Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 09-17-2014 08:01 PM

I'll take Hawaii Toast #2 with a double helping of Tom Selleck, or Magnum PI! Thank you, so much.

Betty will enjoy this memory: For many years, the wonderful and great home-grown historian, John C. Brennan, would take a group of us on cemetery haunts. He enjoyed packing a picnic lunch for us also. Nine times out of ten, they were pineapple sandwiches -- canned pineapple slices between two slices of bread with mayo. Your recipes sound much more tempting. I used to love when my mother fixed a Christmas ham with the pineapple slices, cherries, and brown sugar coating. And cheese is good with anything.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 09-17-2014 09:28 PM

Mr. Magnum will bring a cheese hedgehog, too:
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art176825.asp

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 09-23-2014 11:03 AM

Whose impression was that when Lincoln danced, he looked like “old Father Jupiter bending down from the clouds to see what's going on"?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 09-23-2014 12:21 PM

Charles Sherwood Stratton?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 09-23-2014 12:24 PM

Arthur Murray?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 09-23-2014 01:35 PM

Smart guesses, but, sorry, not correct.

Hint #2: This gentleman was from Springfield.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Anita - 09-23-2014 01:52 PM

James Conkling wrote Merce Levering that when Lincoln danced, he looked like “old Father Jupiter bending down from the clouds to see what's going on.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 09-23-2014 03:17 PM

Excellent, Anita!!! Currently you can dance the worst way at the Oktoberfest in Munich which began last Saturday, and to do this with the uttermost grace you win the appropriate outfit (though I'm sure you dance gracefully in whatever outfit):
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VDN1ve_5d-Q

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Anita - 09-23-2014 04:03 PM

Great prize! Love the video. Thanks for sharing this Eva. I will need to arrive in Munich early so I can buy a dirndl. Mary Lincoln would love the modern elegant ones that look like fancy gowns.

Do you have a dirndl for Oktoberfest?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 09-23-2014 05:54 PM

Beautiful neighborhood, Roger (yes, this is a Dirndl)!

Glad you like the prize, Anita! I would like to have a Dirndl (a pink one...), but it would be very odd to wear it at the Baltic Sea. In Bavaria it is fine at every age and at every time. Well, despite that I don't drink alcohol, thus no beer, I am addicted to the sea, and at all prefer to vacation abroad (at the sea).

Shameless plug: My personal Oktoberfest is "Kieler Woche", the greatest sailing event in the world and the largest summer festival in northern Europe at the most wonderful time of the year, end of June, when night won't fall before ~11.30 PM: http://www.kieler-woche.de/english/events/index.php

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 09-23-2014 06:11 PM

(09-23-2014 05:54 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Beautiful neighborhood, Roger (yes, this is a Dirndl)!

Eva, I think you gave Anita a great prize! Anita, the Prize Vault has been replenished, and if you like this dirndl, I can send it to you. It is labeled a dirndl on the Prize Vault's tag (I know nothing of fashion). I asked the neighbor lady to try it on, and I took this photo of her.

[Image: 5b41bbc1b7c47c634ef7ecb23c011c26.jpg]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnToddFan - 09-23-2014 07:54 PM

(09-23-2014 05:54 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Beautiful neighborhood, Roger (yes, this is a Dirndl)!

Glad you like the prize, Anita! I would like to have a Dirndl (a pink one...), but it would be very odd to wear it at the Baltic Sea. In Bavaria it is fine at every age and at every time. Well, despite that I don't drink alcohol, thus no beer, I am addicted to the sea, and at all prefer to vacationate abroad (at the sea).

Shameless plug: My personal Oktoberfest is "Kieler Woche", the greatest sailing event in the world and the largest summer festival in northern Europe at the most wonderful time of the year, end of June, when night won't fall before ~11.30 PM: http://www.kieler-woche.de/english/events/index.php

Eva E.,

You are addicted to the sea? Same as me!Tongue

In fact, the older I get the more I am thinking about returning to my roots in the Midwest, where my family is. But that means I would have to give up my proximity to the Pacific Ocean. Since the age of about 11 I have never lived more than 15-20 minutes from the beach. I just can't bring myself to do it....yet!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Anita - 09-24-2014 02:50 PM

(09-23-2014 06:11 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  

Eva, I think you gave Anita a great prize! Anita, the Prize Vault has been replenished, and if you like this dirndl, I can send it to you. It is labeled a dirndl on the Prize Vault's tag (I know nothing of fashion). I asked the neighbor lady to try it on, and I took this photo of her.
Thank you Roger, I accept. I may need a larger size than your neighbor wears. Eva you will have to come up with an outfit for a gentleman prize winner.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 09-24-2014 06:55 PM

Here you go, Anita! The outfit for a gentleman prize winner, a pair of Lederhosen, exclusively presented to the forum by Roger's neighbor lady's boyfriend:
[attachment=992]
...and Abraham Lincoln's slippers are quite in line (but, sorry, not included):
[attachment=993]

Abroad (from the Bavarian point of view any place outside Bavaria), the gentlemen might prefer a more casual and less traditional look:
[attachment=994]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Anita - 09-24-2014 07:53 PM

(09-24-2014 06:55 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Here you go, Anita! The outfit for a gentleman prize winner, a pair of Lederhosen, exclusively presented for the forum by Roger's neighbor lady's boyfriend:

...and Abraham Lincoln's slippers are quite in line (but, sorry, not included):

Abroad (from the Bavarian point of view any place outside Bavaria), the gentlemen might prefer a more casual and less traditional look:
Thanks Eva for a very nice pair of Lederhosen for the prize vault. Lincoln's slippers definitely coordinate. I wonder what Lincoln would have looked like in Lederhosen!