Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 05-30-2014 06:40 PM

Not in my Protestant Episcopal home.... And, my apologies to Mother Goose for not citing her, since I believe that she created the entire poem - starting with Monday's child.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnToddFan - 05-31-2014 04:11 PM

(05-30-2014 03:30 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Sunday? (In case it was Sunday - I didn't look it up or so, but I'm very sure I read it somewhere.)

Yes, that is right. I read that he was born at around dawn on a rainy Sunday morning. His wife Mary Todd was also born during a rainy Sunday...but in the evening instead of morning.

And Abe died at sunrise on a Saturday morning, again during rain, while Mary died in the evening on Sunday July 16th 1882, which was also the anniversary of the death of her father and one day after that of Taddie.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 06-01-2014 11:49 AM

Well then, here's the Sabbath trivia question:

Lincoln, thinking of the profanity of Episcopalian William Seward (sorry, Laurie, not my thought), once inquired: "You are an Episcopalian, aren't you,...?" When the answer was "Yes", President Lincoln replied: "I thought so. You Episcopalians all swear alike."

Who was the respective Episcopalian?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 06-01-2014 12:13 PM

[Image: 404056-200px.jpeg]
William Fessenden

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 06-01-2014 04:12 PM

Divine, Roger, it was Fessenden!
Your prize are my best wishes:
[attachment=685]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 06-06-2014 08:52 AM

During Abraham Lincoln's inaugural train ride to Washington a boy was arrested for throwing a snowball at the President-elect. In what city (and state) did this incident occur?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 06-06-2014 10:04 AM

Hint #1: It happened in the same state where Mary Lincoln decided her husband's (clothing) appearance needed an upgrade.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Anita - 06-06-2014 12:18 PM

Syracuse, New York. Also arrested, a cross-eyed rag picker for squinting at the President. It was Utica where Mary decided Lincoln could use an updated wardrobe.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 06-06-2014 01:29 PM

Brilliant, Anita! Kudos.

Because this question involved snow your prize is one free polar vortex (to give away if you so choose).

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Anita - 06-06-2014 02:26 PM

Thanks so much Roger! I am writing this from the desert community of La Quinta, CA where it is currently 107 F. Your prize is spot on.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 06-14-2014 01:27 PM

What were the "Rebecca" letters?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 06-14-2014 02:07 PM

http://www.kelseyst.com/publications/rebecca_letters.htm
or were you referring to this....

In 1842 Abraham Lincoln, Mary Todd along with one of her friends, Julia Jayne, wrote a series of political letters to the Sangamon Journal that were laced with satire and aimed at James Shields and signed "Rebecca". Shields became very upset and demanded the editor furnish him with the authors name. Lincoln, chivalrously told the editor to tell Shields that he, Lincoln had written them. The incident got a bit more involved than Mary or Abraham intended and Shields challenged Lincoln to a duel. How much of the letters Lincoln actually wrote is still questioned.

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=lincoln;rgn=div1;view=text;idno=lincoln1;node=lincoln1%3A310

http://www.historynet.com/abraham-lincoln-prepares-to-fight-a-saber-duel.htm

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 06-14-2014 03:36 PM

Your second guess is absolutely correct. I had never heard of them until a Society member sent a small book published in 1968. Written by James Myers, it details the title story - The Astonishing Saber Duel of Abraham Lincoln.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 06-29-2014 04:46 PM

Sadly, Eddie Lincoln passed away in 1850. Five days after the funeral the poem below was printed "by request" in the Illinois Daily Journal. Who wrote the poem?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Those midnight stars are sadly dimmed,
That late so brilliantly shone,
And the crimson tinge from cheek and lip,
With the heart's warm life has flown -
The angel of Death was hovering nigh,
And the lovely boy was called to die.

The silken waves of his glossy hair
Lie still over his marble brow,
And the pallid lip and pearly cheek
The presence of Death avow.
Pure little bud in kindness given,