Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 08-15-2014 08:08 PM

The sketch is the Colossus of Rhodes, isn't it? D.C. had a colonial tavern named the Rhodes Tavern until the 1970s when developers won the fight and got it torn down. Most colonial taverns also had rooms upstairs for boarders. It would have been around during Lincoln's time as a Congressman, but I never heard of him visiting there.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 08-16-2014 12:59 AM

Very smart guess and fascinating info, Laurie! The answer is, I'm sorry to say, not correct, but you are on the very right track as for where to find the clue of my hints. The Colossus might have served as a sort of lighthouse, too, but looked rather like this:
[attachment=860]
Hint #3: Think lighthouse (again)! (And -additionally, no wonder- library!)
Hint #4: "Location" only refers to the city/village/place where the hotel/boardinghouse was located, not to the name of the building.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-16-2014 04:47 AM

(08-16-2014 12:59 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Hint #3: Think lighthouse (again)!
Hint #4: "Location" only refers to the city/village/place where the hotel/boardinghouse was located, not to the name of the building.

I am thinking Lighthouse of Alexandria. So is this the building where Elmer Ellsworth lost his life? Marshall House?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 08-16-2014 05:50 AM

Kudos, Roger, you've got it!!!
I found the photo here:
http://alexandriava.gov/historic/fortward/default.aspx?id=40044

...together with the following account of the incident by Benjamin Barton, an Alexandria watchmaker and silversmith who operated a shop at 324 King Street:
"...at daylight in the morning, without opposition - the Virginians leaving as the northern soldiers entered, - it would have been done without blood shed had not Col. Ellsworth too hastily taken down a Southern flag, flying over the Marshall House, south east corner of King and Pitt Streets,... James Jackson, the proprietor of the Hotel, met the Colonel on the stairway and in the altercation shot him dead, one of the soldiers accompanying Ellsworth, immediately shot Jackson dead, so two daring men fell at the onset: since then some few casualties have happened, yet our City remains quiet and we feel compairtively [sic] safe from harm: Sentries are placed in every part of town...
June 14, 1861
BENJAMIN BARTON"

The prize is best wishes for a good weekend!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-27-2014 01:55 PM

Where is this statue located?

[Image: young%20lincoln.jpg]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 08-27-2014 05:58 PM

Ok, this is one of the weakest guesses ever as it would be a too simple conclusion to be correct. If the dog is Fido - Springfield?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-27-2014 06:07 PM

Excellent guess, Eva. I am sorry, but it is not Springfield.

Hint #1: The dog is supposed to represent all the dogs in Lincoln's life, not just Fido.

Hint #1.5: Eva's guess is in the correct state.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 08-27-2014 07:49 PM

(08-27-2014 06:07 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Hint #1: The dog is supposed to represent all the dogs in Lincoln's life, not just Fido.

The statue is located on a nice college campus and was dedicated in 2009. It's called "Preparing for Greatness". Speaking for all the dogs in Lincoln's life, we're glad to have helped.
And he's reading one of my favorite books, Lincoln's Animal Friends, by Ruth Painter Randall. Old Bob, who's in a few statues too, and I are featured in chapter 11, fittingly titled "Old Bob and Fido" - Fido

http://www.amazon.com/Lincolns-Animal-Friends-Incidents-Intimate/dp/B0006AVHYM/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1409182738&sr=1-8

Be patient. Good quality copies show up every now and then.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 08-27-2014 11:08 PM

(Just to add: in Jacksonville.)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-28-2014 04:54 AM

Kudos Gene and Eva - you are both correct!

http://www.sj-r.com/article/20091017/News/310179951

You both win best wishes for a nice Labor Day weekend (although I am thinking Monday is not a holiday in Germany, Eva).

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 08-28-2014 05:45 AM

Thanks, Roger! (Our Labor Day is May 1 btw.)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 08-28-2014 07:44 AM

Thanks Roger, that's a good picture of nice statue. And it's only about 35 miles west of Springfield. (in case you want to make a little side trip) A Happy Labor Day weekend to you too!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 08-28-2014 08:18 AM

Yes, Roger, happy Labor Day to you and everyone!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-30-2014 07:29 AM

What person was described as such?

"He knew much about the cost of things, the details of trade, the principles of mechanics, and the habits of animals, all of which showed the activity of his mind and the odd turn of his thoughts."

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 08-30-2014 07:42 AM

The "odd turn of his thoughts" makes me think of Rathbone?