Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 09-26-2014 07:40 PM

(09-26-2014 06:41 PM)Anita Wrote:  I've been trying to trap two large pesty raccoons that keep tearing up my small yard. Maybe Yuengling's beer would do the trick.
Don't know about raccoons, but beer traps work well to prevent strawberry beds from snail and slug attacks.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Anita - 09-26-2014 07:52 PM

(09-26-2014 07:02 PM)L Verge Wrote:  
Anita, you would have to get me soooo drunk to get me on a plane that the crew would throw me back off immediately! My flying days are over; this old head cannot take the pressure of take-offs and landings any more, plus those planes seem to fall out of the sky a lot more than they did thirty years ago. With my luck, my seat would be next to Al-Undervar Bomber.

Well, how about a train? I'm with you. Flying is not the glamorous adventure it used to be. And the way they're cramming the seats together for us regular folks gave me an idea for a cartoon.

A person is at an airport ticket counter trying to purchase a seat. The agent asks "Inside or outside?" Behind the agent is a big glass window with a plane at the gate. Seats are fastened to the wing! Additional fees for outdoor seating: oxygen mask; down jacket and goggles.

(09-26-2014 07:40 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  
(09-26-2014 06:41 PM)Anita Wrote:  I've been trying to trap two large pesty raccoons that keep tearing up my small yard. Maybe Yuengling's beer would do the trick.
Don't know about raccoons, but beer traps work well to prevent strawberry beds from snail and slug attacks.

Thanks Eva. I don't have strawberries. I do have snails and slugs. Do they get drunk?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 09-26-2014 07:57 PM

(09-26-2014 07:52 PM)Anita Wrote:  
(09-26-2014 07:02 PM)L Verge Wrote:  
Anita, you would have to get me soooo drunk to get me on a plane that the crew would throw me back off immediately! My flying days are over; this old head cannot take the pressure of take-offs and landings any more, plus those planes seem to fall out of the sky a lot more than they did thirty years ago. With my luck, my seat would be next to Al-Undervar Bomber.

Well, how about a train? I'm with you. Flying is not the glamorous adventure it used to be. And the way they're cramming the seats together for us regular folks gave me an idea for a cartoon.

A person is at an airport ticket counter trying to purchase a seat. The agent asks "Inside or outside?" Behind the agent is a big glass window with a plane at the gate. Seats are fastened to the wing! Additional fees for outdoor seating: oxygen mask; down jacket and goggles. Love it!

(09-26-2014 07:40 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  

Thanks Eva. I don't have strawberries. I do have snails and slugs. Do they get drunk?

Besides going great with pizza, beer can do wondrous things. Get an ecology lesson on its uses here: http://www.networx.com/article/14-uses-for-beer-around-the-house

When I was in my twenties and teaching, a Friday afternoon ritual for those of us who were not married was to gather at Shakey's Pizza Parlor and have pizza and beer for dinner. The beer was served in ice cold pitchers with that inviting sweat dripping down the sides.

Fast forward a few years, and I am in the hospital's labor room for two-and-a-half days with a stubborn daughter refusing to make her entrance into the world (three weeks early). All I could think of was a pitcher of Shakey's beer. I don't remember the birth because they finally knocked me out, but I do remember waking up and still thinking about that pitcher of beer!

That night, my husband went out for a breather and came back with a cold can of Michelob tucked under his jacket. It wasn't quite the same as that cold pitcher, but it sure tasted good. One of the nurses found out, but said that it was perfectly okay for me to have it because I was a nursing mother, and the hops in beer helps to produce healthy milk.

Several months later, we were having problems breaking the baby of waking up at 2 am. Her pediatrician told me to drink wine with dinner and that it would be in my system by the 10 pm feeding - enough to get her to sleep. Boy did I feel guilty, but after just two nights, she was sleeping through the night. And no, she is not an alcoholic -- and neither am I. I bet it has been thirty years since I had a beer, and my total consumption of alcohol in a year is less than ten drinks. I prefer iced tea, thank you.

So much for the confessions of Laurie Verge...

I promise I'm signing off and going to bed now, but just one more use for beer: I dawned on me that we used to use beer as a hair conditioner in college. Of course, no alcohol was allowed in our dorms then; so we used to pour the beer into empty Listerine bottles and keep it in plain sight. It was amazing to see so many Listerine bottles in the gang shower at the same time each night! The bathrooms always smelled so antiseptic after we all washed our hair...

Joseph - See what YOU started by liking Yuengling beer!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - J. Beckert - 09-26-2014 09:24 PM

Rats!! A Yuengling trivia question and I missed it because I had to work! I'd have nailed that for sure. Dang it....

Kinda like that guy on TV says - "I don't always drink beer...", but when I do, I drink Yuengling. I can't say if it's good for trapping slugs (no Yankee jokes, please), but like Laurie said, bears love it too! I love whiskey, but rarely drink it. I do have a good friend in Southern Maryland that has a stash I just can't say no to, however.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-08-2014 05:26 AM

What is depicted here?

[Image: whatissthiss.jpg]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 10-08-2014 11:46 AM

If we're following the drinking theme, I'm going to guess that it's one of the floating gambling/taverns that used to be popular up through Prohibition.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - tblunk - 10-08-2014 12:06 PM

Boats. I win!!!!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 10-08-2014 12:22 PM

Looks like a swimming pavilion for a celebration/an exhibition. To me it looks as if sketched earlier than the Prohibition era, I wonder how many stars there were on the flags?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-08-2014 01:49 PM

Oh my...no one is close (although I agree with Tom that there are boats in the image).

Hint #1: Depicted is an event that happened in 1865.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 10-08-2014 03:20 PM

If this is not the correct answer, I'm taking my toys and going home!

On the opening of the Yachting Season in the year 1865, a few gentlemen, owners of yachts on the Upper Delaware River, met at the residence of Edward H. Ogden, Riverton, N.J., to consider the project of forming a yacht club. After a full interchange of views it was unanimously decided to organize the Riverton Yacht Club, and on July 1st, 1865 an organization was effected, which to-day stands as the oldest yacht club on the Delaware River, and the ninth oldest in the United States. Caspar W. Morris was elected Commodore; Jacob G. Morris , Vice Commodore, and Edward H. Ogden, Secretary Treasurer.

This occurred at a time when our civil war had just closed: President Lincoln had recently been assassinated, and an intense loyal and patriotic feeling prevailed over the country. The Committee appointed to select a club signal, concluded that nothing could be more appropriate than one with thirteen stars in a blue field and the red and white stripes.

Quoted from their website.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-08-2014 03:34 PM

That is a good try, Laurie, but I am afraid not correct.

Hint #2: One of the boats in the sketch was named the Jersey City.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 10-08-2014 04:00 PM

Okay, I'm finished pouting about the yacht club answer. Let's try this: Could the big ship/boat be the Jersey City ferry that carried Lincoln's funeral coach across the river to New York? If so, shouldn't the flags be at half-mast?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-08-2014 04:12 PM

Brilliant, Laurie! That is exactly what the sketch depicts! There is a larger image here:

http://www.mrlincolnandnewyork.org/photo_credits.asp?photoID=116&subjectID=2&ID=29

I cannot think of an appropriate prize for this question, so I will just send all good wishes your way.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 10-08-2014 05:26 PM

Roger, I actually found the answer on your Abraham Lincoln Research website! No sketch, but the clue Jersey City did it for me. I started googling Jersey City in 1865.

I can think of an appropriate prize - based on my earlier incorrect answer. How about a modern day yacht from the Riverton Yacht Club?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 10-08-2014 05:54 PM

Wow, that was a great question (- and I think the prize for solving this is appropriate...)