Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Wild Bill - 09-04-2014 12:51 PM

The Wormley House hotel is most famous in US History as where the North and South met in 1877 and agreed to end Reconstruction with the South supposedly getting the US troops withdrawn from interfering in Southern elections thus abandoning the Blacks to their fate as second class citizens and the North getting Rutherford B. Hayes elected peacefully to the Presidency. This was accomplished because many so-called Southern Democrats were actually pre-Civil War Whigs and wanted in on the Great Barbecue of economic development that ensued. Hayes was elected by a "neutral" commission of 15 which by a vote of 8 to 7 determined which way Southern state electoral votes would go, Republican or Democrat. Hayes won by 1 electoral vote against Samuel Tilden, the Demo reform candidate out of New York State. And you thought that the election of 2000 was crooked?! Hayes was known by several nicknames like "Rutherfraud," or "ol' 8 to 7" as disgusted Northern Democrats called him. He served only one term. Radical Republicans got James A Garfield elected in 1880 but he was assassinated before he could restore any Black civil rights. The race to Jim Crow (segregation) was on, becoming installed finally by the 1890s when the Lodge Force Act failed in Congress. It took until 1965 to restore Black civil rights, the era of the 1960s becoming known as the Second Reconstruction.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 09-04-2014 08:19 PM

Quite a few sources on the Wormley House and the Wormley Agreement make note of the irony that the political shenanigans conducted in the establishment of a black man ended up hurting the black race for generations.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnToddFan - 09-04-2014 10:19 PM

(09-04-2014 12:01 PM)Linda Anderson Wrote:  Thank you, Eva, but you answered the question and so deserve the rewards.

Toia, one of the commentators in the Streets of Washington article says that he is a descendant of Mr. Wormley.

http://www.streetsofwashington.com/2012/09/the-talented-mr-james-wormley.html

Also, there is a document in the Seward Papers that recounts Wormley's visit to Auburn with Seward.

"In addition to Frances’ work, there is an indication that William Seward, while a senator in Washington, DC, worked with African American hotelkeeper, James Wormley, to transport fugitives to freedom. A c. 1870 manuscript by Francis B. Carpenter in the Seward Papers notes:
“Among the visitors in the evening was Mr. Wormley, the well known colored landlord of Washington. Greeting him cordially and introducing him to his other guests, Mr. Seward said: ‘Wormley and I went into the emancipation business a year and a half before Mr. Lincoln did,
down on the James River. How was it Wormley – how many slaves did we take off on our steamer?’ ‘Eighteen,’ replied Mr. Wormley.”16

16 Francis B. Carpenter, “A Day with Governor Seward at Auburn,” handwritten mss., no date
[prob. July 1870], Seward Papers.

http://www.cayugacounty.us/portals/0/history/ugrr/report/PDF/5f.pdf
p. 122.

Thanks Linda, Eva, Laurie, Bill, and everyone else. I am now so intrigued by this Wormley and his hotel establishment I have been doing Google searches for the past few days.

In some ways this Forum is becoming the financial undoing of me..I can't stick to a budget because every time someone here suggests a new book, I rush to try and order it!

So I guess it's back to dropping hints to friends and family members about what ol' Toia would like to receive for Christmas gifts. It's always worked in the past. I feel kind of sneaky resorting to this, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do, right? Wink

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 09-15-2014 05:43 AM

Here is President Lyndon Johnson at the dedication of an Abraham Lincoln statue. Where is he (and the statue)?

[Image: whereisthisstatue100.jpg]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - STS Lincolnite - 09-15-2014 08:59 AM

Since it is Monday morning, I couldn't help but come up with a smart alec answer to the questions "Where is Johnson?" and "Where is the Lincoln statue?" Big Grin

See the included photo.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - STS Lincolnite - 09-15-2014 10:03 AM

Now after my smart alec response, I'll a try at a real one. I once read that Johnson spoke at the dedication of a Lincoln Statue in Mexico City, Mexico but I have never seen a photo so I don't know if this is it or not.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 09-15-2014 10:16 AM

Kudos, Scott. Both of your answers are absolutely correct!

You and your entire family win a free trip to:

Heritage Days – Get Hooked on History

May 16, 2015
10 a.m. – 3 p.m.

A look into the past in Price County and all that makes us who we are. Enjoy interactive history stations for the kids, tools and skills used by early European settlements in the area, an authentic Fur Trade Era re-enactor’s camp, ethnic food booths by area churches, stage performances with five (5) hours of continuous traditional music, ethnic dancers & singers, musical instrument makers, storytellers, working blacksmith and demonstrations of many old skills, tools and weapons. Celebrate our northern Wisconsin heritage! Fun for the whole family.

http://www.friendsoffredsmith.org/

RE: Extra Credit Questions - STS Lincolnite - 09-15-2014 11:02 AM

Thank you Roger, I most graciously accept your kind reward!

I wasn't sure if the Mexico City guess was correct...I was sure I had seen that statue before (but I have never been to Mexico City). Then it dawned on me, that statue is in Lincoln Park in Chicago. So I looked it up and sure enough there are 3 version of the statue - Original in Lincoln Park Chicago, Copies in Paliament Square in London and Parque Lincoln in Mexico City.

A testament to Mr. Lincoln that he is recognized and represented by statues in other parts of the world. Hmmm...I think I may open a thread asking what other world cities are the home to Lincoln satues.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 09-15-2014 11:11 AM

Scott, like you, I had never seen that photo prior to early this morning. I was just browsing around, looking for a trivia question, and happened upon this.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 09-15-2014 06:09 PM

(09-15-2014 11:11 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Scott, like you, I had never seen that photo prior to early this morning. I was just browsing around, looking for a trivia question, and happened upon this.

And I'll just bet that someone on this forum already has a lengthy list going of where Lincoln statues are located all over the world! About thirty years ago, Ed Steers and Joan Chaconas put together a booklet on the subject entitled Everlasting in the Hearts of His Countrymen, but I cannot remember whether it was just on D.C., the U.S., or worldwide.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 09-17-2014 06:30 AM

Well then, where is this statue located?
[attachment=944]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 09-17-2014 07:01 AM

Guatemala?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 09-17-2014 07:32 AM

This is a very smart guess, Roger, but, I'm sorry, not correct!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 09-17-2014 07:51 AM

Hawaii?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 09-17-2014 10:13 AM

Brilliant, Laurie! Here's some interesting info on the statue:
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/23145
Laurie, since I know you wouldn't appreciate the Hawaiian climate - instead of a trip to see the statue, you win a supply of typical 1950s German party food for your next Hula party:
http://www.live-like-a-german.com/recipes/show/115/toast-hawaii
The toasts will be exclusively delivered by him:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CR9WJToFsTs