Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 06-29-2014 05:05 PM

Excellent guess, Eva! Many Lincoln books do say this. Surprisingly, it was not the Lincolns. Recently a researcher discovered the real author's name.

P.S. Your guess was so good and logical - you win my very best wishes for Germany to beat Algeria in Monday's match.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 06-29-2014 05:52 PM

Hint #1: It was written by a teenaged girl who did not even live in Illinois. She lived in St. Louis.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 06-30-2014 04:57 AM

This is such a recent discovery that I cannot think of more clues. Two years ago I received an email from James Cornelius telling me of a new find. The real author of "Little Eddie" had been discovered. She was a young girl whose name was Mary E. Chamberlain, but she was using the pseudonym Ethel Grey.

The whole story is online. Please see the article by Sam Wheeler entitled "Solving a Lincoln Literary Mystery: ‘Little Eddie’" here.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 06-30-2014 05:26 AM

Wow, what a find IMO! Thanks for bringing this up, Roger! Very interesting also how it comes that false assumptions (the parents wrote it) become popular belief.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 07-12-2014 05:33 AM

Two part question:

Who wrote this letter?
To whom was it written?

[Image: whowrotetheletter.jpg]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 07-12-2014 08:11 AM

I'll guess it was written to Ida Tarbell.

Does this have anything to do with Grace Bedell?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 07-12-2014 08:18 AM

(That the letter mentioned in the letter was Grace Bedell's came to my mind, too, but that doesn't answer any of the two questions...)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 07-12-2014 08:35 AM

Gene and Eva, you are both on the right track. Grace Bedell wrote the letter. (Ida Tarbell is not involved, Gene).

To whom did Grace Bedell write the letter?

Both of you win best wishes for a nice weekend (and Eva that includes Germany beating Argentina tomorrow).

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 07-12-2014 09:23 AM

(07-12-2014 08:35 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  To whom did Grace Bedell write the letter?

Robert Lincoln's wife, Mary Harlan Lincoln?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 07-12-2014 01:08 PM

Correct, Gene. Very good! I believe nowadays the original letter Grace wrote to Abraham is in the Burton Historical Collection of the Detroit Public Library.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 07-12-2014 01:55 PM

(07-12-2014 08:35 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Both of you win best wishes for a nice weekend (and Eva that includes Germany beating Argentina tomorrow).
That would be more than nice - that would be fantastic!!! I hope with such good wishes it will work out!!!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 07-20-2014 05:20 AM

Mary Lincoln attended one of the Lincoln-Douglas Debates. Which one did she attend?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 07-20-2014 06:32 AM

The last one in Alton. Plus Robert as a member of the "Springfield Cadets".

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 07-20-2014 06:42 AM

Kudos, Eva! Among other things Alton is known for its orchestra. You win one free ticket to hear the Alton Symphony Orchestra.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 07-20-2014 06:56 AM

Thank you, I love the prize!