Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 08-10-2014 11:23 PM

Is this the one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NqEKvk9F4I

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 08-11-2014 05:34 AM

Anita: you are absolutely correct! Hi-O!

Gene: that's the one! I don't remember why Winters was dressed that way.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 08-11-2014 06:10 AM

Who described A. L. as follows:

"I had studied his countenance a few moments beforehand, when his features were in repose. It was a marked face, but so overspread with sadness that I thought that Shakespeare's melancholy Jacques had been translated from the forest of Arden to the capital of Illinois."

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-11-2014 06:42 AM

Maybe Noah Brooks?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 08-11-2014 07:11 AM

Good guess, Roger, but, sorry, not correct. It's a good guess because
Hint #1: it was indeed a journalist.

Hint #2: It was this gentleman:
[attachment=844]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-11-2014 08:40 AM

A young John L. Scripps?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 08-11-2014 11:02 AM

Another excellent guess, Roger, but not he.
Hint #3: He covered the Lincoln-Douglas campaign of 1858 for an Illinois newspaper.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-11-2014 01:47 PM

I'll try once more - Henry Villard?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 08-11-2014 02:06 PM

Roger, you are so close - he was a friend of Henry Villard, who later made him editor of the "New York Evening Post".

Hint #4: The gentleman wrote about the campaign for the "Chicago Press and Tribune". Of this time he wrote:

"It was my good fortune to accompany Mr. Lincoln during his political campaign against Senator Douglas, in 1858, not only at the joint debates, but also at most of the smaller meetings, where his competitor was not present. We traveled together many thousands of miles..."

Hint #5: His name is used to describe a color (although it's actually all colors).

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 08-11-2014 05:06 PM

And speaking of Jonathan Winters (see previous trivia question/answer)- he has a skit he done in the 1960's- which was on one of his albums- where he takes on the roles of Lincoln, Grant, and even Booth. My dad had the album. I don't remember the content. He was very talented!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-11-2014 05:14 PM

(08-11-2014 02:06 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Hint #5: His name is used to describe a color (although it's actually all colors).

Horace White?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 08-11-2014 06:32 PM

Brilliant, Roger!!! Thanks for your endurance! I'm aware it was a hard(er) one (but the last hint was not too bad, was it?). I like this quote (and you last question reminded me of it) as to me it is quite illustrative and meaningful.

I often attended "As you like it", and like it. "All the world's a stage" is from this play.

Although Arden is a formerly heavily forested area in Warwickshire, England, not far from Shakespeare's Stratford-upon-Avon, Shakespeare's "As You Like" refers to the Ardennes forest in Thomas Lodge's prose romance Rosalynde, and the real Ardennes in southeast Belgium.

And the tristesse of the Ardennes is something I have vivid memories of, especially of the fog. At all, Belgium is one of the most melancholic countries I know, difficult to explain (but reminiscening Brazil, thinking of Belgium might raise some Americans' melancholy, too). As melancholic as Jaques Brel's (another melancholic Jaques...) chansons:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E7zgNye6HTE
A great Belgian chansonnier with an interesting bio and "melancholic" ending:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacques_Brel

Despite Jaques Brel, Belgium is famous for Hercules Poirot (fictionally), the surrealist painter René Magritte, chocolate, fries, beer, and laces - and if I remember correctly, Mary loved and purchased Brussels laces (can someone confirm?).

The Forest of Arden (1888 - 1897, possibly reworked 1908), Albert Pinkham Ryder. Oil on canvas, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York:
[attachment=845]
The Mock Marriage of Orlando and Rosalind from William Shakespeare's As You Like It, by Walter Howell Deverell:
[attachment=846]
PS: The least melancholic part of Belgium is the North Sea coast. I also recommend Brussels and Gent.

Roger, your prize is my best wishes for a very happy day tomorrow (which it here actually already is).

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rogerm - 08-11-2014 07:09 PM

Thanks for your mention of some things about Belgium, Eva. The song which you have included by Jacques Brel was adapted by Glen Campbell in 1968; and he translated the French title "ne quittes pas" into "Don't Go Away." The Belgians are the best in two things that are usually thought to be very American; namely French fries and waffles. Their weather is often cloudy and rainy, which might help to explain any melancholy aspect to their character.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 08-11-2014 07:28 PM

Thanks, Roger! Sure Magritte also had the Belgian weather in mind when he painted "Giaconda" in 1953:
[attachment=847]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 08-11-2014 07:33 PM

(08-10-2014 10:08 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Anita: no- not him. I'll give a clue: Robin Williams was also a guest on that same night.

Robin Williams died today!