Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 08-27-2012 08:29 PM

I relish these conversations although sometimes when it comes to puns I can't cut the mustard.

Best
Rob

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 08-27-2012 08:51 PM

OMG! That's a great one - and now I'm going to sleep.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 08-27-2012 09:45 PM

Laurie: Yes, I had the same experience. My Tennessee family all used ketchup for breakfast!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 08-28-2012 09:20 AM

(08-27-2012 08:29 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  I relish these conversations although sometimes when it comes to puns I can't cut the mustard.

Best
Rob

Rob, I don't always relish puns.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Donna McCreary - 08-28-2012 01:09 PM

Do you spell that "ketchup" or "catsup?"
Here in the southern part of Indiana, we use both spellings - put ketchup on our scrambled eggs, fried potatoes, french fries, hamburgers, ham, sausage, and yes, I know people who love a good bit of the red stuff on a hot dog. Personally, I find that a little bit in deviled eggs makes them very yummy. Every year at our family reunion, my deviled eggs are the first ones eaten. When people ask what the 'secret' is, they are always surprised when I tell them ketchup.

I think Lincoln ate catsup -- or at least the kind my grandmother use to make. It is chunky - more like a chow chow - with green peppers, diced onions, and some sweet spices. This stuff is excellent on just about anything - including a baked potato with sour cream. I try to make a batch of it every year or two.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Laurie Verge - 08-28-2012 04:45 PM

Your grandmother's recipe sounds almost like salsa. BTW - how much ketchup in the deviled eggs approximately???

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Donna McCreary - 08-28-2012 10:03 PM

(08-28-2012 04:45 PM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  Your grandmother's recipe sounds almost like salsa. BTW - how much ketchup in the deviled eggs approximately???

The difference between my grandmother's catsup and salsa is that salsa has hot spices and peppers, whereas the catsup has sweet spices and a few sweet peppers. Plus, salsa is always chunkier and thicker. The catsup cooks down - there are a few - but not many - chunks of anything.

My Tupperware egg hold has room for eight whole eggs -- I use maybe 1 1/2 tablespoons of ketchup. I use organic ketchup -- nothing with HFC.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-31-2012 05:47 AM

What is the connection between Abraham Lincoln and "Rebecca?"

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 08-31-2012 09:35 AM

(08-31-2012 05:47 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  What is the connection between Abraham Lincoln and "Rebecca?"

This refers to the anonymous letters signed Rebecca that satirized the Democrats, particularly James Shields. One was written by Lincoln himself; Mary was complicit in the other three (I believe).

The upshot of this episode is that it led to the "duel" between Lincoln and Shields--which never came off. Lincoln was embarrassed by this episode and would not hear of anyone ever mentioning it.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-31-2012 10:18 AM

Very good, Joe! You nailed it.

I would present you with a free duel with someone, but I suppose that would not be considered a very good prize...

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 08-31-2012 10:38 AM

2 shovels and a pile of manure?

Did Mary Lincoln try to sell White House manure? (she was a lady ahead of her time)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 08-31-2012 10:53 AM

According to one author, a sign of success during Lincoln's time was partly indicated by how many windows a person had in his residence. The author then gives the count of windows Lincoln had in his Springfield home (after the addition). Based on the count, the author states Lincoln had achieved a level of success that many had not. The question for this trivia thread is: How many windows were there? It will be a bonus if anyone guesses the author and book I found this bit of info in.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 08-31-2012 01:52 PM

(08-31-2012 10:53 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  According to one author, a sign of success during Lincoln's time was partly indicated by how many windows a person had in his residence. The author then gives the count of windows Lincoln had in his Springfield home (after the addition). Based on the count, the author states Lincoln had achieved a level of success that many had not. The question for this trivia thread is: How many windows were there? It will be a bonus if anyone guesses the author and book I found this bit of info in.

Hi, Bill,

In looking at my photos of the home and at the "pieces" from the Build Your Own Lincoln Home from the Illinois Preservation Agency, I count 28. I am going to Hazard guesses for the source you mention: Wayne Temple's BY SQUARE AND COMPASSES or Paul Angle's HERE I HAVE LIVED.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 08-31-2012 02:36 PM

Joe, can you tell us more about "Build Your Own Lincoln Home"?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 08-31-2012 04:03 PM

(08-31-2012 10:38 AM)Gene C Wrote:  Did Mary Lincoln try to sell White House manure? (she was a lady ahead of her time)

http://www.foodhistory.com/foodnotes/leftovers/mrslincolnpaid.htm

Is this story true?