Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-20-2014 08:20 AM

That is another excellent guess, Eva. But not correct.

Hint#2: Confusion is common.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 10-20-2014 01:09 PM

(10-20-2014 08:20 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Hint#2: Confusion is common.
HA! The Edwards' son's house = Edwards PLACE?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-20-2014 01:34 PM

Brilliant, Eva! Some folks see that there is an Edwards' home still standing in Springfield and think this is the home where Mary and Abraham were married in 1842 and where Mary died in 1882. But that home no longer stands. Ninian Edwards' brother, Benjamin Edwards, also had a home in Springfield. This is the Edwards Place at 700 N. 4th Street which still stands today. From that link it says this home "is now the oldest house in Springfield still on its original foundation."

Eva, you win my personal guarantee that the dreaded Polar Vortex will not visit Germany this winter!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 10-20-2014 02:39 PM

Hooray - what a divine prize!!! (If you don't know what to do with all the leftover Polarwirbel - Herr Beckert will be most delighted if you forward it all to him...)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnToddFan - 10-20-2014 10:33 PM

It's a lovely home Roger, thanks for providing a photo!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-21-2014 09:13 AM

Thank you, Toia!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-21-2014 09:16 AM

During Lincoln's presidency this man was accused of being a "peeping Tom."

Lincoln remarked that he "should be elevated to the peerage with the title of Count Peeper."

Who was this man?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-21-2014 12:25 PM

Hint #1: This man was related to Stephen A. Douglas' second wife.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-21-2014 01:19 PM

Hint #2: The incident happened at the Burnet House in Cincinnati on April 10, 1863.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-21-2014 01:40 PM

Hint #3: He is buried in Arlington National Cemetery.

Hint #3.5: He is a Medal of Honor winner.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 10-21-2014 06:26 PM

That was a hard one, Roger! (Upon consulting Benjamin Thomas' bio -) James Madison Cutts - for he was peeping at an undressed lady...
And the namesake was the Swedish Minister, Edward Count Piper, who's in this photo of "Diplomats at the Foot of an Unidentified Waterfall - NY State, August 1863" (have your spy glass ready!):
[attachment=1075]
Left to right: Unidentified; State Department Messenger Donaldson; Unidentified; Count Alexander de Bodisco; Count Edward Piper, Swedish Minister; Joseph Bertinatti, Italian Minister; Luis Molina, Nicaraguan Minister (seated); Rudolph Mathias Schleiden, Hanseatic Minister; Henri Mercier, French Minister; William H. Seward, Secretary of State (seated); Lord Richard Lyons, British Minister; Baron Edward de Stoeckel, Russian Minister (seated); and Sheffield, British Attache

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnToddFan - 10-21-2014 10:42 PM

Wow Eva...you are amazingly good at this!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-22-2014 04:56 AM

Eva, I second Toia! I was thinking I would just give the answer, but you found it! Excellent! The source of the quote by Lincoln concerning this matter is John Hay. There is a page here which gives some information about the life of James Madison Cutts:

http://www.canadianmedalofhonor.com/wednesday-and-friday-blogs/court-marshalled-and-dismissedfrom-military-service-president-saves-him-goes-on-to-earn-what-some-claim-were-three-medals-of-honor

Eva, as this is a family website, I cannot think of an appropriate prize (as I am guessing you would not want to win a peep at Manuel Neuer). So therefore I will just send very best wishes for a wonderful day.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 10-22-2014 07:03 AM

Thanks, Toia, but in this case, as admitted in my reply, I was just good at checking my books. ("Count Peeper" did ring a bell though, but not more than that.) I'm just addicted to trivia and such games.

Roger, thank you, a wonderful day is always a wonderful prize! I admit though I wouldn't have denied the other one...(and you would get plenty membership registrations from Germany if word spread one can win such here...)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 11-04-2014 04:34 AM

By whom is the following quote?
"To begin a reform, go not into the places of the great and rich; go rather to those whose cups of happiness are empty - to the poor and humble."