Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-10-2014 10:27 AM

Logical guess, Joe, but it's not correct.

Hint #1: Eva and Joe are right in that the (alleged) incident happened during Lincoln's presidency. It's not from his Kentucky, Indiana, or Illinois years.

Hint #1.5: The location of the (alleged) incident was not inside the White House.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-10-2014 02:22 PM

Hint #1.75: The alleged incident happened in Washington.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - PaigeBooth - 08-10-2014 02:56 PM

I don't know where this happened, but I feel like Ward Lamon might have said this???????????

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-10-2014 03:11 PM

Very smart guess, Paige, but the comment was not made by Lamon.

Hint #2: The alleged incident happened in 1863.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Wild Bill - 08-10-2014 03:35 PM

Alexander K. McClure

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-10-2014 04:02 PM

Yet another excellent guess, Bill, but incorrect.

Hint #2.5: The alleged incident involving Lincoln was used in 1973 as a stratagem to try to get President Richard Nixon to do something; as expected, Nixon refused.

Hint #2.75: Carl Sandburg included the 1863 incident involving Lincoln in The War Years. But I think most experts nowadays think it never happened.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - JB Banning - 08-10-2014 04:51 PM

Roger,

Does this have something to do with someone's "alleged disloyalty?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-10-2014 05:04 PM

Hint #3: The answer to Joe's question is "yes."

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 08-10-2014 05:07 PM

Does this have anything to do with his unscheduled appearance before the committee on the conduct of the war, regarding questions on Mary's loyalty?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-10-2014 05:58 PM

That's it, Gene. Very good! The Congressional Committee on the Conduct of the War met in secret session in 1863 to consider the rumors of Mary's alleged treason. Some history books say Lincoln himself appeared before the committee to defend his wife. One person present described Lincoln as follows: "The pathos that was written upon Lincoln's face, the almost inhuman sadness that was in his eyes as he looked upon us, and above all an indescribable sense of his complete isolation - the sad solitude which is inherent in all true grandeur of character and intellect...."

I believe several scholars, including Mark Neely and Ed Steers, have researched the alleged appearance by Lincoln and concluded it never happened.

I cannot think of a prize for this. Joe is a winner, too, as he was on the right track. So I will just send best wishes to both of you gentlemen.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - JB Banning - 08-10-2014 07:18 PM

I can't think of a better prize.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 08-10-2014 09:17 PM

What famous comic once appeared on Johnny Carson dressed as a Union officer?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Anita - 08-10-2014 09:43 PM

Was it Steven Wright?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 08-10-2014 10:08 PM

Anita: no- not him. I'll give a clue: Robin Williams was also a guest on that same night.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Anita - 08-10-2014 10:17 PM

Thanks for the hint. Jonathon Winters! I remember seeing it when it first aired.