AM

Were they involved in one of the re-openings of the coffin?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 01-18-2015 06:10 AM

Kudos, Eva! That is correct. In 1901, when Lincoln's coffin was opened for the final time (contrary to RTL's specific request), two men were called upon. Their names were Leon P. Hopkins and his nephew, Charles L. Willey. They were plumbers by trade. Dorothy Kunhardt writes that the men were sent for "to chisel an oblong piece out of the top of the lead-lined coffin just over Lincoln's head and shoulders." These same men were also involved with a previous opening in 1887. For 14 years Hopkins thought he was the last man to see Lincoln's face and never imagined he would be called upon again.

Eva, it's hard to think of an appropriate prize for this one, so I just send best wishes for a nice, hopefully warm January day in Germany.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnToddFan - 01-18-2015 12:27 PM

Fascinating. One of these days I will correctly guess the answer to one of these questions. Until then I will continue to marvel at some of you folks. I feel like such a dunce, LOL!!Confused

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 01-18-2015 02:38 PM

Thank you, Roger! Would love that prize. Sadly the delivery seems delayed indefinitely, Today it began snowing and the 8 days forecast looks gloomy.

Toia, you are by no means a dunce. The road to success is quite often just wild guessing and "trial and error" without any fear of ridicule...

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 01-18-2015 02:40 PM

(01-18-2015 12:27 PM)LincolnToddFan Wrote:  Fascinating. One of these days I will correctly guess the answer to one of these questions. Until then I will continue to marvel at some of you folks. I feel like such a dunce, LOL!!Confused

If you are a dunce, I want to be one too!